Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Theleafsnation.com had this article:
    Doerrie: Why the Maple Leafs Can and Should Acquire Alexandar Georgiev
    JANUARY 14, 2020, 11:20 AM | RACHEL DOERRIE

Also, this is from Elliotte Friedman’s 31 thoughts: Sportsnet.ca

19. Toronto fans tweeted up a storm of Jeremy Bracco trades to get Alexandar Georgiev from the Rangers, but it will take more than that. Georgiev beat the Islanders 6-2 on Monday, and while New York is looking for a talented forward who is ready to play, they realize how good Georgiev can be.

And then there’s this:

Phil Kocher
    @PhilKocher
    "There's a sense that the #NYR will be willing to retain as much as 50% of the salary. If that's the case, and the deal is right, then you can look at some of the big dogs like the #stlblues — maybe the #Bruins — to take a run at Kreider."

@DarrenDreger
    on #PlayLikeANewYorker
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 01-16-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Whenever the fan base tweets up a player of theirs to move for a player of the opposing team, RED FLAGS fly up. I have no qualms on the talent of Donnie Brascoe or Bracco. He's a small speedy forward. Here's my problem. The Rangers have really speedy young guys at 6'2" while Bracco is 5'9."

Ty Ronning, son of Cliff Ronning, similar frame and style scored 61 goals for the Vancouver Giants then stunk for 4 seasons with Hartford Wolfpack. Rangers thought they had a steal.

What the Rangers need a player who is really good at face offs, lateral move/puck handling, & works well when the Rangers forecheck. Now, that translates to ONE elite Center and ONE Power forward who can rattle someone's teeth, put in 15-20 gritty muscle stuffing goals. Either one addressed during this trade season would be great.

I hope the Rangers call up Kravtsov and Rykov to beef up the forward and defense. Just a taste of things to come.
    Last edited by Dr. Detfink; 01-16-2020 at 06:21 PM.

Darren Dreger
    @DarrenDreger
    ·
    13m
    Mentioned in the pregame show, the Leafs among the teams that have inquired about Rangers goalie Alexander Georgiev. No offer made. New York needs a lot to move him.

1. When is the expansion draft?
    2. Are we only allowed to protect one goaltender?

The Rangers wouldn't DARE not protect Lundqvist. If Staal has enough stroke to send native New Yorker Shattenkirk packing, Henrik has final say on everything.

On a brighter note, beating the Isles back to back felt sooooooo good!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    1. When is the expansion draft?
    2. Are we only allowed to protect one goaltender?
    Next summer (June 2021). Lundqvist would be a free agent and would not need protection unless he’s extended before then. We can only protect one goalie, but I’m pretty sure Igor is exempt because of the number of years he’s been in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was looking at Joe Fortunatos Twitter: he retweeted a convo with Darren Dreger where he was asked if Bracco was enough for Georgiev and if not would Johansen be enough. Dregers response was I’m not even sure if Kapanen is enough. Just imagine Kapanen with fellow Finn Kaapo on the same line or on a line with Panarin.

Ty

Now this also from Joe Fortunatos Twitter, Re twitter and John Shannon of Sportsnet.ca:

Joe Fortunato Retweeted

Blueshirts Breakaway
    @BlueshirtsBreak
    ·
    2h
    We've gone from "maybe the Rangers can get Bracco" to "maybe Kapanen wouldn't be enough" and people are still asking WHY the Rangers would trade Georgiev??
    Show this thread
    Joe Fortunato Retweeted

Blueshirts Breakaway
    @BlueshirtsBreak
    ·
    2h
    1) Because he's not going to be their #1 goalie next season
    2) He's not even the goalie with the highest upside currently on the roster
    3) HIS👏TRADE👏VALUE👏WILL👏NEVER👏BE👏HIGHER
    Quote Tweet

John Shannon
    @JShannonhl
    · 2h
    Tons of talk about Alexandar Georgiev being moved by the Rangers. Not sure why NYR would move a young stud goalie, who could their #1 next season...Doesn't make much sense.

RW Kapanen would be perfect fit, if the Rangers choose to trade Georgiev (do it NOW) to Toronto Maple Leafs.

Next season, Igor Shesterkin will be the starter with Lundqvist the back up, winking at the girls.

As much as I love Georgiev, he owns the Isles but he's not the best goalie the Rangers have. They have two young goalies who are going to be absolute beasts.

I’m not sure Georgiev will be moved until the offseason. The return that the Rangers are looking for is a good young roster forward. Those players don’t usually get moved in season.

Also at this point, Toronto is basically the only team looking to upgrade at goalie to help them this season, so as much talk as there’s been, you don’t really have too many teams bidding against each other. Once the season is over however, you will have non-playoff teams looking to the Rangers for help too. Teams like Nashville, San Jose, and Minnesota might have been able to get into the playoffs if their goalie situation wasn’t a tire fire. Detroit is in all likelihood looking for Jimmy Howard’s replacement.

This is being made a big deal by the fans and media because there are 3 good goalies on the roster right now, and you figure something’s gotta give. But the team if they don’t get what they’re looking for, should wait until the offseason to get more teams interested and drive up the asking price. Igor earned a call up, and you want to get a look at him before you ultimately make a decision. Send him back down after the deadline, and make a move around the draft.

The reason why Alexander Georgiev is being shopped/likely to be moved sooner rather than later is due to the fact, GM Jeff Gorton knows what I know, Georgiev has a stunning low 2.01 GGA against the Isles this season. Over the course of his career, Alex has an even more ridiculous stat low 1.00 GAA vs Isles over his career (as reported by Brooks).

Toronto is a playoff team, built to win now (and serious salary cap problems) would like a guy like Georgiev because they might run into the Isles.

Rest of the league. Not so much. Georgiev had a miserable Nov 3.48 GAA (6 starts) and 3.44 GAA (8 starts) in December.

The Red Wings are going to be sellers as well. They have been keeping close tabs on KHL goalie Yaroslav Askarov despite Filip Larsson #1 prospect likely to be called up next season.

It will be a VERY interesting trade deadline. I expect the Rangers to be sellers because even if they make the Playoffs, they're going nowhere unless they cut payroll and ugrade the Center, RW, and sort the defense out.

GAA means very little when you play on a team that bleeds scoring chances and shots against like this one does. Unless Toronto feels like they absolutely need Georgiev for the six or seven games he would actually play for them between the trade deadline and the end of the regular season, to the point that they’re willing to trade Kapanen, it doesn’t make sense to rush into trading him.

Quote Originally Posted by beast023 View Post
    GAA means very little when you play on a team that bleeds scoring chances and shots against like this one does. Unless Toronto feels like they absolutely need Georgiev for the six or seven games he would actually play for them between the trade deadline and the end of the regular season, to the point that they’re willing to trade Kapanen, it doesn’t make sense to rush into trading him.

If Andersson goes down so do the Leafs, that's the issue. They need a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    If Andersson goes down so do the Leafs, that's the issue. They need a backup.
    When a starter goes down, there usually is a significant drop off and even more so in the case of the Leafs. The question is, is that insurance worth parting with a player the caliber of Kapanen who would conceivably play a pretty big role in a playoff run whereas Georgiev would ideally not have to.

There shouldn’t be any real sense of urgency for Gorton to send Georgiev on his way.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast