Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Head Coach Don Shula passes away at the age of 90

"Don Shula was the patriarch of the Miami Dolphins for 50 years," it read. "He brought the winning edge to our franchise and put the Dolphins and the city of Miami in the national sports scene. Our deepest thoughts and prayers go out to Mary Anne along with his children Dave, Donna, Sharon, Anne and Mike."

https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/st...849611264?s=20

He lived a long, great life and made a mark on a lot of individuals lives. God bless.

Greatest coach of all time. Easy.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

The greatest. 347 with the emphasis being on doing things within the rules, as they said yesterday in his many tributes that I watched. Thanks Coach Shula!

Greatest coach ever... Greatest player's coach of all time also... 2 losing seasons in his career...

I always would have liked to see one of his son's get a chance at the Phins HC spot... Especially David because Cincy ruined him as a coach... It took 10 seasons after Shula got the boot to have a winning record...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin North View Post
    The greatest. 347 with the emphasis being on doing things within the rules, as they said yesterday in his many tributes that I watched. Thanks Coach Shula!
    I dunno about doing things within the rules, shula ran the committee that watched over refs and how they did their job as far as rulings on the field.

Even as a kid i remember blatant bad calls going miamis way, and there is zero doubt dons position on that committee helped him on a lot of those calls.

In any case, i remember don on the sidelines, was so old, he would ride a golf cart, but he still looked like the man. Guy truly loved football, and was a Don. Such a class act.

Had marino, not been so insistent on throwing the ball so much (which wasnt normal in those days), i think don would of won a few super bowls with Marino at least.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    I dunno about doing things within the rules, shula ran the committee that watched over refs and how they did their job as far as rulings on the field.

Even as a kid i remember blatant bad calls going miamis way, and there is zero doubt dons position on that committee helped him on a lot of those calls.

In any case, i remember don on the sidelines, was so old, he would ride a golf cart, but he still looked like the man. Guy truly loved football, and was a Don. Such a class act.

Had marino, not been so insistent on throwing the ball so much (which wasnt normal in those days), i think don would of won a few super bowls with Marino at least.
    I doubt any league could have so many bad referees over a span of 33 years that they could keep a coach head and shoulders above the rest, even if they tried. So let's look at facts instead of a feeling you had as a child, since this involves a career and possibly a person's hard-earned reputation and integrity, depending on what you are implying.

Shula served on the Rules Committee from '77 to 96, which looked at rules, (similar to today's competition committee). Before he ever served on the Rules Committee he had the best stretch of his career, including the perfect season and a couple of Superbowl Titles in '72 and '73, plus winning seasons in 13 of those 14 seasons with 2 different teams and a winning percentage well over .750 during that stretch. Again, this is all prior to what you are implying (with zero evidence other than a feeling you had). To imply or state outright that he owes his success to getting calls because of a committee that he did not even serve on until after the best part of his career is off base IMO. Plus, that committee did not leverage anything against refs, it set rules. Finally, officials have had their own organization that they answer to, avoiding a conflict of interest since 1938. So it is more in their interest to get every call correct that they can, as opposed to favoring Shula or anyone else.

You're showing your bias or lack of understanding of the facts when you use misinformation to cast doubt on somebody's reputation or accomplishments. I think we all should be more careful than that on matters of integrity.
    I didn't want to bother correcting this, but when people throw out misinformation I always wonder if other people see it for what it is, or believe it is just some new information that they had never heard of before.
    Last edited by Dolphin North; 05-12-2020 at 02:12 PM.