Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 289
  1. #211
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    49,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    Does Anyone think that the draft should be postponed ?
    Nah. If the season is scheduled to stay put, they need to keep the timelines for draft, UDFA, rookie training camp, etc

    I think they should obviously not do a live event opened to the public like they do.

    Thereís obviously also not the room full of scouts and draft pick shaking the commissioners hand. Lol

    Video conference draft. Most of the experience is just listening to analysts yap all day. They can do that remotely and we just hear goodell read off names as theyíre picked.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #212
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Staten island Ny
    Posts
    29,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    Does Anyone think that the draft should be postponed ?
    No. There will be no fans. They are taking the proper precautions. Let it go on
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,518
    I understand what G-Men is saying but April 23 might be the time that virus crests in NY . All we will be hearing on TV is more people dead, the numbers increasing, other cities becoming like NY, picturers of cities looking like Ghost towns and football conducting a draft .

    On ESPN and whoever else is televising the draft will be lauding each player drafted, while on CNN, MSNBC, FOX News etc. they will be reporting deaths and increasing numbers of those tested positive for the virus and showing hospital ER rooms in disasterous situatioins, ER nurses and doctors begging for more equipment , cities running out of ventilators and refrigerated trucks loading people for the morgue., It will be surreal !!!

    Do most of you live in NYC ? It is a very eerie feeling living here.

    I am of the belief that the draft should be postponed .I am not comparing it to the JFK Assasination but Pete Rozelle later on in his life said that the worst decision he ever made as NFL Commissioner was allowing football to be played on the Sunday right after JFK's death. Hope that Roger Goodell does not have the same regrets.

    Training camps don't open until July, facilities are closed, no rookie training camps can be held .Why not postpone it for one month until late May? What harm would it be ? Maybe by that time the coronavirus will be receeding across the country and we will start to becoming somewhat normal again.

    Right now I keep looking for Rod Serling as I think we are living in the Twilight Zone. !!!
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 04-03-2020 at 02:20 AM.

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Staten island Ny
    Posts
    29,521
    Thereís zero reason to push it back. People need something to look forward too. Iím pumped for the draft. Everybody knows how bad it is hopefully everyoneís staying safe and staying home if possible.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

  5. #215
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,518
    Quote Originally Posted by xxplayerxx23 View Post
    Thereís zero reason to push it back. People need something to look forward too. Iím pumped for the draft. Everybody knows how bad it is hopefully everyoneís staying safe and staying home if possible.
    After the draft then what ? What if training camps don't open? There is not going to be any rookie camps.

    I just think that it is just bad taste when so many people are testing positive, people dying every day, more places looking like ghost cities. There is talk of postponing the NBA draft but no decision yet .

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    49,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    I understand what G-Men is saying but April 23 might be the time that virus crests in NY . All we will be hearing on TV is more people dead, the numbers increasing, other cities becoming like NY, picturers of cities looking like Ghost towns and football conducting a draft .

    On ESPN and whoever else is televising the draft will be lauding each player drafted, while on CNN, MSNBC, FOX News etc. they will be reporting deaths and increasing numbers of those tested positive for the virus and showing hospital ER rooms in disasterous situatioins, ER nurses and doctors begging for more equipment , cities running out of ventilators and refrigerated trucks loading people for the morgue., It will be surreal !!!

    Do most of you live in NYC ? It is a very eerie feeling living here.

    I am of the belief that the draft should be postponed .I am not comparing it to the JFK Assasination but Pete Rozelle later on in his life said that the worst decision he ever made as NFL Commissioner was allowing football to be played on the Sunday right after JFK's death. Hope that Roger Goodell does not have the same regrets.

    Training camps don't open until July, facilities are closed, no rookie training camps can be held .Why not postpone it for one month until late May? What harm would it be ? Maybe by that time the coronavirus will be receeding across the country and we will start to becoming somewhat normal again.

    Right now I keep looking for Rod Serling as I think we are living in the Twilight Zone. !!!
    I understand your point. I also think different areas of the country are in different stages of this pandemic. Iím in Seattle which got hit first. Thanks to the stay at home our spread has dropped off and we might be weeks from a partial lift of the order. Other areas like nyc are about to hit their peak. Others havenít even been hit yet.

