Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 419 of 454 FirstFirst ... 319369409417418419420421429 ... LastLast
Results 6,271 to 6,285 of 6799
  1. #6271
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    86,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    BDawk = Coach Kent Murphy?
    Print the shirts.

  2. #6272
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    7,251
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    On this instance Manfried isnt far off. Players can be justifiably mad but throwing at players is not a solution. It can result in very real injuries that the game simply doesn't need. The last thing the MLB needs right now on top of a cheating scandal is a league who's taking vigilante justice into its own hand and having players hurt.

    I totally get being upset. But the league can't go full on bean ball. It's dangerous. Nothing the Astros did is worth potentially harming a human being.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Its the optics that are killing him. I'm not justifying the bean ball stuff. He's a ****ing idiot.

  3. #6273
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    86,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    BDawk = Coach Kent Murphy?
    I just remember getting ripped for my opinion and completely dismissed because I wasn’t a “pro”. Just funny is all.

  4. #6274
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    55,277
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    Its the optics that are killing him. I'm not justifying the bean ball stuff. He's a ****ing idiot.
    I guess I just don't understand the optics of it. The optics of that are fine. He can't say "this is because of the Astros" because then it looks like favorites. Stopping the bean ball game early is the right thing to do, here.

    He's had some boneheaded moves. I think the playoffs thing is a bit much. Some of the rule changes are a bit too tinkery. I actually agree, stripping the title is stupid. They do that in college sports...but we all know "who won". This time, I agree too.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  5. #6275
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    44,610
    I said it several times over the last couple years that the team looked like they severely lacked in the preparation department. Despite that they were regularly among the best offenses in the game. Im excited to see what they can achieve when they really dig into their prep.

    Hopefully a lot less of getting stymied by the Peter Lamberts and the multitude of AAAA scrubs of the world.

  6. #6276
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    18,187
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I just remember getting ripped for my opinion and completely dismissed because I wasn’t a “pro”. Just funny is all.
    I just always imagined you as Kent Murphy. You make the forum fun. More BDawk would be welcome around here to break the tension of all the arguing of semantics.
    Chicago CubsChicago BlackhawksBuffalo BillsSouthern Illinois University Salukis

    Naomi OsakaAngelique KerberBianca Andreescu

  7. #6277
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,050
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I agree with you. The players should have been more accountable. It was as much their fault as it was Joe's. But Joe has to take a part of it. And, as they always say "you can't fire all the players". So if the FO wanted more structure moving forward, they just don't sign Maddon again. Which is exactly what they did.
    Yeah, I agree with all this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Simon View Post
    Absolutely. However, Javy aside, there is one man in charge of making sure everyone is ready to go, and that man was Joe.
    When you have a collection of individuals there will always be those who are accountable for their own actions and those who are not, that is why you have one man in charge who makes sure that everyone is accountable, and he didn't make sure of that. He allowed people to be themselves, and when you do that some people will not be accountable for themselves. That falls on Joe.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    And I agree with this as well. Seems there’s plenty of blame to go around. Hopefully something as simple as more structure is a big help to this team.

  8. #6278
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    37,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Simon View Post
    I disagree. Yes, the whole reason was risk of losing him for nothing but that risk remains, whether they've made him an offer or not.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    You entirely missed my point. Basically Bryant is saying they haven't even tried to extend him. Trading him without trying to extend him first is a pretty bad look. I get trying to get something for him because of fear of losing him for nothing, but not even trying to keep him first isn't good.

  9. #6279
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,437
    I can't wait to see the difference with Ross. I think it's going to be extremely noticeable. It may or may not equate to wins, as the talent is still the same, but I think that the overall effort will be better.

  10. #6280
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,437
    Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    I’m sorry, I disagree with Baez if that’s a slight at Joe.

    If it’s not a mandatory workout and you choose not to get yourself ready (knowing you aren’t feeling warmed up until mid game) that’s as much a knock on your character as it would be Joes managing.
    But he never said that it was a knock on Joe, or that they underachieved because of Joe. He stated a fact. It wasn't his opinion.

  11. #6281
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,437
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Do we really know that was the plan all along? Or are we taking the word of the FO now, since this is what they are doing now. I agree that is the plan for 2020, I just do not agree that was ALWAYS the thought, way back in 2015.
    I'm just going by what Theo said. He said that they knew that because of the CBA, they would be in this position to have to get under the cap. He also said that they knew they would have to try to move guys they can't, or don't want to extend. I'm paraphrasing, of course.

  12. #6282
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    189
    http://twitter.com/BleacherNation/st...60030458564614

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  13. #6283
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    4,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    You entirely missed my point. Basically Bryant is saying they haven't even tried to extend him. Trading him without trying to extend him first is a pretty bad look. I get trying to get something for him because of fear of losing him for nothing, but not even trying to keep him first isn't good.
    I still feel he was saying he never got an offer way North of 200 mil and not that he never got an an offer from them.

    I just find it hard to believe that they never tried to make an offer of an extension to him.

    Also wasn't there a report not long ago that he was willing to listen to a long term extension, but the Cubs offers were not anywhere close to what other top third baseman in baseball have recently signed for.

    I'm guessing here but possibly they had offered something like 7/175

  14. #6284
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    55,277
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I can't wait to see the difference with Ross. I think it's going to be extremely noticeable. It may or may not equate to wins, as the talent is still the same, but I think that the overall effort will be better.
    The Chicago Cubs busted their *** the last few seasons. I don't think there's going to be ANY "noticable" difference in effort level. Even Thom and Marty Brennaman, who I find awful, couldn't stop raving about the Cubs efforts the last few years. I think that says enough in and of itself. Two of the most insufferable announcers saw it.

    You can say a ton about Joe if you'd like. I don't think there's any questioning the teams effort.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  15. #6285
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    4,721
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I can't wait to see the difference with Ross. I think it's going to be extremely noticeable. It may or may not equate to wins, as the talent is still the same, but I think that the overall effort will be better.
    I can see it being like Joe first couple seasons where they played hard and all, and they had the respect 90 thing going

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •