Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What is your ideal time split for these two?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jansen plays "full time"

1 25.00%
  • McGuire plays "full time"

0 0%
  • Traditional platoon

2 50.00%
  • Even 50-50 split

1 25.00%
  • other

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jansen vs McGuire

Here's a hypothetical question for everyone.......

If you have 2 catchers and one of them is slightly better defensively and the other is better offensively, but they are both average (or better) defensively, who do you play ~120 games and who do you play ~40 games?I go with the superior bat as the guy who plays ~120 games. So with that being said, I don't understand how so many people have Jansen penciled in as the Jays starting catcher next year. To me, McGuire had stolen that job from Jansen by the end of last year after slashing .317/.333/.659 in Aug and following that up with a .298/.377/.468 slash line in Sept. At least enough that he should play at least 50% of the time.

Imo, the ideal time split for those two guys is a platoon situation. This would get McGuire's bat into the lineup more often, and it would put them both in a position to put up solid numbers. (NOTE: Last year McGuire slashed a ridiculous .316/.358/.566 against RHP.)

What would you like to see them do?
    Last edited by bartron_44; 12-09-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Here's a hypothetical question for everyone.......

If you have 2 catchers and one of them is slightly better defensively and the other is better offensively, but they are both average (or better) defensively, who do you play ~120 games and who do you play ~40 games?I go with the superior bat as the guy who plays ~120 games. So with that being said, I don't understand how so many people have Jansen penciled in as the Jays starting catcher next year. To me, McGuire had stolen that job from Jansen by the end of last year after slashing .317/.333/.659 in Aug and following that up with a .298/.377/.468 slash line in Sept. At least enough that he should play at least 50% of the time.

Imo, the ideal time split for those two guys is a platoon situation. This would get McGuire's bat into the lineup more often, and it would put them both in a position to put up solid numbers. (NOTE: Last year McGuire slashed a ridiculous .316/.358/.566 against RHP.)

What would you like to see them do?
    I think the book is still out.

It's really difficult to rate catchers especially with such a small sample size and the fact that catchers tend to mature - in baseball terms - at different ages. Defense rarely goes into a slump, offense does. I don't think there's a rush unless of course they can be used to get us a CF or SP. Now if it comes down to slightly better D then maybe at that point you take the one that can hit.

It's to be noted, Yankee fans were tearing into Sanchez for his play behind the plate during the ALCS. I'm sure he cost them probably a few runs - that is huge.
    Last edited by hanton; 12-09-2019 at 02:23 PM.

I lean towards offence most of the time.

Great thread idea!

Ideally I'd like to deal one of them for Starling Marte and that's been no secret. I wouldn't mind dealing either but if I had my choice I'd deal Jansen because I believe his value is higher. He's made some great strides defensively but I just don't believe in his bat. I don't think McGuire will be anything special either but he will be better than Jansen. It's mainly because I think Jansen would get more of a return than him though.

With that being said, if we started the season with both Jansen and McGuire I wouldn't be upset either. Ideally I'd like to see 1 of them get 3 starting pitchers and the other get 2 so yeah, as close to 50/50 as you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Great thread idea!

Ideally I'd like to deal one of them for Starling Marte and that's been no secret. I wouldn't mind dealing either but if I had my choice I'd deal Jansen because I believe his value is higher. He's made some great strides defensively but I just don't believe in his bat. I don't think McGuire will be anything special either but he will be better than Jansen. It's mainly because I think Jansen would get more of a return than him though.

With that being said, if we started the season with both Jansen and McGuire I wouldn't be upset either. Ideally I'd like to see 1 of them get 3 starting pitchers and the other get 2 so yeah, as close to 50/50 as you can.
    What do you think will be the best offensive season the two of them will post in their careers?

I donít think McGuire will ever have a .700ops over a whole season.

What do you think will be the best offensive season the two of them will post in their careers?

I donít think McGuire will ever have a .700ops over a whole season.
    If McGuire got the chance to play full time then I think at best a .740-.750ops could happen. McGuire was never a power hitter though so I'm not really banking on him keeping that up.
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Given where the game is heading, I go with the better bat long term. Pitch framing could be eliminated very soon with an electronic strike zone.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Given where the game is heading, I go with the better bat long term. Pitch framing could be eliminated very soon with an electronic strike zone.
    I totally forgot about robo umps. They tested it out at this years AFL All Start game - it was so weird because the catcher wasn't really into the game. He was just there to catch the ball. The only tool a catcher would really need is a good arm and good pop times.

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    I totally forgot about robo umps. They tested it out at this years AFL All Start game - it was so weird because the catcher wasn't really into the game. He was just there to catch the ball. The only tool a catcher would really need is a good arm and good pop times.
    Balls in the dirt and calling the game well will still matter too. But I can imagine the catchers being less engaged.

Thatís a good point.

Also base stealing is becoming much less of a factor until you get to the final innings.

Balls in the dirt and calling the game well will still matter too. But I can imagine the catchers being less engaged.
    I think the catchers being less engaged will faze out as they get used to it. Like you said, there are a lot of other important things they have to do and if they arenít focusedthat passed ball will ruin their day.

I have a hard time imagining robot umps ever being used tbh.

Coming to a minor league park near you. They will be rolling out robo umps to a few minor league systems in 2020. I would say in it's current state I agree but never say never.

I 100% see it, and I expect to see technology get integrated into the game further in our life times. Maybe a chip in the ball that calls safe/out calls or something. Iíd say within 20 years.

I 100% see it, and I expect to see technology get integrated into the game further in our life times. Maybe a chip in the ball that calls safe/out calls or something. Iíd say within 20 years.
    Yea the key is to make it as seamless as possible. When I was watching the AFL All Start game I didn't notice they were using Robo umps until the announcer mentioned it. It's not 100% seamless yet but it will get there - the ball/strike call takes about 1 second to reach the home plate ump who in-turn has to signal balls and strikes - just like now. Ultimately you want to eliminate the 1 second delay. They will get it done just a matter of time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast