Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Phins hire Chan Gailey for OC out of retirement

Tom Pelissero
    Blast from the past: Chan Gailey is coming out of retirement to become the #Dolphins’ offensive coordinator, sources tell me and @RapSheet.

Well this pretty much guarantees Fitz is back I think.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Tom Pelissero
    Blast from the past: Chan Gailey is coming out of retirement to become the #Dolphins’ offensive coordinator, sources tell me and @RapSheet.

Well this pretty much guarantees Fitz is back I think.

I legit don't know how to feel about this....

I remember Gailey being a decent OC for sure. I dont think he was a world beater but had a decent offense and was forced out for no reason.

What I really dont understand is how this move makes any sense if you want to draft a young rookie or try to keep guys like Caldwell or Schuplinski. Bringing in a guy mainly because he worked with Fitz 5 years ago is dumb.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

After doing some digging, I'm even more confused about the move. Gailey seems like a complete stylistic change in offense. Gailey's offense was always one of the top teams in terms of 3 WR sets and even 4 WR sets. He also very rarely used TEs in his offense which is worrisome since Geiscki became the #2 guy later in the year. Although you can probably just move him to the same role that Enunwa played in his breakout year in New York.

It's also a shift in the run game. Completely different style of run game going from designed runs which required most of your blockers to win one on one matchups. Gailey will go to more of a simplistic style of run game which will make it so theres an easier hole to hit. Outside of the obvious spread style passing game, Gailey has always had a steady run game. He also likes to run the QB a lot since his college days were at GA tech and had the triple option.

I'm a little worried about the offense as a whole. It's hard not to feel like they're going all in on a 37 year old QB and we've seen this blow up for other teams with Fitz. But even outside of that I just feel like we're abandoning the entire offense that I actually really liked. Theres been reports that O'Sheas offense was overly complicated which made it harder on the oline and some younger players but that again makes me worry that Flo thinks the Olineman are better than they are. Plus going away from a guy that has shown a history of ruining TEs when Geiscki finally started to show up sucks.

But even with all that said, I think it could be worse. Gailey has always had a pretty decent offense and seems to fit the mold that Flo really wanted. Remember last year the names that were thrown out were Kingsburry and Greg Roman at OC. Both run a spread style and love to run the QB. I just hope Gailey can find a way to make some of these other pieces fit and adapt his style.

Gailey just fits what they want to do right now. He didn't always have 4wr wide as much as some think. Ck had some great info on Twitter why this move makes sense.

Yea CK basically said he used a lot of 4 WR sets but that was because they had 4 really good WRs. Hes used Enunwa and even Tony Gonzalez in that joker role so basically just treat Mike as a big WR. That model fits well with the talent Miami has so try to create more with those weapons than try and force production from poor TE play like we have with Smythe and Walford.

Also now Armando is trying to scare everyone by pointing out that Gailey didnt like Brees on 2000 because he was too small and how hes never developed a young QB, while pointing out hes worked with a ton of really and QBs. Hes basically trying to say that we should be afraid of the Dolphins thinking Fitz is the franchise guy.

Anyone who thinks the Phins think Fitz at 37 years old is a franchise guy is an idiot. They have been scouting QBs for years now getting ready to pick their guy. They where at games for Love last year and he couldn't he declare. They are doing this right and trying to help the young QB out best they can.

Young QBs always seem to do best when they sit for atleast part of thier rookie season. Yes some do well as rookies but if you look at all of the long term guys they all say part of the rookie season. Having Fitz who knows Gaileys O well in there will be huge. That was a issue last season on how things we're too complicated as some have said.

I honestly think the complicated part is more on the oline. The scheme just asked so much of these guys and it's clear that Flo expects more from Dieter. We know he fired Flaherty in part because of how he handled that situation and maybe O'Shea had a part in that as well. So maybe Flores was looking at the Dieter situation and how we will probably rely on at least another rook Olineman next year and decided it was the right move to make.

The Armando article was hilarious at how much fear mongering was in it. I'm one of the biggest critics of this current staff and even I cant see how Flo would change his entire multi-year plan because he thinks Fitz can become a star for the next 4-5 years.

I honestly hope the team passes on a QB this year just to see the writers go crazy.

I dont like the idea of changing systems after just one year, i wonder how long ago this was decided.

The whole thing is odd.

I kind of lost track of CG, but I kind of remember his offense being a little simplistic or predicatble and that was like 20 years ago. Has he evolved much? At all?

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin North View Post
    I kind of lost track of CG, but I kind of remember his offense being a little simplistic or predicatble and that was like 20 years ago. Has he evolved much? At all?
    He hasn't coached since 2016 so it's hard to say. He's been decent at times and bad at other times. But also coached with a lot of bad teams.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    I dont like the idea of changing systems after just one year, i wonder how long ago this was decided.

The whole thing is odd.
    Considering Gailey was retired I doubt this is something that just happened in the past few days. Flores probably reached out a few weeks ago.

My biggest issue is changing the scheme. Watching people break down the all 22 of the Pat's game just makes me sad because it was a legit great game against one of the best defenses in the NFL.
    Last edited by KodytheKing; 01-01-2020 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    He hasn't coached since 2016 so it's hard to say. He's been decent at times and bad at other times. But also coached with a lot of bad teams.

Considering Gailey was retired I doubt this is something that just happened in the past few days. Flores probably reached out a few weeks ago.

My biggest issue is changing the scheme. Watching people break down the all 22 of the Pat's game just makes me sad because it was a legit great game against one of the best defenses in the NFL.
    With how quick shae was fired and how quick chan was hired, this seems like it may of been decided on a long time ago.

This move allows O'Shea to head back to NE as OC to take over for McDaniels (if he gets HC spot somewhere), or allows him to move with McDaniels as his OC.

Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    This move allows O'Shea to head back to NE as OC to take over for McDaniels (if he gets HC spot somewhere), or allows him to move with McDaniels as his OC.
    All reports I see say his next job won't be at OC. Pat's already have a replacement if McDaniels leaves.

Flores and chad were on the patriots together for a very long time.

Yet flores fired him instead of a mutual agreement, i dont think this was a performance issue or x and os issue.

Its just not adding up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast