Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 167
  1. #106
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    And no legitimate pitching prospects on the horizon
    Kilome & Szapucki might surprise some people. At least, I am hoping.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    21,259
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Ok, but let's see if Davis is anything more than a one-year flash before anointing him the second coming of Rogers Hornsby. I'm also curious to see what Yoenis looks like in Spring Training. A motivated Yoenis can carry a team on his shoulders. But yeah, your point about the two-year hiatus is a fair one, too.

    I'm just not ready to make any assumptions about either player right now. Yes, we all liked what we saw from JD last year. But let's see him do it again. And yes, Yoenis has been absent the last two years. But let's see if he has anything left in the tank. Because no, you're not getting rid of his salary. You're not trading him.
    Let’s see if Cespedes is anything more than a half a season flash in the pan.

    Oh wait...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    21,259
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    We're going to remember these posts during the season. Be ready.
    Phillies suck at developing and getting the most out of their pitchers. Even with Zack, their rotation is half as valuable as ours. Nola + Wheeler is a nice 1-2 but their 3-5 is dog ****.

    I don’t see Wheeler taking the next step like some of y’all but I also don’t think Wheeler is as “bad” as Stuna makes him seem.

    I’m expecting him to have a near identical season to last, if not worse.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

  4. #109
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hoboken, NJ
    Posts
    3,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    In the end with this cash strapped team, it was probably for the best to let Wheeler leave. It is a shame that this starting staff is reduced to Noah & Jacob and a whole bunch of question marks.
    Stroman has slightly better numbers then Wheeler so I wouldn't call him a question mark, although I would have liked to be able to bring him back for the right price because he still is better than what our 4th & 5th guy are penciled in to be.
    Just a Met's fan surrounded by Phillies fan's standing strong behind enemy lines

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    13,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Phillies suck at developing and getting the most out of their pitchers. Even with Zack, their rotation is half as valuable as ours. Nola + Wheeler is a nice 1-2 but their 3-5 is dog ****.

    I don’t see Wheeler taking the next step like some of y’all but I also don’t think Wheeler is as “bad” as Stuna makes him seem.

    I’m expecting him to have a near identical season to last, if not worse.
    I trust Girardi. Anyway even if Wheeler continues pitching as he did the last two seasons, that makes him a big problem for us.

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    66,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    That’s 50 TBF in high leverage situations, talk about small sample size. But by all means use that stat to illustrate your narrative.

    Men in scoring position-total batter faced (TBF) 204

    .258/.305/.382wOBA.282 and a FIP of 3.19
    Baseball reference seemingly has a different calculation for what is considered high leverage.

    For their calculation, Wheeler accumulated 137 TBF instead and hitters hit .306/.333/.521 against him. In tie games, hitters hit .295/.352/.462 in 263 PA.

    Men in scoring position without context is pretty useless. Who cares how Wheeler performs with a runner on 2nd base when we’re up 5 runs or when the game is already out of reach? A solo HR in the bottom of the 7th in a tie game is much more damaging because we lose the lead. But that would only be considered only “bases empty.”

  7. #112
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hoboken, NJ
    Posts
    3,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Kilome & Szapucki might surprise some people. At least, I am hoping.
    I think Szapucki might be a solid piece for us soon as well. I'm not as caught up on Kilome.
    Just a Met's fan surrounded by Phillies fan's standing strong behind enemy lines

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    31,449
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Baseball reference seemingly has a different calculation for what is considered high leverage.

    For their calculation, Wheeler accumulated 137 TBF instead and hitters hit .306/.333/.521 against him. In tie games, hitters hit .295/.352/.462 in 263 PA.

    Men in scoring position without context is pretty useless. Who cares how Wheeler performs with a runner on 2nd base when we’re up 5 runs or when the game is already out of reach? A solo HR in the bottom of the 7th in a tie game is much more damaging because we lose the lead. But that would only be considered only “bases empty.”
    What were Porcello’s and Wacha’s numbers in those situations?

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    What were Porcello’s and Wacha’s numbers in those situations?
    Wacha’s high leverage were pretty good. Granted it’s only 22 TBF, now his low and medium leverage numbers are vomit inducing.

    .305.375.525wOBA-.378 289 TBF

    .280.356.472wOBA-.343 251 TBF

    .200.238.550wOBA-.317 22 TBF


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    66,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    What were Porcello’s and Wacha’s numbers in those situations?
    That’s not relevant because both pitchers weren’t good in 2019. Mets are hoping for a bounce-back from as both guys have had success in the past and aren’t old where that is unfeasible.

    That’s why they came cheap and on 1 year deals and not 5 years $118m like Wheeler got.

    Also neither guy is replacing Wheeler.

    Brodie traded for Stroman at the deadline as Wheeler’s replacement for 2020.

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    21,259
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheKing30 View Post
    I think Szapucki might be a solid piece for us soon as well. I'm not as caught up on Kilome.
    Don’t forget drew smith.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    66,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Don’t forget drew smith.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m high on Kevin Smith and I’m higher on David Peterson than most. I can see one or both of these guys contributing in 2020.

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,992
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I’m high on Kevin Smith and I’m higher on David Peterson than most. I can see one or both of these guys contributing in 2020.
    Didn’t like Peterson when we drafted him. My ceiling on him was Pelfrey type career.
    Hopefully I’m wrong, I didn’t like drafting Nimmo and he turned out pretty good

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    31,449
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    That’s not relevant because both pitchers weren’t good in 2019. Mets are hoping for a bounce-back from as both guys have had success in the past and aren’t old where that is unfeasible.

    That’s why they came cheap and on 1 year deals and not 5 years $118m like Wheeler got.

    Also neither guy is replacing Wheeler.

    Brodie traded for Stroman at the deadline as Wheeler’s replacement for 2020.
    Then who replaces what Stroman gave us last year when we had both him and Wheeler together?

    I thought the goal was to try to improve on our 86 win season, not get slightly worse which is how it looks right now.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 12-18-2019 at 04:58 PM.

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Then who replaces what Stroman gave us last year when we had both him and Wheeler together?

    I thought the goal was to try to improve on our 86 win season, not get slightly worse which is how it looks right now.
    Move Lugo back into the rotation, so the rotation is “gaining” a Lugo...think about if we don’t trade a Stroman, the rotation would gain Stroman

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •