Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Jays sign SP Hyun-Jin Ryu 4yr/$80m

Last edited by statquo; 12-23-2019 at 12:38 AM.

The Lost Boys of PSD

This is good. We needed this badly

Wow. I'm impressed that they did it. I was saying to give him 3/65 so AAV is okay for me. A little long, but wow.

The Blue Jays have signed left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to a four-year, $80MM contract, MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reports (Twitter link). Ryu’s deal contains full no-trade protection and doesn’t have an opt-out clause, according to USA Today’s Bob Nightengale (Twitter links). Ryu is represented by the Boras Corporation.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...n-jin-ryu.html

I’m shocked. Pleased but shocked. The Price rumour pushed it over the edge I bet. No way we deal for him now imo.

Very happy to see a big signing and makes the Roark signing look very good too. This pitching staff could be average next season which is a big upgrade.

Time for the HPD to step up to the plate.
    Whether Ryu becomes a player that could contribute for the long haul, or not - all depends on his health.

There are reports it's a limited no trade clause.

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    There are reports it's a limited no trade clause.
    According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the contract carries a full no-trade clause and no opt-outs for either side.
    Last edited by Sasky05; 12-23-2019 at 02:17 AM. Reason: comment

Great signing IMO. Impact starter to go with Roarke, Shoemaker, and Anderson. I'd say we've had a successful off-season. hopefully an impact bat and we're done.

I'm not surprised they went out and got someone. Despite what some might say Shapiro was very different in his interviews leading up to and during the off-season. The kicker was when Atkins made the $100 million comment. It wasn't specific but he had never really given detail like that before.

If Pearson comes up and pitches well in 2020 then a WC spot should be in sights for 2021.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

I like it, especially after seeing what Keuchel got. The injury concerns are real but we have an insane amount of depth at starting pitching now.

All the nay sayers of this front office need to start eating a while lot of crow here I think. They said they were going to try and make some significant upgrades, and they put their money where their mouth is...

Ryu 4x20M
    Roark 2x12M
    Anderson 8.5M (with a club option for 9.5M in 2021)
    Shaw 4M

They have stabilized this starting rotation for the next 2 years and found a potential steal in Shaw (who isn't a FA until 2022) for about 45M. I can't wait to see what happens over the next 2 months!

I give them a ton of credit for signing him. But I wish they didn't as I wanted a full rebuild. However, if they get more players like Edwin and Price as rumoured, then this would be a great offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    I give them a ton of credit for signing him. But I wish they didn't as I wanted a full rebuild. However, if they get more players like Edwin and Price as rumoured, then this would be a great offseason.
    There is no draft compensation attached and the kids won't need big contracts for many years still. They are still in the midst of a full rebuild. Not sure I understand your logic.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    There is no draft compensation attached and the kids won't need big contracts for many years still. They are still in the midst of a full rebuild. Not sure I understand your logic.
    Give the kids more playing time (compared to Ryu, Tanner Roark and Anderson) while taking back big contracts from teams in exchange for some prospects. Or sign some high risk/high reward guys for 1 year deals and trade them in the offseason if they do good.

By the time the kids might be ready (maybe 2 years down the line), Ryu eating up $20 mil a year might hinder the Blue Jays from signing someone in FA when we may actually need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Give the kids more playing time (compared to Ryu, Tanner Roark and Anderson) while taking back big contracts from teams in exchange for some prospects. Or sign some high risk/high reward guys for 1 year deals and trade them in the offseason if they do good.

By the time the kids might be ready (maybe 2 years down the line), Ryu eating up $20 mil a year might hinder the Blue Jays from signing someone in FA when we may actually need it.
    I see where you are coming from now.

It's been 3 years though with brutal records and little hope for fans that the team can compete. Attendance has cut in half since 2016. The contracts of the front office staff will come to an end at some point. I can't see the business side being happy with more 90 loss seasons.

If they started trading their prospects to win now, I'd be concerned, but I'm totally on board with them spending money to get better. I also don't want to see those young guys get too used to losing 90 games every season.
    Last edited by pebloemer; 12-23-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast