Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giles

Giles

As I've stated before the Dodgers were desperate for bullpen help, they have now signed Treinen and are looking at signing Betances. Is that a sign or what? Damn you Atkins start working the phones on Giles. Opportunity missed.

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    As I've stated before the Dodgers were desperate for bullpen help, they have now signed Treinen and are looking at signing Betances. Is that a sign or what? Damn you Atkins start working the phones on Giles. Opportunity missed.
    What's a deal you would've liked to see?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    What's a deal you would've liked to see?
    It depends because they have promoted a ton of prospects over the past few years - would have liked Verdugo but it's too late now and we would have to add to Giles. I would ask for Jeter Downs, his plate discipline is off the charts.

It depends because they have promoted a ton of prospects over the past few years - would have liked Verdugo but it's too late now and we would have to add to Giles. I would ask for Jeter Downs, his plate discipline is off the charts.
    We have a SS though? I also have a hard time seeing the Dodgers give up their 5th best (soon to be even better) prospect when they have the ability to spend the way they do. Aren't they linked to Lindor? I imagine a prospect like Downs would be used in a deal like that.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    We have a SS though? I also have a hard time seeing the Dodgers give up their 5th best (soon to be even better) prospect when they have the ability to spend the way they do. Aren't they linked to Lindor? I imagine a prospect like Downs would be used in a deal like that.
    lux+downs for Lindor is the current rumor

I think Atkins needs to try something because trying to do this through the draft is going to be near impossible. They have promoted so many players so I'm not familiar with their current set. Dodgers would have been a good trading partner.

Add to Giles and get something done, need OBP and Downs brings that and yes he's a SS and not ready for the majors yet so acquiring talent is always a good thing. Most likely too late now.

Yeah we can probably strike the dodgers off the list.

But who else? Almost any contender or hopeful team could use a giles. The teams that already have an established closer might be even more inclined to trade for Giles because they can plan on limiting his innings through the season.

Chicago? The Reds? Indians?

Yeah we can probably strike the dodgers off the list.

But who else? Almost any contender or hopeful team could use a giles. The teams that already have an established closer might be even more inclined to trade for Giles because they can plan on limiting his innings through the season.

Chicago? The Reds? Indians?
    the Dodgers have Jansen and are still signing late inning relievers. Twins, Braves, Angels. Angels bullpen has been a mess for years - Robles can't be trusted. There are so many options he just needs to work the phones

Bottom line - Giles is our best and probably only trade asset. Heís our best chance at adding to this core for the future.
    Contract
    Market

Make it happen shapiro and Atkins. If they do it right then they will have bought a bit of forgiveness from me.

the Dodgers have Jansen and are still signing late inning relievers. Twins, Braves, Angels. Angels bullpen has been a mess for years - Robles can't be trusted. There are so many options he just needs to work the phones
    The Dodgers aren't going to trade prospects for 1 year of Giles. They made a deal that got them 2 of their top 5 prospects about a year ago and as you've mentioned they've promoted a lot of their top prospects recently. It's much easier to sign BP help for them.

The Angels definitely need BP help but getting an MLB ready prospect would be hard to fathom. Their farm is basically all Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh.

The Braves have spent a fair bit of money on Smith and Hamels so far.

The Twins could make sense if they don't sign any of the remaining big arms. I imagine MadBum or Ryu would eat up whatever money they have to spend.

Will Atkins wanna go into season w a mediocre closer? Heís gotta start thinking about keeping his job at some point

Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    Will Atkins wanna go into season w a mediocre closer? Heís gotta start thinking about keeping his job at some point
    This.

The BlueJays need to win some games next year, or Atkins and Shapiro will be looking for jobs. Giles is the only stable reliever they have on their roster. I doubt they are in a hurry to trade him.

If they do move Giles it would need to be for people who can help them now. Maybe they can use him in a trade package for Benitendi and David Price? Benitendi grew up as a CFer, so he would likely love the chance to go back there everyday. He's the perfect age with 3 years of control left and just to throw a cherry on top... he hits left handed. Something like that would make sense, as they would fill 2 needs with long term options. Trading him for some mid level specs that may or may not be good in a few years does not.

Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    Then his interests are misaligned. Not good

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Giles is the only stable reliever they have on their roster.
    i do not agree that he is a stable reliever at all. I donít even think he has the makeup of a stable reliever even if we ignore his career Pitching history. Heís very emotional.

If you think he will pitch like he pitched last season for the next 4 years... then keep him.
    I would put the likeliness of that happening at less that 10%. I would put the likeliness of him even carrying his performance from last year into this year at around 50% if we look at his hot/cold career.

Then his interests are misaligned. Not good
    This couldnít be more true. This is probably the most important sentence in this entire offseason.

I think the Angels would be the most logical trade partner right now.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast