Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    He might have a challenger soon
    Taijuan Walker

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...edium=facebook

https://nypost.com/2020/02/10/mlb-pl...lity-tv-twist/

This sounds really stupid. I sure hope they donít go through with this

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    They don't have to trade HIM, but he's definitely the best choice. For a number of reasons. He's a star with 2 years of control, so the return should be pretty good. And they'll get under with ease.

Let's put it this way, as far as how I feel. If he never filed a grievance, I think that he would still be the guy they are looking to trade. From the day he got drafted, I never thought for a second he would sign any kind of extension. Boras has a lot to do with the way I felt/feel. I also believe that there is some animosity between the two. If there was ever a chance to extend him, which I don't think there ever was, it's not even an option any more.
    I agree with all of this. As long as you take out your idea of bad blood playing a role in trading him, I agree. I also feel from the very start he was a guy that was going to test the market. Nothing wrong with that, either. I agree that now is the best time to deal him if they know they are not going to be able to sign him long term or even when his contract is up.

What I do not agree with is they will do so come hell or high water, as you suggested earlier. IMO they would not, nor should not deal him for less than his fair value. They can get below the LT amount without trading him if GM's have really soured on him. And if they really have, maybe he actually will be worth more at the deadline, after a solid first half.

I'll try to find it. They use the previous 2 years. It was mentioned in one sentence that WAR, wRC+ and Statcast is used. Stand by.

I am having a hard time locating the site. It was a Brewers site and it was mentioned in one sentence.
    No worries. But thereís no way they could explain the formula in a meaningful way in 1 sentence. Just my opinion, but Iíd give it zero value.

So MLB wants to add two more playoff teams in each league by 2022. It will have almost half the league making the playoffs. Wow!

2019-20 Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    https://nypost.com/2020/02/10/mlb-pl...lity-tv-twist/

This sounds really stupid. I sure hope they donít go through with this
    I donít like playoff expansion to 7 teams. I do like the best of 3 WC round instead of 1 game and I like the idea of a team picking its opponent. Iíd just keep it at 5 teams, do a best of 3 WC round and then the top seed can choose the WC winner or one of the other division winners.

Too many playoff teams devalues the season. I donít understand how people can watch the nba or nhl regular season. Every mediocre or better team gets into the playoffs, so why care about 82 regular season games?

Short series baseball is also pretty random. If you can build a consistent 85 win playoff team on the cheap will the owners be incentivized to spend over the tax to build a 100 win team? The players need to be careful here.
    Last edited by CP_414; 02-10-2020 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I agree with all of this. As long as you take out your idea of bad blood playing a role in trading him, I agree. I also feel from the very start he was a guy that was going to test the market. Nothing wrong with that, either. I agree that now is the best time to deal him if they know they are not going to be able to sign him long term or even when his contract is up.

What I do not agree with is they will do so come hell or high water, as you suggested earlier. IMO they would not, nor should not deal him for less than his fair value. They can get below the LT amount without trading him if GM's have really soured on him. And if they really have, maybe he actually will be worth more at the deadline, after a solid first half.
    What's fair value? I certainly know. My fair value is only going to be an opinion. These teams have formulas to determine what fair value is.

If the Cubs think that "x" is fair value, and every team they've talked to thinks that "y" is fair value, "y" is more likely to be fair value. No?

I would be so bad if they are competitive and they trade him at the deadline. Even worse would be if they were unable to get under and will have do this again next year. But in 2021 they are going to fall to the mid 180's just by losing contracts. I'd like to see 2021 be a year that they get in the 240 range.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I donít like playoff expansion to 7 teams. I do like the best of 3 WC round instead of 1 game and I like the idea of a team picking its opponent. Iíd just keep it at 5 teams, do a best of 3 WC round and then the top seed can choose the WC winner or one of the other division winners.

Too many playoff teams devalues the season. I donít understand how people can watch the nba or nhl regular season. Every mediocre or better team gets into the playoffs, so why care about 82 regular season games?

Short series baseball is also pretty random. If you can build a consistent 85 win playoff team on the cheap will the owners be incentivized to spend over the tax to build a 100 win team? The players need to be careful here.
    It's pretty different, that's for sure. Picking your opponents could be cool. L/R matchups. Travel distance. Weather. Lots of things to consider.

What's fair value? I certainly know. My fair value is only going to be an opinion. These teams have formulas to determine what fair value is.

If the Cubs think that "x" is fair value, and every team they've talked to thinks that "y" is fair value, "y" is more likely to be fair value. No?

I would be so bad if they are competitive and they trade him at the deadline. Even worse would be if they were unable to get under and will have do this again next year. But in 2021 they are going to fall to the mid 180's just by losing contracts. I'd like to see 2021 be a year that they get in the 240 range.
    Fair value to the Cubs, is exactly that. What they feel is fair value. And if they don't get it and teams are lowballing them like some of the options you have suggested, then they don't trade him. They can get rid of Q and get under. If they really have to get under (which I believe they feel they do) they will. It does not have to be KB, especially if they feel what they are being offered now they can be offered at the deadline. If they truly believe he is more valuable then what other teams are giving them, then they should keep him. And, who knows, maybe they do work out an extension. (doubtful, but maybe). Or maybe they keep him until the end and sign him as a FA. If he is here the whole time, I have to think all things being equal he would give them the chance. Again, that is down the road and unlikely. But if all teams are only giving 60% or 70% of what the Cubs vale KB at, there is no reason to move him. I would be happy with a Betts like deal. But some of your suggestions are not close to that. If that is all there is, which we have no idea, then keep him and ride it out.

2019-20 Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    The guy on the right ďliterallyĒ didnít think about it until that moment? I have called a lot of ******** in my time but this one takes the cake.
    Last edited by JHBulls; 02-10-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    The guy on the right ďliterallyĒ didnít think about it until that moment? I have called a lot of ******** in my time but this one takes the cake.
    I honestly donít know if heís actually lying though.

Itís Kevin Millar so I wouldnít put it past him to actually not think about it

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Fair value to the Cubs, is exactly that. What they feel is fair value. And if they don't get it and teams are lowballing them like some of the options you have suggested, then they don't trade him. They can get rid of Q and get under. If they really have to get under (which I believe they feel they do) they will. It does not have to be KB, especially if they feel what they are being offered now they can be offered at the deadline. If they truly believe he is more valuable then what other teams are giving them, then they should keep him. And, who knows, maybe they do work out an extension. (doubtful, but maybe). Or maybe they keep him until the end and sign him as a FA. If he is here the whole time, I have to think all things being equal he would give them the chance. Again, that is down the road and unlikely. But if all teams are only giving 60% or 70% of what the Cubs vale KB at, there is no reason to move him. I would be happy with a Betts like deal. But some of your suggestions are not close to that. If that is all there is, which we have no idea, then keep him and ride it out.
    We don't evaluate players the same. I'm gonna use my Dodger trade. Stripling, May, Gray/Gonsolin, Hoese. I think that's more than enough. I think the Dodgers would hang up pretty quickly. They can have Q too in this deal.

Honestly, I have no idea what the formula is to determine surplus value. The Cubs could be getting robbed, or it could be the other way around using the formula. That's out of my league.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Chicago Cubs ē Chicago Blackhawks ē Buffalo Bills ē Southern Illinois University Salukis

Naomi Osaka ē Angelique Kerber ē Bianca Andreescu

We don't evaluate players the same. I'm gonna use my Dodger trade. Stripling, May, Gray/Gonsolin, Hoese. I think that's more than enough. I think the Dodgers would hang up pretty quickly. They can have Q too in this deal.

Honestly, I have no idea what the formula is to determine surplus value. The Cubs could be getting robbed, or it could be the other way around using the formula. That's out of my league.
    I didnít think you had May in the first idea you sent. That is the issue with your suggestion. If he is in with Gray that is close. Or him with Gonsolin pull-ups Hoese that is also close. No May, no deal. And not going to LA anyway.