Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 448 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Agree 100%. It's just too bad that we're in this position. I thought we would dominate the NL for many years.

My expectations were way too high.
    Yep, I agree. Your expectations were to high. Hell, the Cubs can argue the last 5 years they have been as good as any team in baseball, with the possible exception of the Astros (who, apparently, cheated) and yet you are disappointed. That tells me your expectations, as those of so many, were way too high. It might end this year. I get that. And I am disappointed if it does. But, IMO it doesn't have to end. Sure, they are probably not going to compete with the Dodgers, and most likely the Braves next year. But, after that, I feel they can play with anyone else in the NL, if they just make some good cheaper pick ups. I think you, me, and most Cubs fans got sucked into this dynasty idea and failed to realize how hard that actually was and just enjoy the run while it was happening. Instead of looking at it as a long run of excellent play, we looked at it as a long run of under-performing.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Yep, I agree. Your expectations were to high. Hell, the Cubs can argue the last 5 years they have been as good as any team in baseball, with the possible exception of the Astros (who, apparently, cheated) and yet you are disappointed. That tells me your expectations, as those of so many, were way too high. It might end this year. I get that. And I am disappointed if it does. But, IMO it doesn't have to end. Sure, they are probably not going to compete with the Dodgers, and most likely the Braves next year. But, after that, I feel they can play with anyone else in the NL, if they just make some good cheaper pick ups. I think you, me, and most Cubs fans got sucked into this dynasty idea and failed to realize how hard that actually was and just enjoy the run while it was happening. Instead of looking at it as a long run of excellent play, we looked at it as a long run of under-performing.
    This whole post is exactly how I feel. Your last sentence screams the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Kimbrel can bring something back if he is vintage Kimbrel next year. Maybe Q if heís pitching decent. Nobody is taking Lester and definitely not picking up Heyward mega contract at the deadline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lester could be an interest for a contender looking to add a rental starter for the stretch run, especially if he pitching well

Heyward a long shot but if he hitting good, and Cubs eat some salary a 30 yo GG RFer at 3/65 not that bad

2019-20 Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Lester could be an interest for a contender looking to add a rental starter for the stretch run, especially if he pitching well

Heyward a long shot but if he hitting good, and Cubs eat some salary a 30 yo GG RFer at 3/65 not that bad
    That would be a lot of money for a team to eat for a pitcher past his prime. Now I canít predict how Lester will be pitching come deadline time, but I imagine there will be better options out there. Canít ever tell though.

And as far as Heyward goes, that an offseason move IMO. If they are willing to eat a lot of Heywards money they will move him this offseason or there just arenít any teams interested now nor will they at the deadline. Same as Lester with Heyward, I donít see either one lighting it up so well that another team wants to take on those contracts. Again itís speculation because I donít know how either will be performing at the end of July in 2020.

Last edited by ivyboys; 12-07-2019 at 06:17 PM.

https://twitter.com/mlbbrucelevine/s...301860352?s=21

Looks like the Cubs mean business for the Winter Meetings.

If a team doesn't value Bryant as a 6-8 win 3B that's as irreplaceable as this board believes, then hold on to him until the deadline. If he has a monster year, someone may get desperate and you get a better return. But based on the returns everyone are expecting, it seems like you can pick up a superstar almost on demand

Lester would probably be moveable if the Cubs paid half the buy out. Maybe get a better prospect if they pay more

That would be a lot of money for a team to eat for a pitcher past his prime. Now I canít predict how Lester will be pitching come deadline time, but I imagine there will be better options out there. Canít ever tell though.

And as far as Heyward goes, that an offseason move IMO. If they are willing to eat a lot of Heywards money they will move him this offseason or there just arenít any teams interested now nor will they at the deadline. Same as Lester with Heyward, I donít see either one lighting it up so well that another team wants to take on those contracts. Again itís speculation because I donít know how either will be performing at the end of July in 2020.

He has a 10 mil buyout for 2021
    If needed too, cubs could eat half

https://twitter.com/mlbbrucelevine/s...301860352?s=21

Looks like the Cubs mean business for the Winter Meetings.

