Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well some will remember the first half. Some will remember the 2nd half. Iíll remember there were a lot more horrible throws than good throws and once again, our coach coaches the team to lose by a score not to win.

I'd definitely like to see McDermott coach to win instead of coaching not to lose. I'd also like to see more designed runs for Allen. I know that they want him to run as a last resort but his running is a real weapon that needs to be utilized more.

Allen is kind of what I thought he'd be at this point in his development. He makes some throws and fits the ball into some spaces that very few QBs can. But he still struggles with accuracy and overthrows. I'm very encouraged by the fact that he's really cut down on the turnovers in the second half of the season. Part of that can be explained by Dabol's more conservative play calling but a lot of it is Allen seeing the field better and having better composure in the pocket.

I don't think that anyone on this forum thought that the Bills were going to the Super Bowl this season. The hope was that the team and Allen would take a step forward and set them up for a bright future. In that regard, I think this season has been a success. They've feasted on an easy schedule but they've also played the Ravens and Patriots (twice) very tough and won a couple of big prime-time games. I think they have a very legit chance of beating the Texans in the WC round. With a deep WR draft, a ton of cap space and an already elite defense I think that winning the AFC East next year is a totally attainable goal.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bills Fan View Post
    I'd definitely like to see McDermott coach to win instead of coaching not to lose. I'd also like to see more designed runs for Allen. I know that they want him to run as a last resort but his running is a real weapon that needs to be utilized more.

Allen is kind of what I thought he'd be at this point in his development. He makes some throws and fits the ball into some spaces that very few QBs can. But he still struggles with accuracy and overthrows. I'm very encouraged by the fact that he's really cut down on the turnovers in the second half of the season. Part of that can be explained by Dabol's more conservative play calling but a lot of it is Allen seeing the field better and having better composure in the pocket.

I don't think that anyone on this forum thought that the Bills were going to the Super Bowl this season. The hope was that the team and Allen would take a step forward and set them up for a bright future. In that regard, I think this season has been a success. They've feasted on an easy schedule but they've also played the Ravens and Patriots (twice) very tough and won a couple of big prime-time games. I think they have a very legit chance of beating the Texans in the WC round. With a deep WR draft, a ton of cap space and an already elite defense I think that winning the AFC East next year is a totally attainable goal.
    Love this post and agree with it almost entirely.
    The only comment I have is that the end of the first half looked an awful lot like coaching to win. We were against a top defence and couldnt get the run going or the pass most of the time. Some of those 3 and outs were expected against that defence, just like the patriots marching down the field on screen passes only to get stopped in the red zone was expected.

I hope Brady comes back next season so we can win the division the right way.
    Depending on who they pick to take Bradyís role and billichekís willingness to keep coaching, we could be in line for dominating the division these coming years.

Great post, LA.

Allen is never going to be a 70% guy, but thatís okay and the Bills can build a winner around him. Heís been great at times, lousy at others, but heís produced the second most TDs of any QB since Jimbo in 1991. Heís done that with Beasley, Brown, and Knox as his top 3 receiving weapons. Thatís the weakest such 3 of any team currently holding a playoff spot. Thereís no possession receiver. No jump ball receiver. No true #1. This offense is so far behind the defense, so far behind the curve in the NFL, and yet here we are, 10-5, and going to the playoffs.

141 missed tackles this season. That ranks 2nd in the league. The 16 missed tackles on Saturday were a season high for a single game. That is something we absolutely need to address.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    141 missed tackles this season. That ranks 2nd in the league. The 16 missed tackles on Saturday were a season high for a single game. That is something we absolutely need to address.
    Imo a lot of that is from the defence being young, and leaning on scheme for success (not a bad thing because it is sustainable if your success is coming from your coach).
    Also allows us to dream of an even better defence in the future which seems crazy to me. A lot of teams have been going at our secondary with screens and such.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Imo a lot of that is from the defence being young, and leaning on scheme for success (not a bad thing because it is sustainable if your success is coming from your coach).
    Also allows us to dream of an even better defence in the future which seems crazy to me. A lot of teams have been going at our secondary with screens and such.
    Baltimore is a team that always seems to have a top 10 defense. I'd love to know how many times they've finished top 10 since the team moved there. They are constantly bringing in talent. That's what I want for this team, too. I want Buffalo to field a top 10 defense year after year. Keep bringing in talent.

There's room for improvement in the pass rush. Lorenzo Alexander will retire soon. I think we can even do better opposite Tre. That's exciting to think about.

Baltimore is a team that always seems to have a top 10 defense. I'd love to know how many times they've finished top 10 since the team moved there. They are constantly bringing in talent. That's what I want for this team, too. I want Buffalo to field a top 10 defense year after year. Keep bringing in talent.

There's room for improvement in the pass rush. Lorenzo Alexander will retire soon. I think we can even do better opposite Tre. That's exciting to think about.
    Sure we could hope for another tre, but Iím pretty damn satisfied with the cheap corners opposite of him.

Pass rush for sure, whether it comes from OLB or DL. The more I think about it, I would prefer a top LB rusher because it will sure up 2 positions at once. Also this FO seems able to identify DL talent in FA.

I was alluding to our young guys becoming better tacklers overall making us a really good defence. Curious where we rank if you measure first touch.

WR, OL still need to be fixed. Iíd keep dabol around. I donít want Allen trying to learn another playbook. He has other more important things to worry about (accuracy). Allen has done a good job taking a little off his throws when needed this year.