    I think we do need something to rally around that isnít virus related or some partisan politics divide. Draft could be nice.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #217
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Staten island Ny
    Posts
    29,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    After the draft then what ? What if training camps don't open? There is not going to be any rookie camps.

    I just think that it is just bad taste when so many people are testing positive, people dying every day, more places looking like ghost cities. There is talk of postponing the NBA draft but no decision yet .
    Football doesnít have to start until like July to start on time. The experts expect it to be way down by then. 0 reason to postpone any draft nba nhl nfl etc. now nba may cancel the season(unlikely ) but if they do that they can have their draft on time. Unless the experts are completely wrong about it I see 0 reason to postpone anything.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

  8. #218
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,518
    Quote Originally Posted by xxplayerxx23 View Post
    Football doesnít have to start until like July to start on time. The experts expect it to be way down by then. 0 reason to postpone any draft nba nhl nfl etc. now nba may cancel the season(unlikely ) but if they do that they can have their draft on time. Unless the experts are completely wrong about it I see 0 reason to postpone anything.
    If there is not going to be any rookie camp and the facilities are closed what is the harm of postponing the draft until mid May? Hold it now so football fans have something to talk about , seems just petty and in poor taste. People are dying at an alarming rate every day. Here is a question for you , if you knew someone who was in the ICU with the virus or god forbid you knew someone who just died from it , would you give a rat's *** about who the Giants drafted or anything about the football draft ?

    If the camps were open and there were going to be rookie camps then I might be more inclined to have the draft.I think Roger Goiodell is making a poor decision , a decision he might regret some day. What if in the beginning of August one or two or three players from 3 separate teams tested positive for the coronavirus? You would have to quarantine all the teams they were on. If they played an exhibition game that team would also have to be quarantined.

    Today DT said he would like football to begin on time. The governor of California said wait a minute , no football in California until an all clear is given by the medical professionals not the POTUS. Without the Chargers, 49ers and Rams there can't be any start to a football season.

    If the Democrats can postpone their convention one month and the Masters Golf Tournament is postponed for 5 months then certainly the NFL can postpone its draft one month.
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 04-05-2020 at 03:48 PM.

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,518
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I understand your point. I also think different areas of the country are in different stages of this pandemic. Iím in Seattle which got hit first. Thanks to the stay at home our spread has dropped off and we might be weeks from a partial lift of the order. Other areas like nyc are about to hit their peak. Others havenít even been hit yet.

    I think we do need something to rally around that isnít virus related or some partisan politics divide. Draft could be nice.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What if there was something else we could rally around other than the football draft ? Something more important to the American public than pro football. The great majority of Americans do not really care about pro football., you and I and the members on this thread do but we do not represent the majority of Americans. Women make up a bigger majority than men in this country and while there are many who enjoy pro football I doubt that they are really that passionate about the NFL draft.

    Here is a perfect example. We have a very very important election coming up in November with primaries still to be had. Is anyone talking about the primaries or the election now.?

    If the Democrats can postpone their convention one month,then certainly the NFL can postpone their draft one month.
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 04-04-2020 at 11:47 PM.

  10. #220
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toms River, NJ
    Posts
    9,259
    The draft can go on as scheduled and should. Thereís no need to break social gathering rules for goodell to read names off an index card. Obviously most of the usual fan fair will go by the wayside. Any interviewing/analysis can be done through video conferencing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #221
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,518
    Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    The draft can go on as scheduled and should. Thereís no need to break social gathering rules for goodell to read names off an index card. Obviously most of the usual fan fair will go by the wayside. Any interviewing/analysis can be done through video conferencing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Explain to me why logically the draft should not be postponed. What is the harm in doing so? Is it so that people like you and I and those on this forum can have something to talk about? We can agree to disagree but I think it is in poor taste to have a draft when the coronavirus might peak in 3 weeks in NY and people are dying in big numbers daily and will continue to do so.

    I posed this question to XXPlayer and I will pose it to you. What if you had someone close to you in ICU with the virus or you knew someone , god forbid who died, would you have any interest in who the Giants drafted or the NFL Draft at all ?

    So you have a draft, and then what ? No rookie camp, all club facilities are closed. Wouldn't it make more sense to wait a month when there might be a time when you could have a rookie camp and maybe club facilities might be open.

