Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 318 of 454 FirstFirst ... 218268308316317318319320328368418 ... LastLast
Results 4,756 to 4,770 of 6799
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Not really fair. It is much easier to be pessimistic and claim you are right at the end of they year. Only 1 team out of 30 wins the WS. So 29 other pessimistic fan bases can claim they were right to be pessimistic while only one fan base can say their optimism proved the pessimist wrong.
    I wasn't even talking about winning the World Series last year, I was talking about the team making the playoffs. I said numerous times last year that I didn't think the Cubs were a playoff team and I got roasted here for it.

The real Pride of the Midwest

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Heyward wasn’t supposed to forget how to hit forever either.

Kimbrell looked done.
    Kimbrel looked washed to me as well.

Guy hasn't been good for over a year and usually when pitchers start entering their mid-30's they usually dont get any better.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Well, first off, this isn't what we were saying in April. It's weird to say that people were saying to "be patient" in April when the Cubs had a record of 14-10 and in May a record of 16-12. The Cubs at the end of May were 30-22. That's on pace for 93 wins. Why anyone in April or May was saying "be patient" would be beyond me. The Cubs fell apart in the second half. Coincidentally, it was when we saw injuries to Bryant, Contreras, Baez and Hamels. So honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about with that. It seems to me you're just using things people were saying in seasons in like 2017 (when the Cubs went to the NLCS) and 2018 (when the Cubs had a pretty good end of the year W-L wise and the Brewers zoomed past them due to a pretty amazing run, which, still did end very disappointing) and trying to project them onto 2019. But that's not what happened, so your characterization makes no sense.

We also "can't see who's right" unless you have access to an alternative universe in which the Cubs entered this offseason and added $20-25m worth of investments while keeping Bryant. The Cubs currently have added almost nothing, and seem poised to ship off Bryant. So I'm not sure how we would see "who's right" when what I have suggested isn't happening to date and clearly won't happen in the next month,
    Ok bud whatever you say

All I know is I was saying from very early on last year that the Cubs did not look like a playoff team to me and I got roasted for it, if you think I'm making that up whatever, its fine.
    Last edited by Cubs420; 01-29-2020 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs420 View Post
    Kimbrel looked washed to me as well.

Guy hasn't been good for over a year and usually when pitchers start entering their mid-30's they usually dont get any better.
    Did Darvish “look washed” in 2018 and early 2019?

Kimbrel is 31 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Yeah I'm not saying I expect Godly 3 fWAR peak Kimbrel. But 1/3 of that production feels appropriate. I don't think that's "kool-aid guzzling"

And for this bullpen not to be below average you almost need godly Kimbrel IMO.

Ok bud whatever you say

All I know is I was saying from very early on last year that the Cubs did not look like a playoff team to me and I got roasted for it, if you think I'm making that up whatever, its fine.
    I remember people freaking out when they started 2-7 early on.

And for this bullpen not to be below average you almost need godly Kimbrel IMO.
    I've described my expectation for the bullpen as "shaky" and "a weakness." As in, below average. Idk what crack pipe Thawv is smoking that makes him believe the bullpen will be an advantage this year, probably the same one that makes him think Happ is a 4 WAR player, but that is not my belief.

I don't think it will be such a weakness that they aren't players to win the division as the Cubs, Cardinals, Reds, and Brewers are currently constructed. I think had they spent to even a 230-240 million dollar payroll, they could've made themselves the favorites without too much difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Did Darvish “look washed” in 2018 and early 2019?

Kimbrel is 31 years old.
    Again, you guys want to put faith into Kimbrel go ahead,that's fine by me, and I hope you're right but I'm not going to do it.

When a pitcher who is over 30 has been bad for over a year that's usually not a good sign... plus I haven't even talked about the injury concerns. Kimbrel has a lot of miles on that arm and had what? 2 DL stints in two months last year?

Sorry but I don't think the arrows pointing up.

Again, you guys want to put faith into Kimbrel go ahead,that's fine by me, and I hope you're right but I'm not going to do it.

When a pitcher who is over 30 has been bad for over a year that's usually not a good sign... plus I haven't even talked about the injury concerns. Kimbrel has a lot of miles on that arm and had what? 2 DL stints in two months last year?

I didn’t say anything about faith or which way the arrow is pointing. I asked if you thought the same about Yu. Did you? Darvish also carried a freakishly high HR/FB especially early last year.

With the age, I simply stated his age. You said he’s moving into his mid 30s. He’s 31.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not blind faith, it's the belief in a pitcher that has an otherwise great track record save for one half of a season where he had a 36% HR/FB rate to still be a productive player at age 31.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    Rogers says he is hearing privately Braves aren’t out on Bryant.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Roger's covering all the bases..lol

I've never been so excited to hear the end of a grievance.

Quote Originally Posted by s2obed View Post
    Rogers just said the Rockies and Cubs have discussed a Bryant for Arenado deal
    and that Arenado would love to waive his clause to play in Chicago. That would be insane.
    I think the cubs will try one last time with offering Bryant an extension and if he turns it down, then theyll trade him..

I could see the Rockies trade working for both teams, Cubs get a great player that 28 yo and locked up for next 7 years, Rockies free themselves of that money and will have 2 years of a great player

I wasn't even talking about winning the World Series last year, I was talking about the team making the playoffs. I said numerous times last year that I didn't think the Cubs were a playoff team and I got roasted here for it.
    Let's pretend I wake up and throughout the day, I have this "feeling" that today is going to be a bad day. Everything's going great. I have a good day at work. Everyone is nice to me. And then, suddenly, there's an earthquake and my house is destroyed. Did I accurately predict an earthquake because I thought, I was going to have a bad day? I'd argue I hadn't, and just because I made a prediction, it was pretty baseless.

Anyone arguing last year prior to July that the Cubs weren't a playoff team wasn't really basing it on anything. The Cubs weren't playing out of their minds. They weren't getting weird contributions from players. They had the 2nd best RD/record in the NL. By June 30th, they had the 3rd best record and still the 2nd best RD in the NL. They were tied for 1st in the division with a team well out playing their RD. The Cardinals were a .500 team who had a negative RD and was about to fire their coach. The Nationals were only a game up on .500, had the t-5th best RD in the NL and were in 3rd. I don't think on June 30th you could have accurately predicted that Hamels would go from our most reliable to our worst SP, Contreras would miss a month, Baez would break his thumb and miss the stretch run, that Strop would never come back, that Cisek would become bad...generally speaking the Cubs had some really bad things happen to them. When you're a team who's already working with some flawed premises (2b was not good even at this point, CF was bad and getting worse) you can't sustain a lot of hits.

I think for most of last year it would have been just fine to explain where the flaws the Cubs had last year. But I think claiming for large chunks of the year that you "didn't think the Cubs were a playoff team" was largely baseless. Much like my prediction that I'd have a bad day coming true, unless you were claiming you knew Baez would break his thumb in September...it's more of a situation where a bad prediction came true simply because it was a possibility. Not because it was a probability. Or because you knew why they wouldn't. For example, I don't think the Cubs missed the playoffs because "they had an inconsistent offense" as so many argued. I think it was due to the sustained injuries. By the end of the year the offense wasn't inconsistent. It was just swiss cheese and hurt.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-29-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I think the cubs will try one last time with offering Bryant an extension and if he turns it down, then theyll trade him..

I could see the Rockies trade working for both teams, Cubs get a great player that 28 yo and locked up for next 7 years, Rockies free themselves of that money and will have 2 years of a great player

That is my belief as well. Except I think once the Cubs have a confirmed deal in place they will go to Kris and see if they can work out an extension. They will tell him if he wants to stay a Cub for life, now is the time they have to work it out. And if he doesn't want to, they will trade him.

As for a Rockies/Cubs deal with Bryant and Arenado as centerpieces, I guess if the Rockies really only want prospects the deal can be a 3 team sort of deal. That just gets very complicated. But I can see the Cubs getting Arenado, the Braves getting Bryant and the Rockies getting prospects. Obviously other higher priced contracts would have to go from the Cubs to the Rockies as well.