Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 452 of 454 FirstFirst ... 352402442450451452453454 LastLast
Results 6,766 to 6,780 of 6799
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Well, all I can say is that i was pretty irked with the way the last 2 years ended, and I had to blow off steam. I still believe what I said, much of it can't be proved, it's just subjective observation. I'm passionate about the team, that's not always going to come out in calm footnoted analysis LOL.

Been following the Cubs for 30 years, since I was young. Losing is one thing, as a Cubs fan i'm very used to it, but when players say some of that may be due to preventable things like preparation it gets me hot. Anyways, glad we're a bit more on the same page.
    If youíve followed the Cubs for 30 years, then that should be every reason more to leave well enough alone with Joe. Why drag his name through the dirt when he helped accomplish something that no Cubs fan (unless you were 108 years old) has ever got to witness? I just donít get it. Iím passionate... Iím as passionate as the next guy, but I know when to say thank you and be quiet too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    If youíve followed the Cubs for 30 years, then that should be every reason more to leave well enough alone with Joe. Why drag his name through the dirt when he helped accomplish something that no Cubs fan (unless you were 108 years old) has ever got to witness? I just donít get it. Iím passionate... Iím as passionate as the next guy, but I know when to say thank you and be quiet too.
    People who deserve praise should get it, and people who deserve criticism should get it. Maddon deserves both. If you disagree, that's fine. IMO You don't a free pass in subsequent seasons because you helped get us a WS if in the opinion of the front office your performance was lacking afterwards.

We won a WS, but we should have been a dynasty. A lot of blame to go around.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    People who deserve praise should get it, and people who deserve criticism should get it. Maddon deserves both. If you disagree, that's fine. IMO You don't a free pass in subsequent seasons because you helped get us a WS if in the opinion of the front office your performance was lacking afterwards.

We won a WS, but we should have been a dynasty. A lot of blame to go around.
    Joe Maddon is not the reason we werenít a dynasty. Lol

This.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

I didn't say he was the reason. I said there's lot of blame to go around. He's part of the reason. Players, coaches, front office, some bad luck (injuries).

2019-20 Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

What is a dynasty anyway? The last time it has occurred in Baseball was the Yankees 4 titles in 5 years in the 90s (they made the WS 5 out of 6 years). But in recent times, there are people who donít consider the Giants a dynasty and they won 3 World Series in 5 years and that is because they didnít make the postseason in the other 2 years. If the Giants werenít a dynasty then how can Joe Maddon be the reason for the Cubs not becoming one?

IMO, just be happy with what we got out of this team. The dodgers are still trying to win one with one of the best rosters in baseball over the last 5 years and the Astros with one of the best rosters had to cheat to win one and lost to a team they were heavily favoured to beat in another World Series. The Red Sox allegedly cheated to win a recent World Series and then followed it up by not making the postseason and being 19 wins off their division winners.
    Last edited by JHBulls; 02-29-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    If the Giants werenít a dynasty then how can Joe Maddon be the reason for the Cubs not becoming one?
    Nobody is saying Joe Maddon was the sole reason the Cubs weren't a dynasty or came up short the last 2 seasons, just like nobody is saying Maddon is the sole reason they won a WS.

I've got no idea why the Cubs rebuild was supposed to be a dynasty. They are pretty rare. Why was this rebuild the one that was supposed to produce one? How many current managers have more then 1 world series title? Pretty sure it's zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    I've got no idea why the Cubs rebuild was supposed to be a dynasty. They are pretty rare. Why was this rebuild the one that was supposed to produce one? How many current managers have more then 1 world series title? Pretty sure it's zero.
    Not sure about being a dynasty, though comparison to the 90 Braves have been made.

The expectation was far more then a 2 year run at postseason play after 2016, with the young core group..
    Wasn't just about winning the WS but more so being a playoff contender every year with this/that group.

So, if they fail to make the postseason again this season, then I think it safe to say that since the WS in 16, the overall expectation of the main core group of this team has been a bit of a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    Most of their talented core was age 24 or under when they won the WS. They had a ridiculous amount of young talent and a franchise with deep pockets, with some good prospects also. They went to the NLCS or WS 3 years in a row, which is impressive enough but nobody thought they'd only make the playoffs once in the next 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Not sure about being a dynasty, though comparison to the 90 Braves have been made.

The expectation was far more then a 2 year run at postseason play after 2016, with the young core group..
    Wasn't just about winning the WS but more so being a playoff contender every year with this/that group.

So, if they fail to make the postseason again this season, then I think it safe to say that since the WS in 16, the overall expectation of the main core group of this team has been a bit of a disappointment.
    Wasn't expecting them to be the Yankees, but ya something like a poor man's version of the 90's Braves would have been nice, in other words consistent playoff appearances and a few WS appearances. 90's Braves got to the WS 5 times in 10 years, i certainly wouldn't expect this team or any team to match that.

I'm very happy we won a WS and I can live with that, even though I had higher expectations.

iI seem to remember alot of people, and articles, claiming that the Cubs could be the Patriots of baseball.

Sounded like some people were expecting a dynasty. I gotta admit... with this lineup, I certainly thought it was a possibility.

Red Sox P Chris Sale had an MRI done on his pitching elbow after throwing the day before and the images are being sent to Dr. James Andrews.

Oof

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Red Sox P Chris Sale had an MRI done on his pitching elbow after throwing the day before and the images are being sent to Dr. James Andrews.

Oof
    I'm shocked that he's been able to pitch this long with that delivery. I used to tell my Sox friends that TJS was inevitable. That was several years ago. He's held up surprisingly well considering.