  12. #222
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Staten island Ny
    Posts
    29,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    If there is not going to be any rookie camp and the facilities are closed what is the harm of postponing the draft until mid May? Hold it now so football fans have something to talk about , seems just petty and in poor taste. People are dying at an alarming rate every day. Here is a question for you , if you knew someone who was in the ICU with the virus or god forbid you knew someone who just died from it , would you give a rat's *** about who the Giants drafted or anything about the football draft ?

    If the camps were open and there were going to be rookie camps then I might be more inclined to have the draft.I think Roger Goiodell is making a poor decision , a decision he might regret some day. What if in the beginning of August one or two or three players from 3 separate teams tested positive for the coronavirus? You would have to quarantine all the teams they were on. If they played an exhibition game that team would also have to be quarantined.

    Today DT said he would like football to begin on time. The governor of California said wait a minute , no football in California until an all clear is given by the medical professionals not the POTUS. Without the Chargers, 49ers and Rams there can't be any start to a football season.

    If the Democrats can postpone their convention one month and the Masters Golf Tournament is postponed for 5 months then certainly the NFL can postpone its draft one month.
    Many in the CDC believe this will be way down by mid June. There is 0 reason to push this back. Thereís also no reason to talk about people getting sick. This is a horrible time and the draft can give people reason to watch something together. It doesnít matter about rookie mini camp. Even if the league is pushed back a couple weeks it doesnít matter. There is no reason to push back the draft, itís already the end of April what would pushing it back to May even do? If this isnít ending anytime soon why push it back a month? That does nothing.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

  13. #223
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,518
    Quote Originally Posted by xxplayerxx23 View Post
    Many in the CDC believe this will be way down by mid June. There is 0 reason to push this back. Thereís also no reason to talk about people getting sick. This is a horrible time and the draft can give people reason to watch something together. It doesnít matter about rookie mini camp. Even if the league is pushed back a couple weeks it doesnít matter. There is no reason to push back the draft, itís already the end of April what would pushing it back to May even do? If this isnít ending anytime soon why push it back a month? That does nothing.
    Please give me a reason why pushing the draft back doesn't make sense other than giving people something to watch ? The people you mention are only passionate football fans. Maybe that is only me but that is not a good enough reason . It is just in poor taste in these times.

    Maybe you would like to see the Miss America pagent or Miss Universe. I bet more woman would rather watch that than the pro football draft. More people would probably watch the Oscars than the draft. Would you be in favor of having that on TV because as you say, " it would give people something to watch"

    Watch a good movie instead. Try the Irishman , not a great movie but a decent one. You can watch it in 3 sittings. Or go watch The Godfather 1 and 2, or Citizen Kane , or High Noon or Gone with The Wind.

    If you are a sports guy, Hoosiers, The Lou Gherig Story, Bull Durham, The Natural, Raging Bull. You are obviously a football guy , try ,Remember THe Titans, We Are Marshall, The Blind Side, Rudy. That should keep you busy for many days.

    :" there are no reason to talk about people getting sick" , you are joking ? . People are dying in record numbers each and every day.

    The election coming up is one of the most important elections in some time. Do you see any debates on TV?. Most states have cancelled their up coming primaries. The Democrats have cancelled their convention for a month and the NFL can't cancel their draft for one month? Give me a break !!!

    Why is it that most GMs want the draft postponed ?
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 04-06-2020 at 02:47 AM.

  14. #224
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    49,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    What if there was something else we could rally around other than the football draft ? Something more important to the American public than pro football. The great majority of Americans do not really care about pro football., you and I and the members on this thread do but we do not represent the majority of Americans. Women make up a bigger majority than men in this country and while there are many who enjoy pro football I doubt that they are really that passionate about the NFL draft.

    Here is a perfect example. We have a very very important election coming up in November with primaries still to be had. Is anyone talking about the primaries or the election now.?

    If the Democrats can postpone their convention one month,then certainly the NFL can postpone their draft one month.
    I think you want the political forum. I highly advise against it though

    I hear ya for sure. But The reality is most Americans (the ones not fighting for their lives or saving others or keeping supply chains going) are at home deciding what to binge watch on Netflix, not taking an active role.

    We could use a piece of normalcy.

  15. #225
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    49,270
    https://twitter.com/adamschefter/sta...994234880?s=21


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •