Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 397 of 454 FirstFirst ... 297347387395396397398399407447 ... LastLast
Results 5,941 to 5,955 of 6799
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Expansion??? There's not enough talent to fill 30 rosters! It's already very deluded.
    When you consider there's 30 teams since 1998, but there's also been a big expansion into new player markets like latin america and asia since then, i'm not sure that's true.
    Last edited by Stratos; 02-13-2020 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    I’m now excited about Arenado and shouldn’t be.
    I read this and went straight to twitter thinking there was something new lol. I assume you’re talking about the report from this morning.

Just going by Theo’s comments yesterday, a deal like this didn’t seem like a possibility. I know he wouldn’t actually come out and say it, but he usually can say a lot by saying a little if you know what I mean. I just didn’t get that vibe this time. He was talking more about what we have and how a “new environment” will hopefully help. I know he also said there was still trade discussions going on, but I felt he meant more league wide, rather than just the Cubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    I read this and went straight to twitter thinking there was something new lol. I assume you’re talking about the report from this morning.

Just going by Theo’s comments yesterday, a deal like this didn’t seem like a possibility. I know he wouldn’t actually come out and say it, but he usually can say a lot by saying a little if you know what I mean. I just didn’t get that vibe this time. He was talking more about what we have and how a “new environment” will hopefully help. I know he also said there was still trade discussions going on, but I felt he meant more league wide, rather than just the Cubs.

He’s referring to this probably

2019-20 Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

Quote Originally Posted by s2obed View Post
    He’s referring to this probably

I mean that doesn’t say much either way. When do position players even report... Monday?

Edit: somebody that’s in Arizona should stalk Theo to see if he goes and meets with Arenado lol

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I’m not sure what you mean. Did you see the format they proposed the other day? It goes from 10 to 14, but since the 1st round is all at one site it wouldn’t necessarily add any more time to the playoffs. Maybe a day or two tops. Maybe none at all. Right now teams wait from Sunday till Thursday/Friday. They could do the WC round Tues-Thurs and still start the DS on Friday/Saturday. It doesn’t really change the timeline.
    First I thought they wanted a best of 3 or 5 WC rounds

You have 4 WC teams

Are they planning on keeping the WC games to 1 and done

So, yeah if they keep the WC round to 1 game then it doable.

play both NL WC games on Tuesday then winners play on Thursday and then start the NLDS on Saturday

The WC team will definitely be at a disadvantage starting the NLDS with their no.3 starter and the Division winners will have at least 5 days off.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    I mean that doesn’t say much either way. When do position players even report... Monday?

Edit: somebody that’s in Arizona should stalk Theo to see if he goes and meets with Arenado lol

Keep an eye on the Starbucks near the Campus [emoji6]

Dealing KB for Nolan is idiotic. Besides freeing up money a big key for trading Bryant supposedly was acquiring multiple quality pitching prospects.

Hopefully Theo is playing chicken with the Braves and wins out. Ozuna isn’t capable of replacing the production Donaldson provided last season. So acquiring an upgrade over Riley at Third should be a priority.

Would getting both Wright and Anderson be too much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Prior22 View Post
    Dealing KB for Nolan is idiotic. Besides freeing up money a big key for trading Bryant supposedly was acquiring multiple quality pitching prospects.

Hopefully Theo is playing chicken with the Braves and wins out. Ozuna isn’t capable of replacing the production Donaldson provided last season. So acquiring an upgrade over Riley at Third should be a priority.

Depends on how much the Rockies are willing to kick in. Locking up the best third-basemen at a reasonable rate for a very good third-baseman who is leaving in 2 years... that don’t sound bad to me.

What if Gray or Freeland comes with Nolan and then we lock them up on an extension ? Or 3 team with Gray going for a young arm to us. Would seem feasible, I think the hold up is two fold: the money the Rox kick in and the opt out . Guess we will see

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    When you consider there's 30 teams since 1998, but there's also been a big expansion into new player markets like latin america and asia since then, i'm not sure that's true.
    We have all that right now and there's still not enough good players to be considered major league players

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    We have all that right now and there's still not enough good players to be considered major league players
    Says who thawv? How do you establish if there are enough good players to have more teams? The game is ever changing. So what criteria do you use to make this statement? My guess is the league is filled with minor league talent that would be playing in the 70's. Just take a look at some of the teams and the rosters that we felt were good players back in the day and tell me honestly if they would play today.

Your post sound like the angry old man WE are. The guy always looking to the past and suggesting it was better. But really look at the rosters and if you can tell me you think there was more talent then, I would disagree with you. As Stratos said there are more places then ever to unearth talent. It only stands to reason that means there are more players with the talent to be able to play major league baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by huff View Post
    What if Gray or Freeland comes with Nolan and then we lock them up on an extension ? Or 3 team with Gray going for a young arm to us. Would seem feasible, I think the hold up is two fold: the money the Rox kick in and the opt out . Guess we will see
    Prior is right in the sense that dealing KB in some sort of Rox trade doesn't do what the FO said they wanted to do. Get young talent, and pitching talent. That cannot be denied. However, there are still ways to make that sort of thing happen, or to just decide to pay for pitching next off season. To your point on Gray, if the Rox want Bryant because they feel they can content (crazy idea, I know), they are not moving Gray. If the Cubs did this sort of deal, I feel eventually a guy like Contreras would be moved for young pitching. But that can be next off season. If the Cubs were able to get under the CBT and get Arenado, I can see them trade Willy next year for a pitcher. That would give them 3 starters. Then sign a pitcher in the $17M to $23M range and either Alzolay or maybe maybe another young guy takes the 5th spot. Or they sign a Gio Gonzalez sort of guy for the 5th spot.

Expansion won’t be decided because there is talent to support it.

It’ll be decided if the owners agree they want to get expansion fee now in exchange for adding 2 more cuts to all shared revenues.

The thing is, Prior, it seems the Cubs are not getting the offers for KB. To you point with Atlanta, you can't make them give you players. I would think if the Braves were willing to give up Anderson AND Wright something would have been done already. But if Anderson and Wright morph into Gray and Gonsolin of the Dodgers, the Cubs are absolutely correct to not trade Bryant. It is being reported the Phillies do not want to move Howard in a Bryant trade. Bottom line is, if the Cubs are not getting what they want in the form of young pitchers in a KB trade, they might have to pivot. So either made a different deal for him, or keep him. If they feel Arenado is a better option then dealing for him is not idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    First I thought they wanted a best of 3 or 5 WC rounds

You have 4 WC teams

Are they planning on keeping the WC games to 1 and done

So, yeah if they keep the WC round to 1 game then it doable.

play both NL WC games on Tuesday then winners play on Thursday and then start the NLDS on Saturday

The WC team will definitely be at a disadvantage starting the NLDS with their no.3 starter and the Division winners will have at least 5 days off.
    I thought the idea was the first round was 3 games all at the higher ranked teams home. The 3 winners then go on to play 2 series, with the team with the best record taking the spot of the 4th team. I believe this idea eliminates the 1 game play in.