Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Giants sign Tyson Ross 1-year 1.75 million

Latest Giants transaction is Tyson Ross to SF. Injury plagued season last year, minor league deal.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...san-francisco/

I like it. Might be able to get a decent prospect if he has a good start.

He has a 3.38 ERA at Oracle in 40 innings. Could be a solid pickup. Maybe this hints at possibly moving shark or cueto with all the depth now

Quote Originally Posted by steveweve View Post
    He has a 3.38 ERA at Oracle in 40 innings. Could be a solid pickup. Maybe this hints at possibly moving shark or cueto with all the depth now
    This acquisition isn't going to force a trade for Samardzija or Cueto. They're the only two reliable starters among the options they currently have. Of the guys they've signed - Ross, Anderson, Gausman - Gausman is the only one locked into the rotation. The others are just depth moves like Zaidi likes to have. Ross is going to compete for a spot on the team. Hopefully he can find success here and stay healthy.

Not bad pickup..would rather it be Nelson, Walker, or Salazar

Quote Originally Posted by 4GiantWarrior9 View Post
    Not bad pickup..would rather it be Nelson, Walker, or Salazar
    Salazar and Walker would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    This acquisition isn't going to force a trade for Samardzija or Cueto. They're the only two reliable starters among the options they currently have. Of the guys they've signed - Ross, Anderson, Gausman - Gausman is the only one locked into the rotation. The others are just depth moves like Zaidi likes to have. Ross is going to compete for a spot on the team. Hopefully he can find success here and stay healthy.
    I disagree to a slight extent. Sure the depth is nice, but if a corresponding addition takes place within the pitching staff, I would not be shocked if shark or cueto is moved.

Samardizja and Cueto are 2 of the more reliable starting pitchers we have, but there are plenty of guys that can complete the innings.

A transaction closer to the deadline near the middle of the season would be most likely, but I'm hoping they move another bad contract, even if its at the expense of calling up guys we don't know to fill innings throughout this season.

We have nothing to compete for this year. If we can move these guys, we should.

Beede/Gausman/Rodriguez/Webb are all expected to get a chance in the rotation, they are building depth aside of this, and this opens potential for possibly moving one of the 2.

Zaidi's philosophy is likely 'what makes us a better organization 3 years from now'. If he can manage to unload Cueto's contract or get value for Shark's last year (which teams are surely interested in -- shark), it will put them in a better position.

Filling innings is a concern, but the more depth they add the more likely this becomes. They can fill the innings. MLB roster talent + Zaidi transactions can fill the inning gap created from a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by steveweve View Post
    I disagree to a slight extent. Sure the depth is nice, but if a corresponding addition takes place within the pitching staff, I would not be shocked if shark or cueto is moved.

Samardizja and Cueto are 2 of the more reliable starting pitchers we have, but there are plenty of guys that can complete the innings.

A transaction closer to the deadline near the middle of the season would be most likely, but I'm hoping they move another bad contract, even if its at the expense of calling up guys we don't know to fill innings throughout this season.

We have nothing to compete for this year. If we can move these guys, we should.

Beede/Gausman/Rodriguez/Webb are all expected to get a chance in the rotation, they are building depth aside of this, and this opens potential for possibly moving one of the 2.

Zaidi's philosophy is likely 'what makes us a better organization 3 years from now'. If he can manage to unload Cueto's contract or get value for Shark's last year (which teams are surely interested in -- shark), it will put them in a better position.

Filling innings is a concern, but the more depth they add the more likely this becomes. They can fill the innings. MLB roster talent + Zaidi transactions can fill the inning gap created from a trade.
    I'm not against moving these guys if we can find a deal. I'd be fine with it. However, I don't see them signing more than one reliable starter and they're not going to tank. That's why I believe they're going to keep these two at least through the first two months of the season.

Fair enough. It would be nice to see a bounce-back year for Cueto. He used to be such a beast

That's what I'm assuming as well. Expect Samardzija to be dealt by the deadline. Cueto likely sticks around unless someone is willing to eat a ton of his contract and/or send us useful prospects.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Yeah hopefully Jeff's value isn't crushed by the time the deadline comes (either injury or poor performance). Would think a contending team would give us a B level prospect for him. Thank god these contracts are starting to come off the books lol what a mess!

Shark's contract has worked out aight actually.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

I agree, Shark wasn't too bad of a deal, we got pretty much what was expected. I'm just not so sure we will be trading him or anyone at the deadline. Because... we might be contending !!! Ok we might be trading but to upgrade our chances to get into the playoffs. Ok if not then we will be in the playoffs in 2021 !!!

^^WE NEED THESE GUYS NOW.

Yeah, was referring to the money coming off the books. Shark has been solid.

Might be interesting to see what we might get for Shark. Too many questions around JC. His contract and that arm could go up in flames at any moment. Teams will stay away from him.