Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    But trading two top prospects for (and then extending) a 38 year old knuckleballer is the way to go? I get the situations are different but, c'mon man

And it's not pretty much the exact same thing that shatkini hated about what AA did. One loaded the roster with expensive overaged players while completely gutting the farm (minus Tim Mayza) and the other signed a pitcher to a 20M/yr deal while having little to no payroll commitments and glaring need for SP help, helped in part by the previous GM being able to trade 11 SP prospects at one TD
    I don't know man. Dickey could go 7 innings every 5th day. I'd say giving up D'Arnaud and Thor for that is way less painful than having to pay a Cy Young calibre pitcher who's still not even 37.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    But trading two top prospects for (and then extending) a 38 year old knuckleballer is the way to go? I get the situations are different but, c'mon man

And it's not pretty much the exact same thing that shatkini hated about what AA did. One loaded the roster with expensive overaged players while completely gutting the farm (minus The greatest hitting prospect of all time - Vlad Jr) and the other signed a pitcher to a 20M/yr deal while having little to no payroll commitments and glaring need for SP help, helped in part by the previous GM being able to trade 11 SP prospects at one TD
    Fixed your quote.

Iím not here to defend the dickey trade, but the difference between those situations is one of those teams seemed ready to make a run the the finals (they were Vegas favorited).
    Ryu will be on his last legs when we are ready to make a run at this rate.

Turns out Ryu is really good. Who woulda thunk it?

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Turns out Ryu is really good. Who woulda thunk it?
    david cone just made the best point,Having Gerrit Cole is more important than his wins and losses, having that Ace to stop losing streaks helps ease the pressure on everyone else. So Ryu helps the jays keep the guys like Pearson too, they're competitors and especially young players will try too hard....

in my view getting an Ace is always a defensible move. simply because so few are ever available.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Fixed your quote.

Iím not here to defend the dickey trade, but the difference between those situations is one of those teams seemed ready to make a run the the finals (they were Vegas favorited).
    Ryu will be on his last legs when we are ready to make a run at this rate.
    At the time the Dickey trade was made for the 2013 season, by no means were they Vegas favoured.

Unlike Dickey who was 38 by the time he threw his first pitch for the Jays and made $25 million per season with the extension AA gave him, Ryu will be a FA again at 36.

I have a feeling Ryu at 36 at $20 million will be worth more than Dickey in any season from 38-41 at $25 per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    At the time the Dickey trade was made for the 2013 season, by no means were they Vegas favoured.

Unlike Dickey who was 38 by the time he threw his first pitch for the Jays and made $25 million per season with the extension AA gave him, Ryu will be a FA again at 36.

I have a feeling Ryu at 36 at $20 million will be worth more than Dickey in any season from 38-41 at $25 per year.
    Dickey was extended for about 10mil/season.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post

Dickey made $5m in 2013, $12.5M in 2014, $12.5M in 2015 and the club had a team option for $12M for 2016, so no, the Jays never paid Dickey $25M per season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasky05 View Post
    Dickey made $5m in 2013, $12.5M in 2014, $12.5M in 2015 and the club had a team option for $12M for 2016, so no, the Jays never paid Dickey $25M per season.
    My mistake, misread an article. He was 3/37 from 2014-16.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234