Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 443 of 454 FirstFirst ... 343393433441442443444445453 ... LastLast
Results 6,631 to 6,645 of 6799
  1. #6631
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,935
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    He's not ready now. He has 19 IP above A ball. He could be ready sometime in 2020, however. I'd say more July-August. He wouldn't be a bad get if that was the get. 45 FV seems about right for Quintana. I think he's at best a MORP, more like a BORP. Some above average pitches, nothing overly impressive though.
    Didn't realize he was that young and not ready. He would be a nice get, but not a guy for the rotation this year. If/when they deal Q, IMO, they have to get another starter. Maybe in a different deal. I am fine with that.

  2. #6632
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    The offense was complete garbage in the 2nd half of 2018. In the 2nd half they had 285 RS vs 283 RA.

    From Theo: https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...est-assessment
    49-32 in the second half with that garbage offense. WOW, Maddon must have done an amazing job getting to win that many games. Seems crazy to blast him since they really were not that good and played at near a 100 win pace. How is that possible with all those lazy, unmotivated, ill prepared players.

  3. #6633
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    44,615
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    So they didn't choke?
    2018, no. The Brewers just became invincible. The Cubs still played at an extremely high level.

    Last year they did though. That 2 week losing stretch to close the season was absolutely abysmal.

  4. #6634
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    27,042
    The Cubs winning 95 games (more than the Dodgers) in 2018 in spite of injured KB, useless Darvish, Tyler Chatwood making 20 starts, & Pedro Strop as the closer most of the year is a damn glowing achievement.

  5. #6635
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    587
    I know that we didn't sign anyone of significance all off-season, but I wonder what would happen if we have a 3-4 game lead toward the trade deadline. I would expect that we would add and then try to get under the tax next year. Ricketts said they will not go over 3 straight years and basically said ideally they wouldn't go over 2 straight, but he didn't entirely rule it out.

    I just feel like if they were dead set on going under, they would have traded Q and probably picked up Graveman's option. Or not picked up either at all.

  6. #6636
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,109
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Just want to make one correction. In 18' the team was solid throughout. September did not cost them 100 games. In fact this narrative that the Cubs choked (and this is not directed to you, because you never said it) is complete BS. The Brewers won their last 8 games, so the Cubs winning 5 of 8, which is very good, got caught with a 3 game lead. 95 wins in 18 was an amazing year all things considered. And they did not choke.
    Agreed.

  7. #6637
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,935
    Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    The Cubs winning 95 games (more than the Dodgers) in 2018 in spite of injured KB, useless Darvish, Tyler Chatwood making 20 starts, & Pedro Strop as the closer most of the year is a damn glowing achievement.
    Exactly. Instead of criticizing Maddon for that year he should be praised.

  8. #6638
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,935
    Quote Originally Posted by BearDown1223 View Post
    I know that we didn't sign anyone of significance all off-season, but I wonder what would happen if we have a 3-4 game lead toward the trade deadline. I would expect that we would add and then try to get under the tax next year. Ricketts said they will not go over 3 straight years and basically said ideally they wouldn't go over 2 straight, but he didn't entirely rule it out.

    I just feel like if they were dead set on going under, they would have traded Q and probably picked up Graveman's option. Or not picked up either at all.
    I think they can trade Q if they want. And that is why they picked up his option. I also think they thought KB would be gone. I have no problem with them picking up Q. Maybe they even get a prospect for him in a trade. Not going to be a stud, but maybe an interesting guy. Hell, Kemp brought back an interesting guy and with all his Astros baggage, it is amazing they were even able to deal him.

  9. #6639
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,438
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    He's not ready now. He has 19 IP above A ball. He could be ready sometime in 2020, however. I'd say more July-August. He wouldn't be a bad get if that was the get. 45 FV seems about right for Quintana. I think he's at best a MORP, more like a BORP. Some above average pitches, nothing overly impressive though.
    Exactly my thoughts

  10. #6640
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    So i'm a troll because you happen to disagree with my opinion? Give me a break.

    Baez is an amazing talent, the most talented player to put on a Cubs uniform in decades. That doesn't mean he has always had the right attitude. He's become complacent. Unacceptable. When Baez and Contreras won the vote to start thew all-star team in 2019 I cringed...just more reason to feed their egos.



    When your lack of preparation is affecting the team, when you're hitting in a tunnel inside and not on the field, and when you say others have done it too...then no you don't get leeway. Stop defending the losing attitude this team has made a habit of the last 2 years.

    You could be Willie Mays but if you're loafing it you better improve or GTFO this team now. And if you're a manager you better put a stop to it or GTFO. Theo knows what went down, he did exit interviews with players, he was there in the clubhouse and on the field before games. If Theo didn't acknowledge it I'd be calling for his head too. Whether you admit it or not is irrelevant, all I care about is whether Theo and Jed know it, and they do, and they hired a manager who in his own words will make these players accountable. This team got soft and you know it. And seeing it happen with my own eyes made me furious, seeing them choke 2 years in a row in disastrous fashion and the manager doing nothing about it made me furious, and it should make every Cubs fan really PO'd. You should be PO'd right along side me.