Great post, LA.

Allen is never going to be a 70% guy, but thatís okay and the Bills can build a winner around him. Heís been great at times, lousy at others, but heís produced the second most TDs of any QB since Jimbo in 1991. Heís done that with Beasley, Brown, and Knox as his top 3 receiving weapons. Thatís the weakest such 3 of any team currently holding a playoff spot. Thereís no possession receiver. No jump ball receiver. No true #1. This offense is so far behind the defense, so far behind the curve in the NFL, and yet here we are, 10-5, and going to the playoffs.

JrR,

Allen's got to become MUCH more consistent.

He's very much like Bledsoe and to a lesser extent Flutie. Neither was a great passer and both were AWFUL in the playoffs.

As of now, over the past two seasons, against 10+ win teams the team is 0-10 and Allen is 0-7. Plain and simple.

In the first three quarters of play as a passer Allen is 210 for 356 for 2,302 yards, 12 TDs, 9 INTs, a 6.5 YPA, 32 sacks and a sack% of 8.2%, which is high, particularly for a mobile QB. His rating is 78.9, which is low-end.

In the 4th he's much better, but keep in mind that playing well in the 4th doesn't make up for for playing well below-average ball routinely in the first three quarters, not to mention the inconsistency even within the first three Qs is a major issue as well. Having said that he's also not been consistent in the 4th Q either. He's only put together a few games that generally were solid from a passing perspective through the entire game. Most notably twice vs. the Fins and against Dallas

In the 4th Q Allen is 58 for 100 (58.0%) for 782 yards (about 52/game), 8 TDs (one every other game), 0 INTs, a 7.8 YPA, 6 sacks and a sack% of 5.7%, still, not great, just good. He's averaging about 6-7 attempts and 4 completions/game in the 4th. His rating in the 4th is 109.6.

People should be very very careful about extrapolating only 20% of his total play as being more relevant as what is clearly bottom-dwelling play otherwise. A good chunk of the reason why we've bee able to capitalize on that is because of the weak teams we've played. Next season could very well be drastically different.

We'll see how the playoffs go, and who knows, perhaps we can win the whole enchilada this year on circumstances, it would be fantastic, but if we cannot beat Houston, I really think that someone has to start questioning a satff that simply cannot beat any team that ends up finishing with 10 or more wins. They haven't done it once yet on their watch. Their offense lags average scoring production by half a touchdown.

People can berate the OL and WRs, but at the end of the day they've been running this team for three seasons now, at some point they have to take some heat for the inadequacies.

Again, at the end of the day we're averaging 20.5 ppg, good for 23rd in the league, just behind Cleveland and just ahead of the Raiders and Miami.

Having said that Allen deserves to have next season as well but he'll have to make a sizeable leap from his across-the-board well below-average passing stats in order to keep the job w/o any competition. This whole thing has become like it was under Flutie, exciting, but at the end of teh day a 4-yard gain is a 4-yard gain whether someone runs UTM or whether the QB scrambles all over the field looking good but still nets what it is.

Some other food-for-thought, our RBs have a mere 4 rushing TDs all season. A lot of Allen's rushes are taking from where they're supposed to be, the RBs.

The team has 4 total rushing TDs in 15 games by anyone other than Allen. Two by Singletary in weeks 2 and 9 against the Giants and Skins. Goreís two were in weeks 2 and 3 against the Giants and Cincy. Gore has done almost nothing over the past 8 weeks averaging 2.5 YPC on 185 yards, fewer than 25 YPG. All four against three teams with three of the five worst records in the league and easily three of the worst teams in the league. In short, we havenít posted a rushing TD by a RB against any team with more than 4 wins all season long. If that holds, what can we expect next season against the NFC and AFC West division?

Allen has only had 1 rushing TD against any team with more than 8 wins, the Pats in the first matchup, his worst passing game of his career. They are incredibly fortunate (aka lucky) for the soft schedule. The Bills have not had a non-Allen rushing TD in 7 straight games. Allenís had only two in the last five games, which would be fine amidst some production from the RBs as such.

Just sayin'. Just as in '04 this whole thing is paper-thin.

As well, much of that cap is going to go into re-signing Jordan Phillips who's going to be the most expensive DT in free-agency this offseason. That's not a gain, merely a keeping things as they are. They should have signed him to a three-year backup contract instead of a one-year one. He's the only FA that they signed to a one-year deal. Clearly they didn't think he was going to do what he's done. Anyway, that's where a good chunk of our cap is going to go.
    Last edited by Wings & Bleu; 12-26-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Well, keep in mind that Baltimore has also traditionally been a team that has been held back by their offense.

Their 2000 SB team had a historic defense, one that we don't have. Despite having had a very average offense they still scored more PPG than we have, and that was 20 years ago when overall scoring wasn't as high.

Their 2012 team I think just peaked at the right time. Either way, having said all of that, their mediocre offenses were ranked much higher than ours is. 10/16 & 14/16 to 23/24 (with one game remaining).

I'm not sure that people realize how weak and dependent upon Allen our offense is to simply be mediocre at best.

But the short answer is that Baltimore hasn't been great at building talent offenses.

Look here; https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/

Over the past 22 seasons, prior to this season, the Ravens have had one component of their offense (Yardage or Points) ranked among the top-10 only five times. Three times at 9th and twice at 8th.

This season their 1st and 2nd. (Scoring/Yardage)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12