Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    15,956
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Meh, Magic playing in the East is much different than the Wolves in the West.

    I think if in the East the Wolves would've made the playoffs more than once since KAT and Wiggins paired up.
    Wolves were only slightly better against the East. .42% winnings against the West vs. .46 against East.

    They still wouldn't make the playoffs with that win percentage. This year they're 6-3 vs East but the season is early.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron24th View Post
    Maybe playing some defense could do wonder for them
    Everyone trying to come up with roster changes when they rank in the bottom 5 in defense. When they start playing defense they will get wins

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    59,708
    Quote Originally Posted by tp13baby View Post
    Everyone trying to come up with roster changes when they rank in the bottom 5 in defense. When they start playing defense they will get wins
    That's going to require roster changes. RoCo is one of the few defenders. Dare I say they are missing Rubio?

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,508
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    Wolves were only slightly better against the East. .42% winnings against the West vs. .46 against East.

    They still wouldn't make the playoffs with that win percentage. This year they're 6-3 vs East but the season is early.
    Those percentages very easily could change if they were playing 52 games against the East versus only 30. Not to mention the travel schedule would change, potentially cutting down on those "scheduled losses".

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,868
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    When I say good I don't mean anyone is fawning over him or putting trade suggestions for their team to go get him. I mean he's doing an adequate job.

    He's statistically similar to what DeRozan was last year when he led SAS to the playoffs with a winning record. Similar TS%, WS/48 and VORP. So he's clearly not "the" limiting factor with the team anymore. He could definitely improve a lot defensively but overall he's fine.

    The Wolves beat Miami early in the season and basically Wiggins won them that game. I can't say I've watched every game of his obviously though.
    If we're diagnosing why the Wolves are bad, taking a large portion of your shots from one player at average efficiency is not a good recipe for anything better than being average. Possessions are a commodity. But the point is that he's average at a max contract, which prevents them from having better players in the rotation. And Wiggins' production doesn't justify losing wins elsewhere.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    15,956
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    If we're diagnosing why the Wolves are bad, taking a large portion of your shots from one player at average efficiency is not a good recipe for anything better than being average. Possessions are a commodity. But the point is that he's average at a max contract, which prevents them from having better players in the rotation. And Wiggins' production doesn't justify losing wins elsewhere.
    What you're suggesting is fine, but doesn't address the issue. If Wiggins' salary is the root cause, then let's pretend he made a more reasonable figure like $17M instead of the $29M he actually makes. What player(s) could you add for $12M that converts them from 5 games under .500 to playoff status?

    If defense is the root cause, are there any realistic tweaks that could be made or is an entire teardown necessary. Just looking for a specific fix if possible... Give your best educated guess.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    15,956
    Actually Wiggins makes $27M, but you get the point.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,868
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    What you're suggesting is fine, but doesn't address the issue. If Wiggins' salary is the root cause, then let's pretend he made a more reasonable figure like $17M instead of the $29M he actually makes. What player(s) could you add for $12M that converts them from 5 games under .500 to playoff status?

    If defense is the root cause, are there any realistic tweaks that could be made or is an entire teardown necessary. Just looking for a specific fix if possible... Give your best educated guess.
    Jake Layman got $3.5 million this summer, so really it's $15.5 million.

    As I suggested in the Denver thread, Justin Holiday was got for around $4 million and literally the only reason the Pacers got him was because his agent held out and all the money dried up. He's a steal.

    Trey Burke got $2 million. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson $2.5 million. Seth Curry $7.5 million. Trey Lyles $5.5 million. TJ McConnell $3.5 million. Jabari Parker $6.5 million. Glenn Robinson $1.8 million.

    Take any combination of $15 million from that list and you're +5 wins conservatively, 15-10 instead of 10-15 and in the playoffs in the West. There's only 6 teams in the West above .500. You can improve by replacing average players with great players, but you also improve by replacing bad players with average players. And the Wolves have 3 bad players getting heavy minutes in their rotation.

    EDIT: Ok 13.5 million with Wiggins' actual number. Holiday, McConnell, RHJ is $10 million.
    Last edited by IndyRealist; 12-15-2019 at 06:39 PM.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    15,956
    Then you're telling me the real problem is with management. If you can fix their team with 1-2 strategically-placed low-priced role players (none of which are starters or 6th man potential types) then their front office is doing a really bad job.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,145
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    That's going to require roster changes. RoCo is one of the few defenders. Dare I say they are missing Rubio?
    Denver has the same roster and is now first in defense. Malone got it through their head we arenít a playoff team by just scoring.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,508
    Quote Originally Posted by tp13baby View Post
    Denver has the same roster and is now first in defense. Malone got it through their head we arenít a playoff team by just scoring.
    Idk if their 33 year old head coach is of the same ilk ask Malone though.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,868
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    Then you're telling me the real problem is with management. If you can fix their team with 1-2 strategically-placed low-priced role players (none of which are starters or 6th man potential types) then their front office is doing a really bad job.
    I'm saying you make one or two bad decisions, and you get priced into a substandard bench. Without cap space to outbid other teams, it'll be difficult to convince value players to come off the bench in Minnesota. Small markets needs to stay flexible, and 3 max contracts isn't flexible.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    4,035
    Theyíre soft and they donít work hard, Jimmy already exposed this. Look at how bad they are without him.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,594
    They need a hard-*** adult in the room, preferably a point guard, to keep them on point. Paul might actually be a good fit here. I wouldn't give much up for him*- maybe Teague, Dieng and and asset.
    It's a serious risk that Paul will stay healthy, but Towns and Wiggins are already locked into long-term deals. Paul could feed them both and provide some necessary closing power.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    4,035
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    They need a hard-*** adult in the room, preferably a point guard, to keep them on point. Paul might actually be a good fit here. I wouldn't give much up for him*- maybe Teague, Dieng and and asset.
    It's a serious risk that Paul will stay healthy, but Towns and Wiggins are already locked into long-term deals. Paul could feed them both and provide some necessary closing power.
    Thing is they already had one and towns and Wiggins couldnít handle being held accountable for.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •