Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

MLB needs a hard salary cap

Like this is so outrageous now...so many outrageous contracts that are $300 to $500 million like this has gotta stop. I mean MLB at this point needs to have a hard cap or else the way this league is going, there are gonna be so many damn super super max contracts like it isn't even funny anymore. I mean NBA, NHL and NFL all have salary caps whereas MLB doesn't and should.

No they don't. Last year it was people claiming the owners were colluding to keep salaries down.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

No it doesn't. I will say that the analytical edge for small market teams has closed though. Where those teams were finding ways to win using those methods, almost all the big market teams have caught up and have probably surpassed them.

Yeah, small market teams make the playoffs but they almost never win a WS.

That said, there's zero reason for a cap in baseball.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-15-2019 at 05:30 PM.

No they don't. This thread topic has been recycled multiple times in this forum over the years. The teams overspending are putting themselves into a bad spot into the future.

Hell, the D'Backs, a lower market club, just signed one of the bigger free agents out there too.

And they gave out the biggest free agent contract a few years ago to Greinke.

If you want to improve revenue sharing, then I'm good with that. But the fact remains, it's how teams spend their money, not how much they spend.

You need a post cap

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    You need a post cap
    Lol true

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

I'd say that the teams have finally accepted that inflation of the contracts and therefore are more willing to spend this off season.

They should but they won't. It would bring far more parity to the league. Whereas big money clubs are able to wheel and deal basically whatever they feel, the small market clubs have to be far better in their decision making.. It's an unfair advantage right off the bat.

The draft is also an unfair advantage, so we should just randomly assign players to teams every June.

All the major sports have hard caps but baseball. If an organization can't field a team for $225MM, they might need to restructure their front office.
    Obviously, this needs to go through CBA arbitration. Perhaps the league could end the discussion of closing down several minor leagues for this sort of concession from the players.

Why does anyone care about how much money the players are getting? They are getting paid by significantly wealthier people, are you concerned for the wealthy owners?

There is no way a cap will improve parity, it certainly hasnít in the other sports. In fact it becomes an advantage for big markets where players want to go anyways and end up taking a discount to play where they want and can likely maximize their ability to get endorsements.

If you want parity then you should be for full TV revenue sharing. Give every city similar money to spend and we wonít have a league of haves and have nots. If a team wants to spend heavy while they have a good core team then they can go for it or a team rebuilding can pull back on spending while they are accumulating cheap young talent and save that money when those players are due to be paid.

I also think they should change the draft pick system to pick draft spot by a rolling five year average. Would make single season records less important and could minimize blatant tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    All the major sports have hard caps but baseball. If an organization can't field a team for $225MM, they might need to restructure their front office.
    Obviously, this needs to go through CBA arbitration. Perhaps the league could end the discussion of closing down several minor leagues for this sort of concession from the players.
    The A's made $218M in total revenue last year.

Why would the players agree to artificially cap their ability to make money in exchange for a bigger minor league system? No way they say yes to that.

you know what bothers me? yankees/dodgers/phillies/cubs/redsox etc spend but they also give the little teams money correct?

As a result, in 2018, each team received $118 million from this pot. Teams alsoreceive a share of national revenues, which were estimated to be $91 million per team, also in 2018.

so basically the big teams that are willing to spend and help give these ball clubs all this cash flow should be hard capped even though there are teams running around with 50 million dollar payrolls when they made 4x that last year? totally legit

The big teams also have significant revenue advantages and the ability to keep the competition out of their market. Itís an uneven playing field that tilts towards NY/LA/Boston.
    Last edited by GasMan; 12-21-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast