Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 441 of 454 FirstFirst ... 341391431439440441442443451 ... LastLast
Results 6,601 to 6,615 of 6799
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Trashing Madden is dumb.

If youíre trashing Maddon, I canít take you seriously.

Itís not easy to win WS rings, expecting it year after year and blaming the manager for coming up short is dumb. Best manager Chicago has ever had, no discussion.
    Kudos to Maddon for helping us get a ring. But what worked in 2016 (laid back do-whatever-you-want approach) became a disaster in the following seasons. Not only do I blame the manager, Theo does too. That's the only significant change we made all offseason. Our manager had become a cancer who was rotting this team, and we just cut the cancer out.

His leadership (or specifically lack of) had become a problem and everything Theo, Jed, and players keep saying continues to support this position. If you give Maddon credit for 2016, which I do, then we have to also give him a large part of the blame for our underachieving the last few years. I didn't think this team could do worse than 2018, and yet it did. Stop making excuses for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Also, I think you are a little higher on the Reds then I am. And lower on the Cubs. I see the Reds around 85-86 wins. IMO the Cubs can get there.
    Agree on the Reds. I'm definitely in wait and see mode. It looks somewhat good on paper but that team as a whole has been a sub .500 team for many years. They will be favorites now and previously playing with no expectations every year is going to be a lot different for them this year. let's see how they handle it.

I get it. We have gone round and round, and honestly we are not far off. While you see the Reds at 88 to 90 and the Cubs at 82 or so wins, I have them much closer. Maybe both around 85 to 86 wins. Which is why I would be willing to make a move for a pitcher if they do trade Q. But for me it has to be someone they can then keep a few years too, if they are giving something of value up. Then sign Javy and KB to extensions and grab a FA arm next year with some other tweaks and go for it harder in 21'.
    I don't see the Cubs making those kinds of moves.

It'll probably be "Trade Quintana, replace with Mills'.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

So the Yankees' rotation is already taking some lumps with Paxton hurt, German suspended, and now Severino experiencing forearm soreness.

I wonder if they'd be interested in Q. They have a few guys in the minors that are solid and have options remaining. Maybe Losaiga or Nelson could be had. Might have to add to Q but I feel like his consistent health and ability to eat innings would really help their rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    So the Yankees' rotation is already taking some lumps with Paxton hurt, German suspended, and now Severino experiencing forearm soreness.

I wonder if they'd be interested in Q. They have a few guys in the minors that are solid and have options remaining. Maybe Losaiga or Nelson could be had. Might have to add to Q but I feel like his consistent health and ability to eat innings would really help their rotation.
    I'm not really interested in helping the Yankees and especially right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    So yeah. Lazy narrative you've crafted. Low hanging fruit. Impossible to prove almost everything you've suggested.
    It's not a narrative, it's what is coming from the mouths of the players, and what is seen on the field. Contreras said he slacked off in 2018, Baez said he didn't bother to warm up properly in 2019 and said others failed to do the same also. Whether you call it laziness or not being prepared, it falls on these players and ultimately the manager.

I linked to video of Baez not running out of the box when he hit a ball off the wall i 2019. Unacceptable. Here's Contreras doing the same in Sept 2018 during a playoff race in a tight game. UNACCEPTABLE. https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/wil...n-reaction-mlb

This is why you don't let the inmates run the asylum. Meanwhile I see a player like Schwarber busting his ***** on every play. His dad was a police officer, his sister a member of the National Guard, he has 2 cousins in the military, he doesn't need anyone to instill discipline in him, but other guys do. If we lost seasons because we hustled but just didn't have the talent I can live with that, I've lived with many dozens of Cubs seasons that being the case. But these aren't lovable losers, they're just losers. They came back down 3-1 in the WS and now they just roll over and die. Ross was hired specifically to fix this BS and hold players accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
    I'm not really interested in helping the Yankees and especially right now.
    I don't think trading Q is about helping the Yankees. It is about getting under the LT. But if they are going to do aas 1908 suggests, and just put Mills in the rotation, I agree they will not be winning a division. If they trade Q, which I am fine with, they then have to make another deal, IMO, to get a younger cheaper starter to fill in that #4 spot with MOR potential. If they have to give up someone in the minors for that guy, I am fine with that. I think this team can win in 20' so go get that pitcher.

