Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 132 of 454 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182232 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 6799
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I know. Brutal.
    So, if they are hard-capped at 208, would you rather keep Bryant and understand you're dumping someone/ moving money and running out what we have, or do you pull the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Oof. Sahadev Sharma posted an article on The Athletic and said the Cubs were interested in reliever Alex Claudio after he was non-tendered by the Brewers but told him they had to clear salary to sign him. He then re-signed with the Brewers for less than $2 mil.

Sharma also mentions that the team currently canít even afford to sign Cesar Hernandez (recently non tendered by PHI) and listed Joe Panik in their affordable list of ďminor leagueĒ deals for players.
    So basically if a player looking for anything more then a minor league deal now, they need to wait til most likely January when theyll probably get to move Bryant, etc., and with most players not wanting to wait and prefer getting deals done before the Holidays, the cubs will lose out on most of the better players then because of that and players not wanting to risk losing out on another offer if for whatever reason the deal dont happen with the cubs..

Unless of course such player is passionate about playing for the cubs and are willing to wait, which a very little part of me is wondering if that possible with Castellanos..
    Only because youd think he would of signed with someone by now

Croce is still in my basement for anyone that might care.

Quote Originally Posted by jfoley89 View Post
    So, if they are hard-capped at 208, would you rather keep Bryant and understand you're dumping someone/ moving money and running out what we have, or do you pull the trigger?
    I feel like Iíd need more info to make that decision.

What does the 2021 payroll look like? What does KB need to extend? What does Javy need to extend? What are the trade offers for KB, Javy, Willson, etc.

Generally speaking, I believe these things:
    - If they can blow by the tax again in 21 they can win in 21. In that case you make whatever move does the least damage (trade Q, maybe Contreras, maybe Schwarber, of course any of the salary dump guys can go) to get under the tax and try to win again in 21. If there is zero chance of an extension with Bryant then you might want to trade him. But only if you get fair value, he wonít extend, and you know you realistically arenít going to win this year.

- Iíd rather extend KB than Javy if both extensions are around the range Iíd expect (8/230ish for KB; 7/135ish for Javy). If the ranges are different, the answers are different.

- If the payroll cannot blow by the tax in 21, I think sadly the best path to building the next Cubs WS team is by lighting this team on fire. Trade everyone, get the #1 farm system in mlb by March or at least by August 1st, with as many mlb ready prospects as possible. Give Mookie a blank check next winter, spend really huge in 21/22 after the new CBA is done, and try to win again by 2022.

I prefer an option where they spend more in 2020 to try to win with this core, but it really seems like that is off the table.

Thatís pretty much where I am.

I'd rather lose/trade Willy and hope that a year or two from there are funds to lock Bryant up. Give the starts to Vic, sign a veteran backstop with Amaya waiting in the wings.

but we're talking a projected $14m difference in salary between Willy and KB for 2020 so I guess that's why they are more likely to trade KB. Horseshit if you ask me.

The only way I'm trading Bryant is if it's 100% no on the extension, but it sounds like he's open to it.
    Last edited by s2obed; 12-20-2019 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by s2obed View Post
    The only way I'm trading Bryant is if it's 100% no on the extension, but it sounds like he's open to it.
    I might be forgetting somebody but the only player under Boras Umbrella that ever signed an extension was Strasburg and even then there was an opt-out in the contract. So unless Bryant does not like his chances in that FA class (and boy just the SS in the FA class alone is WOW) and wants to avoid, I don't see Bryant signing an extension.

FA in 2022 notables: Baez/Lindor/Story/Seager/Carlos Correa and that is just the SS.

Other names include: Freeman, Rizzo, Mad Max, Verlander, Conforto, Thor, Hand, Archie Bradley, Raisel Iglesias,
    Folty-Atl, and Arenado if he opts out of his deal. So yeah.

Obvious not all will make it to FA but that FA class will be fun and interesting to see unfold.
    Screw sabermetics.

Why are the Cubs trying to clone Daniel Decalso? Joe Panik, really? Rather see Robel Garcia.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Leave his *** there. Youíre doing the world a favor.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    I might be forgetting somebody but the only player under Boras Umbrella that ever signed an extension was Strasburg and even then there was an opt-out in the contract. So unless Bryant does not like his chances in that FA class (and boy just the SS in the FA class alone is WOW) and wants to avoid, I don't see Bryant signing an extension.

FA in 2022 notables: Baez/Lindor/Story/Seager/Carlos Correa and that is just the SS.

Other names include: Freeman, Rizzo, Mad Max, Verlander, Conforto, Thor, Hand, Archie Bradley, Raisel Iglesias,
    Folty-Atl, and Arenado if he opts out of his deal. So yeah.

Obvious not all will make it to FA but that FA class will be fun and interesting to see unfold.
    I think Altuve and Bogaerts are Boras guys, but yes most of his guys get to free agency.

I think Altuve and Bogaerts are Boras guys, but yes most of his guys get to free agency.
    You are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    You are correct.
    Bogaerts deal was very team friendly, too. I think if the Cubs give KB a contract that he wants to sign, Boras wonít stand in his way.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Who is in your basement?

Bogaerts deal was very team friendly, too. I think if the Cubs give KB a contract that he wants to sign, Boras wonít stand in his way.
    From Bryant's perspective, I'm not sure he doesn't want to wait until the new CBA. Several NBA guys did similarly because top players may be able to get significantly more. He's been very active protecting the union and future players, and may continue to do so. He also may want to guarantee his future coming off 2 down years.

I think cookies are yummy

From Bryant's perspective, I'm not sure he doesn't want to wait until the new CBA. Several NBA guys did similarly because top players may be able to get significantly more. He's been very active protecting the union and future players, and may continue to do so. He also may want to guarantee his future coming off 2 down years.
    Yeah, we really donít know what heís asking for or what theyíve offered, if anything. Iím guessing if they put something in front of him that most people consider fair based on Arenado/Rendon and that factors in heís 2 years away and has had some injury issues, heíd probably sign it. But thatís just a guess. Iím 90% sure heís getting traded anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    I think cookies are yummy
    For sure.