Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 289
  1. #226
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Staten island Ny
    Posts
    29,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    Please give me a reason why pushing the draft back doesn't make sense other than giving people something to watch ? The people you mention are only passionate football fans. Maybe that is only me but that is not a good enough reason . It is just in poor taste in these times.

    Maybe you would like to see the Miss America pagent or Miss Universe. I bet more woman would rather watch that than the pro football draft. More people would probably watch the Oscars than the draft. Would you be in favor of having that on TV because as you say, " it would give people something to watch"

    Watch a good movie instead. Try the Irishman , not a great movie but a decent one. You can watch it in 3 sittings. Or go watch The Godfather 1 and 2, or Citizen Kane , or High Noon or Gone with The Wind.

    If you are a sports guy, Hoosiers, The Lou Gherig Story, Bull Durham, The Natural, Raging Bull. You are obviously a football guy , try ,Remember THe Titans, We Are Marshall, The Blind Side, Rudy. That should keep you busy for many days.

    :" there are no reason to talk about people getting sick" , you are joking ? . People are dying in record numbers each and every day.

    The election coming up is one of the most important elections in some time. Do you see any debates on TV?. Most states have cancelled their up coming primaries. The Democrats have cancelled their convention for a month and the NFL can't cancel their draft for one month? Give me a break !!!

    Why is it that most GMs want the draft postponed ?
    Iím not getting into a political discussion with you old man lmao guess what??? You lose the draft is going on at the proper time. Thereís 0 reason to push it back and guess what they arenít pushing it back. Whether you watch it or not doesnít change anything.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

  2. #227
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,518
    Quote Originally Posted by xxplayerxx23 View Post
    Iím not getting into a political discussion with you old man lmao guess what??? You lose the draft is going on at the proper time. Thereís 0 reason to push it back and guess what they arenít pushing it back. Whether you watch it or not doesnít change anything.
    I was trying to have an intelligent conversation . Obviously you need 2 sides to have one !!Your response was snarky. You never gave me one reason for not postponing it , because you don't have one . This isn't a questioning of winning or losing, but whether it is right or wrong . I didn't ," lose ", and you didn't ,": win". That is just an immature characterzation , but I guess I couldn't expect anything more from you.

    We have beaten this to death and I am sorry I couldn't engage in conversation with someone who could step back from the forest and see the trees, not someone who needs a few hours of self gratificationto please himself !!!

    I expressed an opinion that is shared by many intelligent people , a great majority who are not on this forum.

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    49,216
    I think itís a fair point to push it back but we have to also maintain certain things with the assumption there will be a return to normal at some point in the next year.

    I donít think itís fair to the kids being drafted to delay this. I donít think itís fair to risk them not being on track to play next year when we have a perfectly reasonable alternative in doing a remote draft.

    The only risk or issue with doing a draft is if itís a live in person event. Itís not. So I donít see a need to postpone it.

  4. #229
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,518
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I think itís a fair point to push it back but we have to also maintain certain things with the assumption there will be a return to normal at some point in the next year.

    I donít think itís fair to the kids being drafted to delay this. I donít think itís fair to risk them not being on track to play next year when we have a perfectly reasonable alternative in doing a remote draft.

    The only risk or issue with doing a draft is if itís a live in person event. Itís not. So I donít see a need to postpone it.
    I too understand your point and the draft will be going on as scheduled.

    As to getting back to normal, I am not sure about that . The governor of California will not allow any football in the State until he gets a definite All Clear from medical professionals, not the POTUS and not from Roger Goodell.

    Hopefully, we can get our life back to a somewhat normal routine soon, fewer or no deaths, and a vaccine which is much more important than any sport.

    Without a vaccine, experts indicate that this virus could return later this year

  5. #230
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,020
    I do think having a draft is actually in the country's best interest. And I say this is as a physician who's whole life and practice has been turned upside down by this crisis. A classmate of mine from med school and residency is critically ill and may not make it because of COVID. I have many other friends who have been horrendously ill on the front lines.

    The draft will occur at a time that our curve will likely be flattening or obviously falling. We will still be socially distancing and people need something culturally normal and enjoyable to focus on - if just for a moment.

    I rather enjoy watching those kids in the draft get their name called and seeing the pure joy in their eyes and their families erupt with happiness. Many of those kids come from nothing so that moment is family and generation altering for them - the culmination of years of work for those drafted and their families.

    It's as American as American gets. And I think we could all use a dose of that kind of hopefulness right now.

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  6. #231
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Staten island Ny
    Posts
    29,494
    The governor of California will have no say in anything lol. If the entire NFL is ready to go he will either back down and theyíll play in LA or those two teams will play elsewhere itís a simple as that. Thereís a long way between now and that happening.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

  7. #232
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,020
    Quote Originally Posted by xxplayerxx23 View Post
    The governor of California will have no say in anything lol. If the entire NFL is ready to go he will either back down and theyíll play in LA or those two teams will play elsewhere itís a simple as that. Thereís a long way between now and that happening.
    Yeah, no. The entire NFL can go bark up a tree for games to start. Nothing happens until medical professionals clear the state to open up games.

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  8. #233
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    49,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    I too understand your point and the draft will be going on as scheduled.

    As to getting back to normal, I am not sure about that . The governor of California will not allow any football in the State until he gets a definite All Clear from medical professionals, not the POTUS and not from Roger Goodell.

    Hopefully, we can get our life back to a somewhat normal routine soon, fewer or no deaths, and a vaccine which is much more important than any sport.

    Without a vaccine, experts indicate that this virus could return later this year
    There will certainly be waves. Already seeing that in China. I think operating in an optimistic way is fine for a virtual draft. For the sake of the kids being drafted anyway and their families.

    As to football, Iím having a hard time seeing how the season happens with the way this has spread. There are states and cities still in the initial phase. Itís crazy times.

    Iím in Washington state and our stay at home is through 5/4 right now but could be extended. Either way, itís not going to end with everyone rushing back out. Even my own company acknowledged it could be months before full staff is back at work. Plenty of jobs that are functioning fine remotely right now.

  9. #234
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A Firehouse
    Posts
    34,640
    Lot of hurdles for the NFL to clear for this to even be possible right now. California is saying they don't expect any sports in the state until Thanksgiving at the earliest. Who knows. Still so much unknown about this virus.
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

    I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

  10. #235
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,518
    Quote Originally Posted by xxplayerxx23 View Post
    The governor of California will have no say in anything lol. If the entire NFL is ready to go he will either back down and theyíll play in LA or those two teams will play elsewhere itís a simple as that. Thereís a long way between now and that happening.
    First off there are 3 teams not 2, Chargers, Rams And 49ers. . Their practice facilities are in California . Please
    tell me where those 3 teams would play if not in California? You are being totally unrealistic.

    Gotta is absolutely correct, nothing gets done until there is medical clearance. The NFL cannot force play until then. Why do you say that the Governor Newsome will have no say? I say you are incorrect.
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 04-10-2020 at 02:37 AM.

  11. #236
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Staten island Ny
    Posts
    29,494
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Yeah, no. The entire NFL can go bark up a tree for games to start. Nothing happens until medical professionals clear the state to open up games.
    That was not my point. My point was if every place except for California was cleared (like some experts expect) then it doesnít matte what California says. At the end of the day nobody knows whatís going on. They expect it to completely slow down in the summer but we could have a second wave in the October/November area. They need to find a vaccine
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

  12. #237
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Staten island Ny
    Posts
    29,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    First off there are 3 teams not 2, Chargers, Rams And 49ers. . Their practice facilities are in California . Please
    tell me where those 3 teams would play if not in California? You are being totally unrealistic.

    Gotta is absolutely correct, nothing gets done until there is medical clearance. The NFL cannot force play until then. Why do you say that the Governor Newsome will have no say? I say you are incorrect.
    And again if itís cleared everywhere it wonít matter. The governor will have no say if the other teams and other states get medical clearance. Like I said they have to prevent the second wave in October for everything to work. Well see what happens.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

  13. #238
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by xxplayerxx23 View Post
    And again if itís cleared everywhere it wonít matter. The governor will have no say if the other teams and other states get medical clearance. Like I said they have to prevent the second wave in October for everything to work. Well see what happens.
    Is the premise here that the games are being played in empty stadiums? Sorry if I missed it

  14. #239
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toms River, NJ
    Posts
    9,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    Explain to me why logically the draft should not be postponed. What is the harm in doing so? Is it so that people like you and I and those on this forum can have something to talk about? We can agree to disagree but I think it is in poor taste to have a draft when the coronavirus might peak in 3 weeks in NY and people are dying in big numbers daily and will continue to do so.

    I posed this question to XXPlayer and I will pose it to you. What if you had someone close to you in ICU with the virus or you knew someone , god forbid who died, would you have any interest in who the Giants drafted or the NFL Draft at all ?

    So you have a draft, and then what ? No rookie camp, all club facilities are closed. Wouldn't it make more sense to wait a month when there might be a time when you could have a rookie camp and maybe club facilities might be open.
    I think some kind of normalcy and distraction from the news reading death tolls daily could be helpful to many but I understand and respect your perspective these are sad strange times. If the process were to put a single soul in danger Iíd concur fully but Iíd put this on par with musicians doing zoom concerts. It can be done safely and give people a reason to get lost in something else if only for a few hours.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #240
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,020
    I actually think there will be an NFL season. I donít see tremendous scientific evidence this virus will circle back and dramatically affect us again. Itís truly unknown but thereís no real evidence that will happen in an area heavily and fairly extensively already affected (such as we are).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Don't worry. He's got this.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •