Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Witcher

The Witcher

Dropped today on Netflix and first episode is pretty damn good, living up to my expectations after reading all the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Dropped today on Netflix and first episode is pretty damn good, living up to my expectations after reading all the books.
    It's a lot of books isn't it? I considered reading them until I saw how many there were. Didn't think I could finish them before the series started.

I wanna check this out, but I hope I'm not missing something by not knowing much about the source material.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    It's a lot of books isn't it? I considered reading them until I saw how many there were. Didn't think I could finish them before the series started.

I wanna check this out, but I hope I'm not missing something by not knowing much about the source material.
    Itís 8 books, but their real quick reads, I think I finished them in about a month and am a slow reader.

But I donít think you have to read the books or play the games to really follow the story on the show.

Itís 8 books, but their real quick reads, I think I finished them in about a month and am a slow reader.

But I donít think you have to read the books or play the games to really follow the story on the show.
    Good to hear. I'll check it out after I finish the new season of The Expanse.

My first intro to the Witcher was the Witcher 3. I loved it so I then read all the books.

I'm 5 episodes in and love the series so far. To me, the series does assume some sort of knowledge of the world. Or at least assumes the viewer is intelligent and can pick up on context clues as it doesn't come out right away and explain everything.

That being said, so far, season 1 has primaryily been a retelling of some of the short stories from the first book, which is simply a collection of short stories. So if you really want to better understand the source material, you can just read the last wish. That being said, so far season 1 has pretty much been a retelling of those stories, so it might be kind of spoiler-ish if you read that book prior to viewing it.

EDIT: you don't need to read the books to understand the series. If you've played the video games, you should have enough of a background knowledge to not be lost.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 12-24-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    My first intro to the Witcher was the Witcher 3. I loved it so I then read all the books.

I'm 5 episodes in and love the series so far. To me, the series does assume some sort of knowledge of the world. Or at least assumes the viewer is intelligent and can pick up on context clues as it doesn't come out right away and explain everything.

That being said, so far, season 1 has primaryily been a retelling of some of the short stories from the first book, which is simply a collection of short stories. So if you really want to better understand the source material, you can just read the last wish. That being said, so far season 1 has pretty much been a retelling of those stories, so it might be kind of spoiler-ish if you read that book prior to viewing it.

EDIT: you don't need to read the books to understand the series. If you've played the video games, you should have enough of a background knowledge to not be lost.
    You also don't need to read the books to understand the acting is horrendous. Henry Cavill should only play in silent movies.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you cant beat them, join them

Yeah am halfway done too.

One thing you have to kind of get is that itís three different time periods happening with the three main characters.

Wonder why they changed the bards name from Dandelion to Jackier?

Wonder why they changed the bards name from Dandelion to Jackier?
    I beleive that's the polish name. I think a few of the names were changed when the books were translated to English. So dandelion is actuslly the changed version. Mousesack isn't that characters name either in the English version of the books.

Quote Originally Posted by carter80 View Post
    You also don't need to read the books to understand the acting is horrendous. Henry Cavill should only play in silent movies.

Or if you read the books you'd get that he's actually playing geralt relatively well. Geralt is awkward and while not actually lacking emotion, he pretty much lacks most basic emotions.

Or if you read the books you'd get that he's actually playing geralt relatively well. Geralt is awkward and while not actually lacking emotion, he pretty much lacks most basic emotions.
    I had this argument with family members over Xmas break. They had the same argument as you. Im not familiar with the game or book. Im only a couple of episodes, maybe im wrong.

If you cant beat them, join them

I had this argument with family members over Xmas break. They had the same argument as you. Im not familiar with the game or book. Im only a couple of episodes, maybe im wrong.

Yeah, itís not really bad acting, but more of how the character is supposed to be, but am not saying that the acting is anything great by any means from anybody on the show.

I guess the best way to explain it really is witchers are young boys (mostly orphans) who at a young age are subjected to trials and potions that trigger wildly painful mutations to the point that 70% of them die due to the mutations. The ones that survive finish their training, which is essentially focused on combat and learning about the various types of monsters and creatures in the world.

They then go out into the world and humans hire them to hunt monsters. They're essentially taught to remove emotion as well. They work for coin. It doesn't matter the situation, it's all about whether the coin is worth the job. Doesn't matter if you're saving a village or helping 1 murderous baron, is the coin worth the risk. Due to that and other reasons, humans generally hate and loathe witchers, but they're viewed as a neccesary evil.

Basically they are loaners who wonder the world as for hire monster hunters and are generally despised by most of that world. They also had a tramatic childhood filled with physical pain and mental trauma since basically between the ages of 8-12, they watched 70% of their classmates die.

While maybe that's not a perfect explanation, I think it sort of somes up why geralt is generally bad at emotion and interacting with others. He's blunt and matter of fact about virtually everything. That's his charm or lack of charm depending who you ask. Geralt is a bit unique, as he shows more emotion and takes jobs/makes decisions not entirely based on coin, but you also see him sort of struggle with some of those decisions because the value system he was raised on taught him to not factor emotion in at all.

Great show, but all over the place, and not for the faint of heart.
    Netflix done well here imo

Quote Originally Posted by CityofTreez View Post
    Great show, but all over the place, and not for the faint of heart.
    Netflix done well here imo
    Thatís what I loved about the story, it brings horror/fantasy/warfare/politics and love and family all together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast