Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I understand where you are coming from, but Shields wasn’t a has been. Something must have obviously been wrong with the guy since we acquired him because he never did anything for us.

Similar awful trade...Samarzdja for Semien. Shields has had a way better career than that bum.

But both were horrendous for us

Quote Originally Posted by shorvath721 View Post
    I understand where you are coming from, but Shields wasn’t a has been. Something must have obviously been wrong with the guy since we acquired him because he never did anything for us.

Similar awful trade...Samarzdja for Semien. Shields has had a way better career than that bum.
    He wasn't a has been, but he was clearly starting to hit the wall. Guy had thrown 200+ for like 10 years straight. 2015 before the trade was average and took a big step down. He was decent except for 1 start before the Sox traded for him in 2016.

All you had to see was his velocity fall from 2014-2016 from 93.6-92.2-91.1 to know he was probably done. It kept falling until he was officially done.

“””””
    Sockeye said:
    06-05-2016 10:53 PM
    “”””””Shields move means nothing. Instead of losing 7-2, maybe we lose 4 or 5 to 2. This team can't hit....period. Half the lineup is useless. Ventura can't manage. Sox will be sub.500 in short order. The hot start was a total abberation. This team could very well end up losing 90 games. The only positive to the Shields deal is that they did it early enough to still have time to flip him, if he doesn't completely wet the bed.

This thing needs to be blown up. Sell Mortimer, sell....!!!!

If Sox stand pat, or even worse, make another move and we end up a .500 team, KW, Hahn, Ventura and all have to pay with their jobs...“””

This was my comment from the day of the Shields trade. While no one knew what Tatis would turn into, (and anyone who claims they did are full of it.)...BUT, had White Sox brass recognized that the time was overdue for a complete rebuild, we more than likely would still have Tatis, because at that time, we would have been collecting prospects instead of giving them away.

At the time NOBODY knew who or what Fernando Tatis Jr. was - except for somebody in San Diego. It's easy to look back and say what a terrible deal, everybody gets that. I would think that by now we could have moved on from this already?

Rick Hahn has done a great job this offseason acquiring and locking down talent. The rebuild, at least on paper looks good. I'm ready to see the results on the field.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    At the time NOBODY knew who or what Fernando Tatis Jr. was - except for somebody in San Diego. It's easy to look back and say what a terrible deal, everybody gets that. I would think that by now we could have moved on from this already?

Rick Hahn has done a great job this offseason acquiring and locking down talent. The rebuild, at least on paper looks good. I'm ready to see the results on the field.
    I think it should just be a general baseball rule don't trade bloodline players for average players.

Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    I think it should just be a general baseball rule don't trade bloodline players for average players.
    Interesting thought - but how many of these bloodline players turn into anything? Tatis Senior had a few good years but he's not exactly HOF material. Once again, we can keep talking about how terrible a trade this was for ever, and you wouldn't be wrong, but to what end?
    If someone wants to say that Rick Hahn was a bad general manager in 2016, ok - no problem. One of the things that I will never understand, there is so much hope and optimism for the White Sox this year for the first time in a long time and yet … some can only dwell on negative things from the past.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Interesting thought - but how many of these bloodline players turn into anything? Tatis Senior had a few good years but he's not exactly HOF material. Once again, we can keep talking about how terrible a trade this was for ever, and you wouldn't be wrong, but to what end?
    If someone wants to say that Rick Hahn was a bad general manager in 2016, ok - no problem. One of the things that I will never understand, there is so much hope and optimism for the White Sox this year for the first time in a long time and yet … some can only dwell on negative things from the past.
    Some people suck lol. Everyone hated that trade. We also trade Eaton for Giolito, Lopez, Dunning. We traded Quintana for Eloy and Cease. We traded Navarro for Colome. Sale for Kopech and Moncada.

You can’t win them all, but we’ve been winning most lately. Move TF on!!!

Hey someone else brought it up, wouldn't have even thought about it otherwise. It was a bad trade, but the good trades recently have far outweighed that in recent years. ***** looking good right now.

It’s not so much the trade itself, as there was no way of knowing at the time, what would become of Tatis and there have been good trades since and very much reason for optimism. It was more the organizational philosophy at the time and I just wish we would have done the rebuild earlier. Which was probably above Hahn anyways. If we had torn it down a year or 2 earlier, who knows what 2019 and 2020 would be looking like right now. But what is done is done.

Let’s hope a majority of these moves pan out and we are competing for the division in 2020.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12