I don't think trading Q is about helping the Yankees. It is about getting under the LT. But if they are going to do aas 1908 suggests, and just put Mills in the rotation, I agree they will not be winning a division. If they trade Q, which I am fine with, they then have to make another deal, IMO, to get a younger cheaper starter to fill in that #4 spot with MOR potential. If they have to give up someone in the minors for that guy, I am fine with that. I think this team can win in 20' so go get that pitcher.
    If the Yankees are missing pitchers due to suspensions/injuries, it's helping the Yankees. If they trade Q then as you said they better get something young, good and cheap in return.

2019-20 Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

The funny thing about trashing Joe Maddon is that the last two World Series winning managers, that didnít cheat to win one (Hinch and Cora did), were Joe Maddon and Dave Martinez, a guy who was the cubs bench coach for years and learnt a lot from Joe. I wouldnít trash Joe Maddon. The man is a winner who teaches players and coaches how to win, the right way.

2019 was a disappointment or rather September 2019 was, just like September 2018 when we turned a probable 100 win season into *only* 95 wins. How many losing months did this team have since 2016? 5?
    Last edited by JHBulls; 02-20-2020 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Well said. Youíll either get no reply or he will keep acting like a troll. I guess Stratos reads things that somebody else says and just runs with it rather than doing actual research, or in this case have a little common knowledge of the team he supposedly roots for. The stats say differently than the claims that Javy made about not being ready to play. As a professional athlete, these guys deserve the leeway to prepare on their own terms. Obviously a couple of guys took advantage of that to a certain extent, in which Joe should have stepped in and by not doing so, is where partial blame is on him. Iím sorry, but what he said is one of the dumbest things Iíve read on here. Or atleast itís in the running with almost everything that TN guy use to say, which is not good company to be in. I just canít trash a guy that did something so amazing for a team that Iíve rooted for for 25+ years. Thereís been so much bad, and now somebody comes along and brings something so great to these fans, and you want to trash him for ONE bad year? GTFOH.
    So i'm a troll because you happen to disagree with my opinion? Give me a break.

Baez is an amazing talent, the most talented player to put on a Cubs uniform in decades. That doesn't mean he has always had the right attitude. He's become complacent. Unacceptable. When Baez and Contreras won the vote to start thew all-star team in 2019 I cringed...just more reason to feed their egos.

As a professional athlete, these guys deserve the leeway to prepare on their own terms.
    When your lack of preparation is affecting the team, when you're hitting in a tunnel inside and not on the field, and when you say others have done it too...then no you don't get leeway. Stop defending the losing attitude this team has made a habit of the last 2 years.

You could be Willie Mays but if you're loafing it you better improve or GTFO this team now. And if you're a manager you better put a stop to it or GTFO. Theo knows what went down, he did exit interviews with players, he was there in the clubhouse and on the field before games. If Theo didn't acknowledge it I'd be calling for his head too. Whether you admit it or not is irrelevant, all I care about is whether Theo and Jed know it, and they do, and they hired a manager who in his own words will make these players accountable. This team got soft and you know it. And seeing it happen with my own eyes made me furious, seeing them choke 2 years in a row in disastrous fashion and the manager doing nothing about it made me furious, and it should make every Cubs fan really PO'd. You should be PO'd right along side me.

Players loafing it, Addison Russell hitting his wife and then moping around after he lost his SS job...who are these little spoiled infants? Maybe this is the year these entitled little children grow up, learn some discipline, responsibility, and accountability. Yes, I hate much of what this team has become, a bunch of entitled sloppy choking losers. But i'm hopeful Ross will fix all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    So i'm a troll because you happen to disagree with my opinion? Give me a break.

Baez is an amazing talent, the most talented player to put on a Cubs uniform in decades. That doesn't mean he has always had the right attitude. He's become complacent. Unacceptable. When Baez and Contreras won the vote to start thew all-star team in 2019 I cringed...just more reason to feed their egos.

When your lack of preparation is affecting the team, when you're hitting in a tunnel inside and not on the field, and when you say others have done it too...then no you don't get leeway. Stop defending the losing attitude this team has made a habit of the last 2 years.

You could be Willie Mays but if you're loafing it you better improve or GTFO this team now. And if you're a manager you better put a stop to it or GTFO. Theo knows what went down, he did exit interviews with players, he was there in the clubhouse and on the field before games. If Theo didn't acknowledge it I'd be calling for his head too. Whether you admit it or not is irrelevant, all I care about is whether Theo and Jed know it, and they do, and they hired a manager who in his own words will make these players accountable. This team got soft and you know it. And seeing it happen with my own eyes made me furious, seeing them choke 2 years in a row in disastrous fashion and the manager doing nothing about it made me furious, and it should make every Cubs fan really PO'd. You should be PO'd right along side me.

Players loafing it, Addison Russell hitting his wife and then moping around after he lost his SS job...who are these little spoiled infants? Maybe this is the year these entitled little children grow up, learn some discipline, responsibility, and accountability. Yes, I hate much of what this team has become, a bunch of entitled sloppy choking losers. But i'm hopeful Ross will fix all of that.
    Please show me proof of "players loafing it". You just can't keep saying it like it's true. The best thing you've got is Captain Asshat of the USS Asshat (namesake of Captain Asshat), Dave Kaplan whining about 2018 miscues (on a team who was one of the best defensive teams in all of baseball and statistically made some of the least amount of miscues). Yet we've got no proof of "lazy" "entitled" players. You have conflated "effort" and "preparedness" already (without any proof it affected someone like Baez, who put up nearly 10 fWAR as some unprepared laze-fest of a SS).

Not to mention, you seem to not understand what "choking" is. The 2018 team didn't "choke". Their longest winning streak came in late August (longest losing streak in May). Had an 18-10 record in August and a 16-12 record in September (good for a .571 winning percentage (that's a 92 game win pace, nothing to sneeze at). They had the second best record in the NL. That's not "choking". The Brewers played historically good in September, had a +5 pythag of luck, longest winning streak of the season in September and had a .773 winning percentage (125 game winning pace). The Cubs had their best player hurt and nearly worthless. The Cubs can't impact most of what Milwaukee did. Good for the Brewers. They played great, they earned it. What the Cubs did down the stretch was fine. It wasn't historical, it wasn't horrible. It wasn't like they limped to a 10-18 record.

Two games at the end of the season were disappointing. But it's not choking either. This is yet again, another lazy narrative.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 02-20-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
    If the Yankees are missing pitchers due to suspensions/injuries, it's helping the Yankees. If they trade Q then as you said they better get something young, good and cheap in return.
    Not going to be in the same deal, unfortunately. I do not think Q on the last year of his contract and being owed $10M+ is going to bring back someone as good as he is, younger and cheaper. Has to be two separate deals.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post

I agree 100% with this. If there's one thing Q can do, it's eat up innings every year.

We don't really need to get much back, as it will likely be more of a salary dump. But since the Yanks may be hurting for pitching, we might be able to get a little more back than normally.

Just when I was willing to read some of your posts, you start this ridiculous rant again. I think you said you were not crazy, just passionate. Sorry dude, this reaches the crazy line to me.

Maddon was the best manager the Cubs ever had. They wouldn't have been in the WS for him to make a bad move on Chapman (but that was in game 6, not 7), if it was not for him. Had he not made every right move in the 9th inning in SF and schooled Bochy on how to manage, the Cubs very possibly would have been eliminated from the playoffs in rd 1. Please stop with these rants you post just to get a rise from others.
    Occasionally when you post with less emotion and actual thought, you do make a point I can agree with. But this **** is borderline ridiculous.
    I don't post my opinions to get a rise out of others, I post my opinions for the same reason you post your opinions. If you disagree with my opinions either refute them or ignore them. But i won't be censored. I'm PO'd about what happened the last 2 years, and I have every reason to be, this team has been pathetic.

Maddon's moves during the WS are a minor point. Even his bullpen moves in general are a lesser gripe, managers make moves people complain about all the time. I don't think they were a major problem for this team. I think the attitude and preparation of this team was the major problem, I think Maddon's lack of leadership was the major problem. He worked for this team in 2015-2016, he wasn't the right guy for this team post-WS. He let our guys get soft, he let the WS go to some of the player's heads.

Anyways, I'm hopeful Rossy will lead this team in the right direction, he's just what we need.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    The funny thing about trashing Joe Maddon is that the last two World Series winning managers, that didnít cheat to win one (Hinch and Cora did), were Joe Maddon and Dave Martinez, a guy who was the cubs bench coach for years and learnt a lot from Joe. I wouldnít trash Joe Maddon. The man is a winner who teaches players and coaches how to win, the right way.

2019 was a disappointment or rather September 2019 was, just like September 2018 when we turned a probable 100 win season into *only* 95 wins. How many losing months did this team have since 2016? 5?
    Just want to make one correction. In 18' the team was solid throughout. September did not cost them 100 games. In fact this narrative that the Cubs choked (and this is not directed to you, because you never said it) is complete BS. The Brewers won their last 8 games, so the Cubs winning 5 of 8, which is very good, got caught with a 3 game lead. 95 wins in 18 was an amazing year all things considered. And they did not choke.