Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Australia

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    When I first saw the post I too thought you were in some way trying to trivialize the severity of the Australia fires, but I wasn’t sure that was actually your intent.
    I didn't know what the intent was either Scoots is generally not a knee jerk poster... But I know how the yahoo's on here are going to interpret it. Just look at sluggo's references.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I didn't know what the intent was either Scoots is generally not a knee jerk poster... But I know how the yahoo's on here are going to interpret it. Just look at sluggo's references.
    Agreed, it seemed atypical for him. Hence my uncertainty

When I first saw the post I too thought you were in some way trying to trivialize the severity of the Australia fires, but I wasn’t sure that was actually your intent.
    It was just a stat. There was a lot of talk about the physical area and the loss of animal life in Australia I don't know why it would have to be re-stated, when I saw the structure numbers it was an interesting comparison to just one of the recent major fires in CA. Numbers can just be numbers, they don't have to have spin.

I have friends who were in both fires (Australia and California), and frankly I don't know how one has a "side" in a ... competition? ... between fires.

So ... in order to not be accused of intentionally trying to mislead one must include all available data on both sides in any comparison. Got it.
    Last edited by Scoots; 01-12-2020 at 11:44 AM.

Is that what you think you did, link an expert? numbeo.com?

You are probably the worst person I've seen at actually analyzing the source of information. You consider any information equally valid. For the record, that website is literally a survey:

This section is based on surveys from visitors of this website. Questions for these surveys are similar to many similar scientific and government surveys.
    Each entry in the survey is saved as the number in the range [-2, +2], with -2 having meaning of strongly negative and +2 meaning of strongly positive.
    We filter surveys to eliminate potential spam, like people entering a large amount of data which are differentiating from the median value.
    To present survey result, we use the scale [0, 100] for values since it is easier to read for users.
    OK. We can play some more.

Let's try this one…
    http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...ted-countries/

And this one…
    https://www.airvisual.com/world-most-polluted-countries

and another…
    https://qz.com/794542/air-pollution-...late-matter/\\

and we have filthy cities like Flint. So let's see how the US compares on the "dirty city" list…
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/05/healt...ntl/index.html

and let's be fair…
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...xide_emissions

Several points to be made here………

1 The various lists seem to be in a reasonable agreement as to which countries are clean and which countries are not. The US is generally listed in or near the top ten of clean countries. And, and this is really exciting, the US compares very favorably with the Scandinavian countries…you know those places that do everything right, everything is perfect, everyone speaks multiple languages and their kids travel in sailboats to attend meetings where they can yell at adults.

2. It should be pointed out that where the US come in 9-10, we have nearly 4X the population of the countries ahead of us and we are also much larger. While the US is actually accomplishing major things and creating stuff (all while maintaining diversity), the Scandinavians pretty much produce Legos and assembly needed furniture with near zero diversity.

3. The Wikipedia chart does indicate that the US still does generate a good deal of CO2 emissions, but that can stem from our huge economy (that supports other economies around the world,) and large population. It is interesting to note that over a near 30 year period, US CO2 emissions have not increased at all despite a growing economy while China and India's CO2 emissions have more than tripled over the same period. Russia (way to go Russia) has decreased their emissions significantly.

4. If you want to point out that we owe more due to past "sins," that can be countered by the fact that the current polluting countries have all the advantages of the R&D and other advances we have made in getting to where we are today. They don't have to do what we did or spend what we spent to utilize methods and systems tat we have already learned.

Overall point……In short, we have done our share and continue to do so. It is time for others to step up to the plate. When Trump pulls us out of whatever the French agreement was called it is because of items like this. And he's right.

Now what does all this really mean??? Pretty much nothing. You have your views and "studies" from "experts" done in a manner that you like and won't believe any of it.

It is interesting to note that different "studies" seem to keep coming up with the same polluting countries and the same cleaner countries. That would indicate consistence to me. But not to you, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post

Let's try this one…

And this one…

and another…

and we have filthy cities like Flint. So let's see how the US compares on the "dirty city" list…

and let's be fair…

1 The various lists seem to be in a reasonable agreement as to which countries are clean and which countries are not. The US is generally listed in or near the top ten of clean countries. And, and this is really exciting, the US compares very favorably with the Scandinavian countries…you know those places that do everything right, everything is perfect, everyone speaks multiple languages and their kids travel in sailboats to attend meetings where they can yell at adults.

2. It should be pointed out that where the US come in 9-10, we have nearly 4X the population of the countries ahead of us and we are also much larger. While the US is actually accomplishing major things and creating stuff (all while maintaining diversity), the Scandinavians pretty much produce Legos and assembly needed furniture with near zero diversity.

3. The Wikipedia chart does indicate that the US still does generate a good deal of CO2 emissions, but that can stem from our huge economy (that supports other economies around the world,) and large population. It is interesting to note that over a near 30 year period, US CO2 emissions have not increased at all despite a growing economy while China and India's CO2 emissions have more than tripled over the same period. Russia (way to go Russia) has decreased their emissions significantly.

4. If you want to point out that we owe more due to past "sins," that can be countered by the fact that the current polluting countries have all the advantages of the R&D and other advances we have made in getting to where we are today. They don't have to do what we did or spend what we spent to utilize methods and systems tat we have already learned.

Overall point……In short, we have done our share and continue to do so. It is time for others to step up to the plate. When Trump pulls us out of whatever the French agreement was called it is because of items like this. And he's right.

Now what does all this really mean??? Pretty much nothing. You have your views and "studies" from "experts" done in a manner that you like and won't believe any of it.

It is interesting to note that different "studies" seem to keep coming up with the same polluting countries and the same cleaner countries. That would indicate consistence to me. But not to you, I'm sure.
    I'm just gonna use one example, number 3, to point how stupid sluggo actually is.

He is using the stats of a country undergoing development and comparing them to the stats of an already developed country. If you want to compare us pollution vs other countries as a measure of how well we are doing, then you would need to compare the era of development in the us to the era of development of other countries.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Let's try this one…

And this one…

and another…

and let's be fair…

The real question is do you think there is a problem that needs to be addressed? If the answer is “yes” then pointing fingers does nothing to improve the situation. If your answer is “no” then others disagree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Let's try this one…

And this one…

and another…

and let's be fair…

To me yes it also indicates the same thing. Having looked at all your links, every single one said the same thing: net, per person, per capita. Essentially, the pollution per person is very good, but as you pointed out, we have a lot of people so our overall actual pollution is very high (2nd in the world, as all your links actually agree with).

I admire your attempt to actually look at data, though obviously since you are so inexperienced at it you didn't really know what you were looking at. But I'll give you points for trying.

To me yes it also indicates the same thing. Having looked at all your links, every single one said the same thing: net, per person, per capita. Essentially, the pollution per person is very good, but as you pointed out, we have a lot of people so our overall actual pollution is very high (2nd in the world, as all your links actually agree with).

I admire your attempt to actually look at data, though obviously since you are so inexperienced at it you didn't really know what you were looking at. But I'll give you points for trying.
    I mean... I think I might actually hate sluggo... but this comment just makes you look like an ***.

I take the spiderman approach. With great power comes great responsibility. If our response as the wealthiest and most innovative country in the world is... Look at china and india... well that's just lame.

Also some of what makes our air "clean" is simply population density. I would be curious as to what air polution would look like in the US if you just took out alaska. Data is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I mean... I think I might actually hate sluggo... but this comment just makes you look like an ***.
    Considering it's intent was to make an ***hole comment to him. Mission accomplished.

The dude links a survey and calls it experts and then says that I don't know how to look at data. Darn right I'm going to be an ***hole back.

Okay…here you go.

Your question…Point out when this has happened on this scale or be label as a idiot talking out of arse.

My answer…I can't. This seems to be a major event for the Aussies that has never happened before.

Now you answer……what caused several ice ages to come and go before massive amounts of people and fossil fuels. Cooling and heating and cooling and heating on massive proportions before very many people and the discovery and consumption of fossil fuels. What caused that????
    Global Warming is just a cycle!

Just a narrative Bernie and the Dems run on.
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 01-13-2020 at 04:45 PM.
    My Top 3 Rush Guitar solos

1. La Villa Strangiato
    2. Limelight
    3. Between the Wheels

Australia

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Global Warming is just a cycle!

Just a narrative Bernie and the Dems run on.
    I think you are confusing the climate and water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ewing; 01-13-2020 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

I think he is just daze and confused

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I'm just gonna use one example, number 3, to point how stupid sluggo actually is.

He is using the stats of a country undergoing development and comparing them to the stats of an already developed country. If you want to compare us pollution vs other countries as a measure of how well we are doing, then you would need to compare the era of development in the us to the era of development of other countries.
    Try to avoid using personal insulting language.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Try to avoid using personal insulting language.
    My bad

Sorry sluggo
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910