Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 440 of 454 FirstFirst ... 340390430438439440441442450 ... LastLast
Results 6,586 to 6,600 of 6799
  1. #6586
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    55,273
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I agree they should work with him to extend him. And they need to do it NOW.

    I disagree that this team cannot contend. To me they are co-favorites in a winnable division with Cincy and St.L. And St.L has their own set of problems.
    We won't agree on their contention ability. I think you're underselling what is a pretty good Reds team.

    They have problems but I like their problems more than ours. And it's not a "grass is greener" situation.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  2. #6587
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,935
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    We won't agree on their contention ability. I think you're underselling what is a pretty good Reds team.

    They have problems but I like their problems more than ours. And it's not a "grass is greener" situation.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I agree the reds will be a challenge. However, just read a piece in BN talking about the Cubs defense last year. And how it was very bad. And the difference between very bad and a top 5 defense in baseball could amount to 80 runs in a season. That 80 runs amounts to a difference in about 8 wins a year. I am paraphrasing the article. Using that article, I would contend the reds are going to lose a lot more games then people think because they are not very good defensively. Moustakas at 2nd, IMO, is going to be horrific. They also lost their very good fielding SS. Going from Iglesias to Galvis is a drop in defense. Add Nick C to the outfield and you have a pretty bad defensive team. IMO this will cost them more games than most figure. Yes, to me they are probably the Cubs biggest challenger. But they are beatable.

  3. #6588
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    55,273
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I agree the reds will be a challenge. However, just read a piece in BN talking about the Cubs defense last year. And how it was very bad. And the difference between very bad and a top 5 defense in baseball could amount to 80 runs in a season. That 80 runs amounts to a difference in about 8 wins a year. I am paraphrasing the article. Using that article, I would contend the reds are going to lose a lot more games then people think because they are not very good defensively. Moustakas at 2nd, IMO, is going to be horrific. They also lost their very good fielding SS. Going from Iglesias to Galvis is a drop in defense. Add Nick C to the outfield and you have a pretty bad defensive team. IMO this will cost them more games than most figure. Yes, to me they are probably the Cubs biggest challenger. But they are beatable.
    They're beatable. But they're have a pretty excellent rotation, their offense is pretty stout and I like their bullpen. Think they win 88-90. I don't see a path to the playoffs for the Cubs at that number.

    They're beatable but we need a lot to go right and enough to go wrong for them. Think that is a high ask. And I don't see it happening.

    On top of it, I still expect the Cubs to go under the tax. It's going to make it that much more difficult.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  4. #6589
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    22,706

    2019-20 Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

    Broadcasting news:

    Braves have fired reporter Kelsey Wingert and have signed former Cubs reporter Kelly Crull to take her place

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  5. #6590
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago land
    Posts
    14,608
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Broadcasting news:

    Braves have fired reporter Kelsey Wingert and have signed former Cubs reporter Kelly Crull to take her place
    Surprised the Cubs didn't find a way to keep Crull around.


    The real Pride of the Midwest

  6. #6591
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,935
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    They're beatable. But they're have a pretty excellent rotation, their offense is pretty stout and I like their bullpen. Think they win 88-90. I don't see a path to the playoffs for the Cubs at that number.

    They're beatable but we need a lot to go right and enough to go wrong for them. Think that is a high ask. And I don't see it happening.

    On top of it, I still expect the Cubs to go under the tax. It's going to make it that much more difficult.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Cubs going under the LT is where it gets tougher to win. I am not as high on the Cubs as thawv. I feel if they lose Quintana they have to make another deal for a starting pitcher. Doesn't have to be a star pitcher. Maybe a poor man's #3 sort of guy or a very solid #4. But someone who might only make a couple million a year and someone they can keep for several more years as a MOR sort of guy. There are guys out there that fit that description, and I would be willing to move a minor leaguer for someone like that. Just not a top 5 or so guy in the organization.
    I may differ from you on that idea, because you do not see them competing so why trade the minor league asset. And I get that, with the idea they can't contend. But IMO they can.
    Another option is the Chatwood option. Maybe him and a prospect, again not top 5, as a salary dump. Maybe him, Caratini and a prospect for an actual pitcher, who makes less. Cubs picked up Phegley in the off season. He can be the back up catcher. He actually hit lefties very well last year. So they can use him on occasion.
    And, once again, I realize you won't like this idea either. All comes back to you feeling this is a throw away year so why loses assets. But, IMO, it is not a throw away year.
    TBH, I would be ok with either scenario if the Cubs did get under the LT, because I feel the team is good enough to make those sort of moves.

  7. #6592
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago land
    Posts
    14,608
    Lineup wise, I would like to see something like this...

    (If Nico makes the team out of spring training)

    KB
    Nico
    Rizzo
    Javy
    Willy
    Kyle
    Heyward
    Happ
    Pitcher


    (if Nico starts in the minors)

    KB
    Kyle
    Rizzo
    Javy
    Willy
    Kipnis
    Heyward
    Happ
    Pitcher


    Only a gut feeling but I think the Cubs are hoping Kipnis plays well enough to win the 2B job coming out of camp, I think the Cubs (in a perfect world) would prefer Nico get a little more minor league seasoning. Could be wrong, but thats the gut feel right now.


    The real Pride of the Midwest

  8. #6593
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,935
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    They're beatable. But they're have a pretty excellent rotation, their offense is pretty stout and I like their bullpen. Think they win 88-90. I don't see a path to the playoffs for the Cubs at that number.