Hope so, by this time next week it would be nice to see the roster taking shape for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post

If I was to guess how much the Cubs would have to eat, I would base it on FG's dollar amount of 5.7 million per win for a position player. He's been worth 5.9 wins over the last 4 years. I'm gonna give him 6 wins over the next 4 years. Based on those numbers, he would be worth 34 million over the next 4 years. I think the Cubs would have to eat in the area of 50-55 million to move him. I would do it without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by jfoley89 View Post
    If a team doesn't value Bryant as a 6-8 win 3B that's as irreplaceable as this board believes, then hold on to him until the deadline. If he has a monster year, someone may get desperate and you get a better return. But based on the returns everyone are expecting, it seems like you can pick up a superstar almost on demand
    Service time is king today. If a team is willing to trade a superstar nearing free agency the trade cost isnít massive. By that point the superstar is making big money so the surplus value is limited and the years of control are limited and teams arenít nearly as aggressive to win immediately at the expense of the long term as they used to be.

If Bryant or Betts are traded the return will be less than most people think. Just like Machado when he was dealt. People were talking about all these huge name prospects and he went for 1 guy in the back of the top 100 and a bunch of filler. Realmuto went for a top 40, a league average player, and lotto tickets. Gerrit Cole went for a bunch of mediocrity. Musgrove was top 100 at a point before that trade, but never a huge upside guy. Moran was a high pick who never played to that level, then filler. Bryant would probably get them a 55FV (prospect between 25-40ish in rankings), a 2nd interesting player who is either a prospect with legit risk and upside (maybe back of the top 100, maybe not ranked yet but moving in that direction) or a decent but not very good mlb player and a lotto ticket or two or IFA money/comp balance draft pick or something like that.
    Last edited by CP_414; 12-07-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Service time is king today. If a team is willing to trade a superstar nearing free agency the trade cost isnít massive. By that point the superstar is making big money so the surplus value is limited and the years of control are limited and teams arenít nearly as aggressive to win immediately at the expense of the long term as they used to be.

If Bryant or Betts are traded the return will be less than most people think. Just like Machado when he was dealt. People were talking about all these huge name prospects and he went for 1 guy in the back of the top 100 and a bunch of filler. Realmuto went for a top 40, a league average player, and lotto tickets. Gerrit Cole went for a bunch of mediocrity. Musgrove was top 100 at a point before that trade, but never a huge upside guy. Moran was a high pick who never played to that level, then filler. Bryant would probably get them a 55FV (prospect between 25-40ish in rankings), a 2nd interesting player who is either a prospect with legit risk and upside (maybe back of the top 100, maybe not ranked yet but moving in that direction) or a decent but not very good mlb player and a lotto ticket or two or IFA money/comp balance draft pick or something like that.
    I'm not disagreeing. It just changes the dynamic for me as far as saying how hard he is to replace if you move him. If 6-8 win players are available with 2 years of control for less than we paid for Q, it gives you some flexibility to rebuild quicker as money opens

I'm not disagreeing. It just changes the dynamic for me as far as saying how hard he is to replace if you move him. If 6-8 win players are available with 2 years of control for less than we paid for Q, it gives you some flexibility to rebuild quicker as money opens
    For 2020 thereís not a realistic replacement for those wins if heís traded. They arenít going to turn around and trade for Betts after moving KB and Lindor would probably cost more to acquire than Bryant. They arenít signing Rendon and Donaldson would take a 4 year big money deal which isnít smart at this point, especially after subtracting Bryant.

They could try to acquire those wins back in a future year, but they wonít be able to replace 5-8 WAR from a single roster spot this winter.

The Cubs gave up a top 10 and a top 75 for Q. So year, you can acquire a KB 2 years away from FA making $45ish mil over those 2 years for less than that. Absolutely. You need to have those prospects to spare and a willingness to take on short term money. If they are trading KB now thereís not going to be a willingness to use that prospect value on a big money short term buy. In a future year, there could be a fit and a willingness, but not for 2020.
    Last edited by CP_414; 12-07-2019 at 07:15 PM.

True, but if 16 potential WAR can be acquired for mostly financial relief, it puts the Cubs at a huge advantage 2 years from now in a rebuild

True, but if 16 potential WAR can be acquired for mostly financial relief, it puts the Cubs at a huge advantage 2 years from now in a rebuild
    What do you mean? Itís not just financial relief. A 55 FV prospect has $30-45 mil in surplus value on average. Thereís still a lot of potential value in realistic prospect packages, but these Fried and Wright and Waters or Bohm and Howard and Medina ideas are not happening.

I donít think the Cubs will ďrebuild,Ē but yeah, I do think theyíll be better positioned in 2 years to be the team that could trade for a 2 year rental of a superstar rather than the one talking about trading these guys away. That still doesnít make KB replaceable for 2020. Heís not realistically replaceable short term.
    Last edited by CP_414; 12-07-2019 at 07:23 PM.

Page 3 of 448 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast