Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Spam Management and User Profile Fields (Favorite Teams)

PSD Members,

In an effort to continue our actions against spam bots, we have implemented a new feature required at registration- a new user must fill out their favorite team for MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL and College. This should deter all but the most insistent and dedicated spammers, and our current measures in place (not allowing users to start threads until a certain threshold is met) will limit what they can do.

As an existing member, you will be required to fill these profile fields out only if you change your profile information. So if you don't want to fill them out, you don't have to, but if you change your location or any other UserCP data, you will need to fill out the favorite teams.

This feature can also be searched in the Member List, and can help network fans together with specific keywords.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM myself, Rush or your forum moderators or post in this thread.

This has done an amazing job at stopping spam.

Pretty sure the spam posts have gotten at least 3x worse.

See: above

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    This has done an amazing job at stopping spam.

Pretty sure the spam posts have gotten at least 3x worse.
    When I first started it, we went from having over 600 accounts registering each day down to around 110-140. If we needed to go further and have Rush and I approve each account ourselves, that was a much more reasonable number.

Now we are back up to 500-600 accounts or so each day. I thought this would work, as it used to work when I had my own forum, but that was 6-8 years ago and things change. Sadly I can't do more without Covers adding a third party modification which they won't do because it would leave the site open to being compromised, or they move the forum over to vBulletin 5.0 or go with another forum software. I've tried to get one of those options going over the past 18 months but so far no dice.

If accounts stay at this level over the next week, I will go ahead and remove the profile fields.

This has been folded, as the feature did not work as intended.