    They're beatable but we need a lot to go right and enough to go wrong for them. Think that is a high ask. And I don't see it happening.

    On top of it, I still expect the Cubs to go under the tax. It's going to make it that much more difficult.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Also, I think you are a little higher on the Reds then I am. And lower on the Cubs. I see the Reds around 85-86 wins. IMO the Cubs can get there.

  9. #6594
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubs420 View Post
    Lineup wise, I would like to see something like this...

    (If Nico makes the team out of spring training)

    KB
    Nico
    Rizzo
    Javy
    Willy
    Kyle
    Heyward
    Happ
    Pitcher


    (if Nico starts in the minors)

    KB
    Kyle
    Rizzo
    Javy
    Willy
    Kipnis
    Heyward
    Happ
    Pitcher


    Only a gut feeling but I think the Cubs are hoping Kipnis plays well enough to win the 2B job coming out of camp, I think the Cubs (in a perfect world) would prefer Nico get a little more minor league seasoning. Could be wrong, but thats the gut feel right now.
    I agree that Nico starts in the minors. But if he starts in the majors and is the starting second baseman, I would never bat him 2nd. IMO Rizzo is going to be 2nd. Best hitters at the top, IMO. Nico does not fit that bill.
    I also agree that the Cubs hope Kipnis wins the job at 2nd. But, IMO, if he doesn't it will be Bote there. And that is fine with me.

  10. #6595
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    55,273
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Cubs going under the LT is where it gets tougher to win. I am not as high on the Cubs as thawv. I feel if they lose Quintana they have to make another deal for a starting pitcher. Doesn't have to be a star pitcher. Maybe a poor man's #3 sort of guy or a very solid #4. But someone who might only make a couple million a year and someone they can keep for several more years as a MOR sort of guy. There are guys out there that fit that description, and I would be willing to move a minor leaguer for someone like that. Just not a top 5 or so guy in the organization.
    I may differ from you on that idea, because you do not see them competing so why trade the minor league asset. And I get that, with the idea they can't contend. But IMO they can.
    Another option is the Chatwood option. Maybe him and a prospect, again not top 5, as a salary dump. Maybe him, Caratini and a prospect for an actual pitcher, who makes less. Cubs picked up Phegley in the off season. He can be the back up catcher. He actually hit lefties very well last year. So they can use him on occasion.
    And, once again, I realize you won't like this idea either. All comes back to you feeling this is a throw away year so why loses assets. But, IMO, it is not a throw away year.
    TBH, I would be ok with either scenario if the Cubs did get under the LT, because I feel the team is good enough to make those sort of moves.
    I actually don't think it's a complete throwaway. Which is my biggest issue.

    It's too good to suck and not good enough to win. It's .500 purgatory.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  11. #6596
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,592
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I agree that Nico starts in the minors. But if he starts in the majors and is the starting second baseman, I would never bat him 2nd. IMO Rizzo is going to be 2nd. Best hitters at the top, IMO. Nico does not fit that bill.
    I also agree that the Cubs hope Kipnis wins the job at 2nd. But, IMO, if he doesn't it will be Bote there. And that is fine with me.
    Donít have time to look, but how well does Bote hit lefties? Could he and Kipnis not platoon?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #6597
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago land
    Posts
    14,608
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I agree that Nico starts in the minors. But if he starts in the majors and is the starting second baseman, I would never bat him 2nd. IMO Rizzo is going to be 2nd. Best hitters at the top, IMO. Nico does not fit that bill.
    I also agree that the Cubs hope Kipnis wins the job at 2nd. But, IMO, if he doesn't it will be Bote there. And that is fine with me.
    Probably a little premature to hit Nico second but I think he's got the tools to be a pretty good top of the order hitter. I also like having a little speed at the top of the lineup as well.

    Speed and contact, something Nico should be able to supply.


    The real Pride of the Midwest

  13. #6598
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    55,273
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Donít have time to look, but how well does Bote hit lefties? Could he and Kipnis not platoon?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kipnis sucks *** at hitting period. 91 wRC+ last year against RHP. He's awful. Under 90 wRC+ three years running. He doesn't need to be in the lineup often.

    Can Bote hit LHP is complicated. He crushed them in 2018. He had a sub 80 wRC+ last year. Both SSS. So...he might. Or he might not. You can say the same about RHP the two years, as well, just flipped.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  14. #6599
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,437
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I agree that Nico starts in the minors. But if he starts in the majors and is the starting second baseman, I would never bat him 2nd. IMO Rizzo is going to be 2nd. Best hitters at the top, IMO. Nico does not fit that bill.
    I also agree that the Cubs hope Kipnis wins the job at 2nd. But, IMO, if he doesn't it will be Bote there. And that is fine with me.
    I agree that Nico will be nowhere near the top of the order. Depending on LHP/RHP, I see him hitting 7th or 8th.

  15. #6600
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,935
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I actually don't think it's a complete throwaway. Which is my biggest issue.

    It's too good to suck and not good enough to win. It's .500 purgatory.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I get it. We have gone round and round, and honestly we are not far off. While you see the Reds at 88 to 90 and the Cubs at 82 or so wins, I have them much closer. Maybe both around 85 to 86 wins. Which is why I would be willing to make a move for a pitcher if they do trade Q. But for me it has to be someone they can then keep a few years too, if they are giving something of value up. Then sign Javy and KB to extensions and grab a FA arm next year with some other tweaks and go for it harder in 21'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •