Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 131 of 454 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 6799
    I have a hard time rationalizing Fried over Wright + Anderson.

Fried looks like a good not great pitcher at the MLB level with a pretty sizable sample over the past three seasons now. He comes with 5 seasons of control.

Both those other two guys have top end potential (as Fried did), both those other guys will be in the majors in 2020, and it's perfectly reasonable to expect at least one out of the two of them to reach, at least, the level that Fried has so far. Collectively, they come with 13 seasons of control. There's also the chance they could both pop.

No brainer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    What’s NSBB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Another active Cubs board.

Any of you guys who hate that I post here, it’s nsbb’s fault. I used to lurk there for many years. People kept posting about what Marlin at PSD was saying so I started lurking here. Then a ton of people here got banned and the conversation was slower so I figured I’d start contributing. Sorry.

2019-20 Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

Oof. Sahadev Sharma posted an article on The Athletic and said the Cubs were interested in reliever Alex Claudio after he was non-tendered by the Brewers but told him they had to clear salary to sign him. He then re-signed with the Brewers for less than $2 mil.

Sharma also mentions that the team currently can’t even afford to sign Cesar Hernandez (recently non tendered by PHI) and listed Joe Panik in their affordable list of “minor league” deals for players.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    I have a hard time rationalizing Fried over Wright + Anderson.

Fried looks like a good not great pitcher at the MLB level with a pretty sizable sample over the past three seasons now. He comes with 5 seasons of control.

Both those other two guys have top end potential (as Fried did), both those other guys will be in the majors in 2020, and it's perfectly reasonable to expect at least one out of the two of them to reach, at least, the level that Fried has so far. Collectively, they come with 13 seasons of control. There's also the chance they could both pop.

No brainer for me.
    Fried doesn’t have a sizable sample at the big league level though. 2019 was the first time he received some sort of meaningful innings total and he was pretty good. He is only 25 still. No reason to believe he can’t get better.

While Anderson and Wright do have top of rotation potencial Wright posted both ab ERA and FIP over 4 at AAA. Anderson is just starting his AAA stint.

When you consider that they would have KB for just two years I could definitely see an argument for Fried as the better option . Like I said to CP could see an argument for both sides . It just depends on how you are looking at this short term while you control KB or long term ?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

El Mago

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Oof. Sahadev Sharma posted an article on The Athletic and said the Cubs were interested in reliever Alex Claudio after he was non-tendered by the Brewers but told him they had to clear salary to sign him. He then re-signed with the Brewers for less than $2 mil.

Sharma also mentions that the team currently can’t even afford to sign Cesar Hernandez (recently non tendered by PHI) and listed Joe Panik in their affordable list of “minor league” deals for players.
    [emoji23]

El Mago

My god.

From that article...
    This two-year non-spending trend has become a bit embarrassing for such a big-market team. It’s one thing for the Cubs to not throw their financial weight around during the winter. But to miss out on complementary pieces because the budget is so tight that upgrading the team requires trading players who make significant money? It’s not only laughable, it’s unacceptable.

With that in mind, I think this is a good thread (click for the whole thing). I don’t agree with every word of it, but the general point is fair.

https://twitter.com/theblogfines/sta...192453120?s=21
    Last edited by CP_414; 12-20-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    You can definitely make a case for either option.

I think the Twins still aren’t talked about enough as a trade partner. They’ve apparently offered Donaldson 4 years. If they can go 4 years on Donaldson, you’d think KBs money wouldn’t be an obstacle for them. They have good prospect arms like Graterol and Balazovic and good prospect bats like Kirilloff, Larnach, and Lewis. Arraez is exactly the type of hitter the Cubs are trying to find. Lots of potential twins packages make sense.
    Agreed about the Twins. I think there is a fair chance they get involved with KB if they miss out on Donaldson .

El Mago

I'm not sure how anybody needs any more proof that the main goal is to cut salary. Trying to trade a few great players to possibly up the odds in a year or two is one thing. I disagree with it but whatever. When you can't even upgrade your bullpen or bench with cheap bargain basement deals because all you care about is getting under the lowest luxury line at all costs it's pretty fair to be upset with ownership. I'm gonna be even more pissed when the cubs trade Bryant for scraps because every team in the league knows they are desperate to cut salary.

I'm ready for the grievance to resolve. It's ridiculous this has taken this long. I'm tired of debating hypotheticals, and would rather discuss any actual moves

The sad part is that the Cubs are in this predicament of needing to trade Bryant and/or Contreras because of their own free spending. Heyward, Chatwood and Kimbrel will be making $50M+ in 2020 and you would be hard pressed to find a bigger waste of $50M on any roster in baseball. As much as all 3 might contribute in 2020, their signings have played a part of seeing Kris Bryant traded.

What's baffling to me is if you like Alex Claudio why in the name of God can't you give him his 2 million right now (before, idk, the ****ing Brewers do) and if you're really, truly as strapped as you claim to be you can surely find somewhere to unload TWO MIL when push comes to shove months from now. That makes zero sense to me.

What's baffling to me is if you like Alex Claudio why in the name of God can't you give him his 2 million right now (before, idk, the ****ing Brewers do) and if you're really, truly as strapped as you claim to be you can surely find somewhere to unload TWO MIL when push comes to shove months from now. That makes zero sense to me.
    Here’s what Sharma said to basically that same question:

https://twitter.com/sahadevsharma/st...148255745?s=21

The only thing I’d add is that it doesn’t seem like they can spend a dollar for every dollar they drop. They are around 214 now and it seems like they are heading for under the tax at 208. So if you give Claudio 2 mil now you absolutely have to drop 8 mil to get under 208. As it is they probably need to cut at least 6 mil (if not more) before they get to the point of adding a dollar for every subtracted dollar.

But we’ll dominate the minor league free agent market.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Here’s what Sharma said to basically that same question:

https://twitter.com/sahadevsharma/st...148255745?s=21

The only thing I’d add is that it doesn’t seem like they can spend a dollar for every dollar they drop. They are around 214 now and it seems like they are heading for under the tax at 208. So if you give Claudio 2 mil now you absolutely have to drop 8 mil to get under 208 instead of 6 mil. As it is they probably need to cut at least 6 mil (if not more) before they get to the point of adding a dollar for every subtracted dollar.
    Woof.

Woof.
    I know. Brutal.