    Players loafing it, Addison Russell hitting his wife and then moping around after he lost his SS job...who are these little spoiled infants? Maybe this is the year these entitled little children grow up, learn some discipline, responsibility, and accountability. Yes, I hate much of what this team has become, a bunch of entitled sloppy choking losers. But i'm hopeful Ross will fix all of that.
    I said youíre ďactingĒ like a troll. I donít actually think you are a troll, although sometimes you come off as one. The way you so easily run Joe Maddonís name through the dirt is embarrassing for all Cubs fans. Ok... you disagree with the way he ran things... fine... but calling him garbage and whatever else you said is absolutely ridiculous. Youíve taken this Baez thing and absolutely run with it to the extreme. I wonít go into the numbers that back this up because 1908 clearly stated them under your reply to me. I donít know if you canít process the results or what, but Baez was a 5.3 win player in 2018 on a team that won 95 (!) games. That doesnít scream garbage manager of a spoiled infant team. If you hate everybody on this team so much then root for the Yankees or Dodgers. You wanna b***h about Russel, well that was out of Joeís control. He doesnít decide the roster. Shi**y people are everywhere, and Russell isnít a reflection of who this team really is. Itís unfortunate he was ever a Cub, but donít even bring him into this conversation when the whole argument is about how much you hate Joe Maddon. And donít even say how grateful you are that he brought us a WS, your comments have proved that that doesnít mean jack to you.

    I am pissed about what happened in 2019, but Joe didnít cause Contreras, Baez, Rizzo, Bryant, Kintzler, Kimbrel, Strop and 4 starting pitchers to get hurt at different times. Itís unfortunate but itís not Joeís fault. But Iím done with this. Iím sick of defending Joe and heís moved on and we should too. Support him or donít I really donít care. I am excited about Ross and I just want to win.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #6641
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    4,923
    It's interesting that the best season of Baez career came during this time he was supposedly loafing because of his awful manager.

  12. #6642
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    A city in the United States.
    Posts
    4,741
    I love the fact that Ross wants Bryant/Rizzo 1-2. The instant threat of runs is a beautiful thing. I also love that Ross wants a stable lineup. I much prefer that to Maddon's "musical chairs" line ups. Maddon's think worked when the players were very early in their careers but seeing as players are 4-6 years deep into the career, they need more stabilization. I think the line up will be more consistent this year. (x fingers.)

    I bring this up because Harold Reynolds was incredulous on "Hot Stove" about Bryant becoming a lead off hitter. The crux of his argument against KB being a lead off hitter is that he does not steal bases. LOL
    Screw sabermetics.

  13. #6643
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    49-32 in the second half with that garbage offense. WOW, Maddon must have done an amazing job getting to win that many games. Seems crazy to blast him since they really were not that good and played at near a 100 win pace. How is that possible with all those lazy, unmotivated, ill prepared players.
    Ask Contreras. He's the one who said he slacked off in 2018. He confirmed he got complacent, which helped lead to his HORRENDOUS 2nd half of 2018. He had a .585 OPS in the 2nd half, batted .200:

    https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...l-mvp-all-star

    Many have wondered if Contreras simply wore down physically because he was playing too much and didn't get enough rest. He caught more innings than anybody in baseball last year.

    But he insists that wasn't the issue and didn't have any injuries last year that contributed to his downturn.

    Contreras believes he simply got complacent.

    "Everything is easy when you're going well, when you're not thinking too much and hitting homers and doubles with guys in scoring position," he said. "I was too comfortable last year, to be honest. It kills me ó I was like way too comfortable. I talked to my family and my wife about this.

    "I didn't do my best on my routine because the season before, I hit 21 homers and I told myself, 'OK, if you hit 21 homers one year, you can do it again next year.' But it doesn't work like that.

    "This game taught me that you have to keep working hard like you did the last year and don't get too comfortable because you're gonna fail and fail and fail. We learn and we move on."

  14. #6644
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Hey look, you've yet again conflated "prep" and "effort". They're not the same. For the last time. And look, that same Kaplan garbage.

    That evidence has been routinely discounted. This miscues literally, by statistics. And you're right, Contreras looked at one ball off the wall. How about all of the hustle doubles by Javier Baez the last two years? Why is one article on one play by Contreras some sort of hideous showing of "lazy" but this double from Baez, just three weeks later - it's a link-click it- doesn't show that the team played hard?

    It's the laziest narrative on the planet.
    Willson said himself that he got complacent and didn't put in the work in 2018 that he did the year before. He said this explains why he had a horrible 2nd half of 2018. Confirmed by his words, his stats, and the flyball he didn't run out in mid-Sept 2018. Stop defending underachivement.

    https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...l-mvp-all-star

    https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/wil...n-reaction-mlb

    So what happened?

    The energetic 26-year-old catcher was brutally honest in talking about his game in a sitdown interview with NBC Sports Chicago's Kelly Crull early in spring training.

    Contreras admitted he slacked off on his pregame routine as the year went on.

    "I used to get to the ballpark, like I did in 2017, and I'd usually get on the elliptical or bike or stretch or lift," Contreras said. "To be honest, I didn't lift at all [as 2018 went on]. I came out of my routine completely. I didn't deserve to have a good year last year. That's what I told myself. I've learned from it, I took it as inspiration and now I'm here."
    Last edited by Stratos; 02-20-2020 at 08:48 PM.

  15. #6645
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    22,725

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •