Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 418 of 454 FirstFirst ... 318368408416417418419420428 ... LastLast
Results 6,256 to 6,270 of 6799
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    It's only about getting under the cap this year. NC was likely never an option, except to us fans. They knew a few years ago that they would be in this situation. It's always been their plan to get under the cap this year, and attempt to move guys that they are not going to be able to extend, or want to extend.

They just haven't been able to do it up to this point.
    Do we really know that was the plan all along? Or are we taking the word of the FO now, since this is what they are doing now. I agree that is the plan for 2020, I just do not agree that was ALWAYS the thought, way back in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    Iím sorry, I disagree with Baez if thatís a slight at Joe.

If itís not a mandatory workout and you choose not to get yourself ready (knowing you arenít feeling warmed up until mid game) thatís as much a knock on your character as it would be Joes managing.
    Think he was basically saying there was no strict pregame rule as far as warmups were concerned and some players took advantage of it by taking it lightly or not doing at all..

Delete

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Early 2018, ďDarvish told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that he thought school in Los Angeles would be tough for his kids because, ďTheir last name is Darvish.Ē **** the Astros for making Darvish feel that way, that World Series was not his fault.

The Astros owe a lot of people a genuine apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Simon View Post
    The job of a manager is to MANAGE the players, not let them do whatever they want to do. Sure, giving the team some flexibility at times is probably necessary but not all the time, which is what it sounds like was happening.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Agreed. But if you feel youíre not ready at the start of the game, you rectify that. Javy isnít a little leaguer, heís a grown man.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Of course not! It's just a complete coincidence! Nothing suspicious to report here!
    So, let's break this down, should we?

1. If Tony Kemp was such persona non grata, why would the Astros division rivals who employ one of the first whistle blowers trade for him? You'd think if any team in the league would be worried about having such a "hot media topic" or whatever on their team, the Oakland Athletics and Mike Fiers would be among the last who'd want that.

2. Tony Kemp had 39 PA's in 2017. He was on the team for less than 3 full weeks.

3. Why would the Cubs care about the media backlash of a bit player like Tony Kemp who literally barely sniffed the field for the 2017 Astros when they willingly kept Addison Russell, who all but admitted to beating his wife? The backlash for that was 100x more than what anyone is going to care about Tony Kemp

4. You can't possibly believe that the media is going to keep hounding Tony ****ing Kemp, do you? I mean, don't you think the media has bigger fish to fry?

5. If ex-Astros players were such a media issue, wouldn't other players be getting traded and released? Jake Marisnick is still a Met. Charlie Morton is still a Ray. No one is beating down the door of Brian McCann after his retirement...

So...if you want to look at all of the evidence and live on a planet where the Chicago Cubs were shaking in their boots that the media backlash on Tony Kemp was going to be so great that they had to trade him? Be my guest. Live in that fantasy world. What's more likely is that the Cubs have plenty of garbage 2b options and the A's offered up what could be a useful prospect down the road for him and the Cubs thought "hey, better go ahead and take that". I understand the timing could make it appear as though there's some causation there, but almost assuredly it's a "correlation =/= causation" case.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Think he was basically saying there was no strict pregame rule as far as warmups were concerned and some players took advantage of it by taking it lightly or not doing at all..
    Iím definitely all for more structure going forward. I just think Javy needs to hold him self accountable for that as well. Perhaps he wasnít even blaming Joe.

If so, Joe was wrong for being too lax with the players. But the players are wrong for taking advantage of that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I very much remember you saying that. And I very much agreed with you.
    The mechanical part of hitting isnít hard. His stance defied a lot of the basics. Sometimes a guy is good enough to work through and kind of hide the flaw. If he stays taller, Iíd go on record to say he will have his best year hitting.

Iím definitely all for more structure going forward. I just think Javy needs to hold him self accountable for that as well. Perhaps he wasnít even blaming Joe.

If so, Joe was wrong for being too lax with the players. But the players are wrong for taking advantage of that as well.
    He definitely holding himself accountable

https://twitter.com/MDGonzales/statu...474497536?s=19

Like I said, think it was more that they were given the choice over it being a must do, and they took advantage of it by slacking

I agree with you. The players should have been more accountable. It was as much their fault as it was Joe's. But Joe has to take a part of it. And, as they always say "you can't fire all the players". So if the FO wanted more structure moving forward, they just don't sign Maddon again. Which is exactly what they did.

BDawk = Coach Kent Murphy?

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Manfred is a ****ing moron. How can you justify suspending players for being justifiably upset at a team that cheated, yes not suspend the cheaters at all?

If Manfred survives beyond this year baseball will lose what little credibility it has left thanks to the Astros.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    Manfred is a ****ing moron. How can you justify suspending players for being justifiably upset at a team that cheated, yes not suspend the cheaters at all?

If Manfred survives beyond this year baseball will lose what little credibility it has left thanks to the Astros.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    On this instance Manfried isnt far off. Players can be justifiably mad but throwing at players is not a solution. It can result in very real injuries that the game simply doesn't need. The last thing the MLB needs right now on top of a cheating scandal is a league who's taking vigilante justice into its own hand and having players hurt.

I totally get being upset. But the league can't go full on bean ball. It's dangerous. Nothing the Astros did is worth potentially harming a human being.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Discipline for throwing at batters should be tougher. Purposely throwing at a hitter should be a minimum 5 game suspension. Make them miss a start, not just get pushed back a day or two. But because of the timing this is not going to go over very well. If they had actually given the Astros a proper punishment it would be easier to believe this isn't just about the Astros.

Agreed. But if you feel youíre not ready at the start of the game, you rectify that. Javy isnít a little leaguer, heís a grown man.
    Absolutely. However, Javy aside, there is one man in charge of making sure everyone is ready to go, and that man was Joe.
    When you have a collection of individuals there will always be those who are accountable for their own actions and those who are not, that is why you have one man in charge who makes sure that everyone is accountable, and he didn't make sure of that. He allowed people to be themselves, and when you do that some people will not be accountable for themselves. That falls on Joe.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk