Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 62 of 292 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast
    What comes across as really reckless in hindsight is the Kimbrel signing. I can't imagine Theo wasn't aware that the budget was going to be incredibly tight. If you were risking having to move Bryant this off-season I don't get how that's a worthwhile gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I am having a very hard time understanding why what they did last year has anything to do with spending this year. OK, so they underperformed. So is Ricketts being a spoiled child and taking his ball and going home? What the hell difference does it make if they spent and didn't win last year. That was last year. So why cant they now spend this year. No one, I repeat, no one is suggested they needed to blow it out of the water. I have yet to see people complaining that the Cubs did not get Cole or Strasburg. The only thing I have seen people suggest is that with the revenues the Cubs generate they should be playing at the high end of the salary structure and it is a little bit of an insult to be crying broke and that being the reason for not spending.
    And, I get spending money doesn't necessarily fix the problem. But spending money this off season, at a reasonable level can make this team contend. And they can always go about fixing the other issues while spending on the payroll of the team. They can do both.
    Where are they obtaining young impact pitching without trading anyone? Where's an infusion of young talent coming from? I'm sure they can spend 30-60 million and maybe win the division. This team and farm aren't sustainable as is. Anyone who is good is getting expensive, and everyone that's bad already is. They can chase another year or two and start from scratch, or they can retool. I see no path to do both without massive changes in the new CBA.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    What comes across as really reckless in hindsight is the Kimbrel signing. I can't imagine Theo wasn't aware that the budget was going to be incredibly tight. If you were risking having to move Bryant this off-season I don't get how that's a worthwhile gamble.
    This.

#DingerSZN
    #AllenWatch
    End of Season Stats
    .542AVG/.562OBP/.889SLG/1.451OPS/21RBIs/3Dingers(1 grand slam)
    Selected to All-Conference Team
    Selected First Team All-District Team
    Selected First Team All-Region Team
    Verbal Commitment to State Fair Community College

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Straight fastballs, easy to crush.

There is a batting cage in KC that advertises as 99MPH. It's set up at 60'6" and of course is supposed to mimic the real thing. A couple years ago me and some buddies after Christmas shopping decided to stop in and get some big daddy hacks. I've played baseball (and fastpitch softball) much like 1908 at varying levels, do private hitting instruction, etc., but nothing, I repeat nothing I have ever done compared to standing in that box facing a "controlled" baseball coming that fast. I made contact a couple of times and it hurt. Tried bunting a couple, even got a couple down, and it hurt.

It really makes you reconsider just how "good" someone thinks they are.
    For the record, "made contact" means the ball touched the bat. Not sure I ever got one on the barrel.

#DingerSZN
    #AllenWatch
    End of Season Stats

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Ah yeah. One of my faves.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    About 2 months I threw some BP at my youngest sons college.

My arm still throbs.

#DingerSZN
    #AllenWatch
    End of Season Stats

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    David Peralta, Joc Pederson, JBJ, Robbie Ray. Itís a weaker FA class next year after Mookie and Springer.
    Can David Peralta handle CF? Didnít he win a GG in LF this year? I know the arm is good enough to play anywhere being a former pitcher. He can be the leadoff guy. I really wanted him last year but he got hurt like a month before the deadline it seems like. I guess trading prospects for 1 year of Peralta doesnít actually make sense if we are stepping back next year.

Also Adam Frazier fits the left handed hitting 2nd baseman that we are apparently looking for. I know his name has been discussed already but I would like him as well.

Itís really hard to discuss next years options with not knowing what to expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anybody is interested Jed Hoyer is joining the show next on MLB Network

2019-20 Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

Yeah. It was the perfect storm. They were playing well at the time. The bullpen was a problem. They had all that Zobrist money just appear in the budget. Hopefully he can provide value in year 2.

I think people, not you, are overstating the financial issues moving forward. They have a lot of free agents pending, but they have a ton of payroll room to pick the ones they want to keep. The farm system isnít terrible. Some people wonít believe it until baseball America tells them itís ok to believe it, but theyíve made a ton of progress. Fangraphs has them 20th (Ahead of NYY, Houston, Boston, Milwaukee and 1 spot behind Stl). Theyíll probably only graduate Nico of the top prospects this year. They arenít going to trade the key prospects away. The situation isnít dire. They can put back the $30 mil they dropped and try to win in 2020 and not face a 2012 style rebuild in 2022.

How much did Miami pay for Villar? Iím still a little salty we didnít give him a shot. Brandon Hyde said Villar could have stole 70 bases this past season if he didnít shut him down from stealing so much. Plus the power is intriguing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    You say two years running like they didnít tie for the best record in the NL in 2018. Itís unfortunate how that ended, but they werenít a terrible team.

The Nats could have not respent Harpers money. They only won 82 games. It wasnít working. Zero playoff series wins, .500 season, superstar leaving. They respent the money. The Red Sox finished in last place 3 times this decade around multiple WS wins and 4 1st place finishes. They could have blown it up every time they failed. But they kept spending.

The Cubs tanked to get good when most of the big market teams got good without tanking. Now that they are in the window of being good they want to step back. Fans should complain about that. Thatís not being spoiled. Being spoiled is thinking that an 84 win team with a +100ish RD sucks and has no hope moving forward.
    They lost a guy that provided 2 WAR in 51 games, they lost a 2.5 win starter. 50% of their rotation was horrific at the end of the year.

They lost a guy that several believe was the best manager in the game and replaced him with someone with zero experience. This isn't that same team. NC was a +154 wrC player for the Cubs.

Who on this team do you think will be better than they were in 19? Maybe Kimbrel? It would be hard to be worse. Who do you think regresses? Lester and Q seem likely.

You bring up the Red Sox, but in 2012 they dumped 270 million worth of players to the Dodgers to reset their roster.
    I'll acknowledge you could contend next year. Maybe even be highly competitive if you blow past the 3rd luxury tax line. I don't think you'll be able to reset in 3 years if you do, and I expect the Cubs will have to bottom out to rebuild

It's a head scratcher considering the track record of guys signing in season. It was very much a go for it move, but it's looking so much worse now

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    About 2 months I threw some BP at my youngest sons college.

My arm still throbs.
    Between a complete wrist reconstruction and 2 rotator cuffs, my arm throbs throwing pitches on The Show

Once again, if the Cubs ownership lets the Cubs FO spend a 15-20 mil on the bullpen during the offseason, instead of dumpster diving, they probably don't get stuck spending 15 mil on the only guy left during the season and having another bad contract on the books. They also win more games.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    If anybody is interested Jed Hoyer is joining the show next on MLB Network

And he said absolutely nothing worth talking about. Same lines weíve been hearing the whole time

2019-20 Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

Quote Originally Posted by jfoley89 View Post
    They lost a guy that provided 2 WAR in 51 games, they lost a 2.5 win starter. 50% of their rotation was horrific at the end of the year.

They lost a guy that several believe was the best manager in the game and replaced him with someone with zero experience. This isn't that same team. NC was a +154 wrC player for the Cubs.

Who on this team do you think will be better than they were in 19? Maybe Kimbrel? It would be hard to be worse. Who do you think regresses? Lester and Q seem likely.

You bring up the Red Sox, but in 2012 they dumped 270 million worth of players to the Dodgers to reset their roster.
    I'll acknowledge you could contend next year. Maybe even be highly competitive if you blow past the 3rd luxury tax line. I don't think you'll be able to reset in 3 years if you do, and I expect the Cubs will have to bottom out to rebuild
    Regarding the Red Sox, they respent the money. The 2013 payroll was about the same as 2012. If the Cubs want to trade a bunch of players and respend it on others, go ahead. My complaint is only if they trade a bunch of players to cut money and donít respend it.

Who can be better next year? Darvish, Javy (better and healthier), KB (especially defensively), Contreras defensively, Schwarber. Most importantly the bench and high leverage relievers. They underachieved because they either didnít have a high leverage reliever or it took way too long to realize that Wick, Ryan, Wieck were those guys and Brach and others werenít. They also gave 1200 PAs to guys who couldnít hit. Those arenít expensive problems to fix. Get anyone who can hit first and get on base once in a while. The stars in the lineup were great. The bottom of the position player group was way worse than the bottom of other teams rosters. Baserunning. They donít have to be a terrible baserunning team again.

The Cubs can be highly competitive in 2020 at the same payroll they had in 2019. No doubt in my mind about it.
    Last edited by CP_414; 12-11-2019 at 04:39 PM.