Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 442 of 454 FirstFirst ... 342392432440441442443444452 ... LastLast
Results 6,616 to 6,630 of 6799
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
    If the Yankees are missing pitchers due to suspensions/injuries, it's helping the Yankees. If they trade Q then as you said they better get something young, good and cheap in return.
    I can't fathom caring about whether any move helps the Yankees TBH. They're in the AL, most importantly. They're already heavy favorites to win their division and probably the pennant as well. It's not like you're giving a piece to get them over the hump.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    I don't post my opinions to get a rise out of others, I post my opinions for the same reason you post your opinions. If you disagree with my opinions either refute them or ignore them. But i won't be censored. I'm PO'd about what happened the last 2 years, and I have every reason to be, this team has been pathetic.Maddon's moves during the WS are a minor point. Even his bullpen moves in general are a lesser gripe, managers make moves people complain about all the time. I don't think they were a major problem for this team. I think the attitude and preparation of this team was the major problem, I think Maddon's lack of leadership was the major problem. He worked for this team in 2015-2016, he wasn't the right guy for this team post-WS. He let our guys get soft, he let the WS go to some of the player's heads.

Anyways, I'm hopeful Rossy will lead this team in the right direction, he's just what we need.
    Yep, pathetic. That 95 win season where they tied for the best record in the NL was PATHETIC!

Total nonsense!

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I don't think trading Q is about helping the Yankees. It is about getting under the LT. But if they are going to do aas 1908 suggests, and just put Mills in the rotation, I agree they will not be winning a division. If they trade Q, which I am fine with, they then have to make another deal, IMO, to get a younger cheaper starter to fill in that #4 spot with MOR potential. If they have to give up someone in the minors for that guy, I am fine with that. I think this team can win in 20' so go get that pitcher.
    I'd take Schmidt from NY. He's probably ready right now to step in to a BOTR spot with a shot at being a 3. He's 24 years old and throws 4 average to above average pitches.

Conversely, they may want to use him themselves with their situation.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    I can't fathom caring about whether any move helps the Yankees TBH. They're in the AL, most importantly. They're already heavy favorites to win their division and probably the pennant as well. It's not like you're giving a piece to get them over the hump.
    I agree. Cubs should go to the Angels and the Yankees and see who gives then the best deal. But then they need to make another deal for a cheaper starter to take the 4th spot. Sorry, but I am not buying a rotation with the last 2 spots being filled by Mills, Chatwood, Alzolay or as some will have you think Abbott. In fact for me Abbott would be the trade bait I would be offering for a starter. I want to compete in 20' not experiment with the back end of the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I'd take Schmidt from NY. He's probably ready right now to step in to a BOTR spot with a shot at being a 3. He's 24 years old and throws 4 average to above average pitches.

He would be ok. But I thought I saw he was a top 100 prospect. I do not think Q brings that value back. Q+ might if we add a young prospect, not at Schmidt's level.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Please show me proof of "players loafing it". You just can't keep saying it like it's true.
    I've already provided links of video footage showing Baez and Contreras not running out balls that bounced off the outfield wall in 2018 and 2019.

I've already provided links of Contreras saying he got lazy in 2018. We've seen Baez say he didn't warm up properly in 2019 and said others did the same. Here they are again:

Go to 0:45 seconds: https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/vi...d-cubs-miscues

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/wil...n-reaction-mlb

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...l-mvp-all-star

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...tart-last-year

And oh look, Maddon says he didn't notice any preparation issues in 2019! Good job Joe!

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2020/02/19/joe-maddon-did-not-recognize-any-preparation-issues-with-the-cubs-last-year/

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post

He's not ready now. He has 19 IP above A ball. He could be ready sometime in 2020, however. I'd say more July-August. He wouldn't be a bad get if that was the get. 45 FV seems about right for Quintana. I think he's at best a MORP, more like a BORP. Some above average pitches, nothing overly impressive though.

Yep, pathetic. That 95 win season where they tied for the best record in the NL was PATHETIC!

Total nonsense!
    They completely choked in the 2nd half of 2018, lost the division lead, lost the division playoff game, then lost the wild card. Smashing success! Please keep defending them.

I've already provided links of video footage showing Baez and Contreras not running out balls that bounced off the outfield wall in 2018 and 2019.

I've already provided links of Contreras saying he got lazy in 2018. We've seen Baez say he didn't warm up properly in 2019 and said others did the same. Here they are again:

Go to 0:45 seconds: https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/vi...d-cubs-miscues

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/wil...n-reaction-mlb

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...l-mvp-all-star

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...tart-last-year

And oh look, Maddon says he didn't notice any preparation issues in 2019! Good job Joe!

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2020/02/19/joe-maddon-did-not-recognize-any-preparation-issues-with-the-cubs-last-year/
    Hey look, you've yet again conflated "prep" and "effort". They're not the same. For the last time. And look, that same Kaplan garbage.

That evidence has been routinely discounted. This miscues literally, by statistics. And you're right, Contreras looked at one ball off the wall. How about all of the hustle doubles by Javier Baez the last two years? Why is one article on one play by Contreras some sort of hideous showing of "lazy" but this double from Baez, just three weeks later - it's a link-click it- doesn't show that the team played hard?

It's the laziest narrative on the planet.

They completely choked in the 2nd half of 2018, lost the division lead, lost the division playoff game, then lost the wild card. Smashing success! Please keep defending them.
    Already addressed this in a previous post. Again, it's a lazy narrative and looks at nothing of the nuance of the end of the year.

He would be ok. But I thought I saw he was a top 100 prospect. I do not think Q brings that value back. Q+ might if we add a young prospect, not at Schmidt's level.
    I didn't see that. MLB.com did not have him on the 2019 list. I'm just assuming that since he's not getting any younger, he didn't move up. He was their organizational 6th at the end of the year.

They lost 2 games and got knocked out of the playoffs. That is not completely choking. To suggest that was a pathetic year is ridiculous. It was a bad couple of games that ended the season. They did not choke the 2nd half. That is just more nonsense by you. hey were 46-35 at the half way point won 49 games of the last 81. 10 of the last 16, 5 of the last 8. Do we see a pattern here? Basically a 100 win pace. When you suggest that is pathetic of that is choking is when you lose all credibility. They just lost a couple games at the end of the year. That is not choking, it is losing.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Already addressed this in a previous post. Again, it's a lazy narrative and looks at nothing of the nuance of the end of the year.
    So they didn't choke?

They lost 2 games and got knocked out of the playoffs. That is not completely choking. To suggest that was a pathetic year is ridiculous. It was a bad couple of games that ended the season. They did not choke the 2nd half. That is just more nonsense by you. hey were 46-35 at the half way point won 49 games of the last 81. 10 of the last 16, 5 of the last 8. Do we see a pattern here? Basically a 100 win pace. When you suggest that is pathetic of that is choking is when you lose all credibility. They just lost a couple games at the end of the year. That is not choking, it is losing.
    The offense was complete garbage in the 2nd half of 2018. In the 2nd half they had 285 RS vs 283 RA.

From Theo: https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...est-assessment

"Our offense broke somewhere along the lines."

"Of course there's going to be a thorough examination," Epstein said. "Of course we're going to spend all our energy into fixing it and fix it. If you look back at the first half of the season, we led the league in runs scored. We led the league in OPS. We led the league in virtually every significant offensive category. We were cruising. We felt really good offensively.

"We had cut way down on our strikeouts. We had sacrificed some power, but not all. We were getting on base at a huge clip and scoring a ton of runs and we felt good about our offensive roster 1-through-13, really. Every player.

"Then, in the second half, things were dramatically different, sort of culminating in what happened down the stretch and these last couple weeks."

Epstein cited the Cubs' record in games in which they scored at least 2 runs in the second half (37-13).

After the All-Star Break, the Cubs ranked 24th in baseball in home runs, 23rd in OPS and 27th in slugging percentage.

From Sept. 1 on, they ranked 25th in OPS (.663) and 27th in SLG (.363). Only two other teams - the Giants and Marlins, who were both well out of the race by Labor Day - hit fewer homers than the Cubs' 22 in September/October.

"We hit more groundballs in the second half than any other team by a huge margin," Epstein said. "Our goal is to hit line drives and fly balls out of the ballpark - but hit line drives.
    2 years in a row we imploded in the 2nd half. Unacceptable.
    Last edited by Stratos; 02-20-2020 at 05:17 PM.