Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 396 of 454 FirstFirst ... 296346386394395396397398406446 ... LastLast
Results 5,926 to 5,940 of 6799
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I am cynical about the intentions of owners. I believe they’ve created a system that should make us all deeply cynical or at least skeptical about their intentions. I think the new playoff format is only being pushed because it will disincentivize spending on players. The players should be very cynical about everything the owners propose.
    JFC! What a great post!

I am cynical about the intentions of owners. I believe they’ve created a system that should make us all deeply cynical or at least skeptical about their intentions. I think the new playoff format is only being pushed because it will disincentivize spending on players. The players should be very cynical about everything the owners propose.
    Also more teams get a piece of playing a game in the play offs which helps line their pockets. The same reason why the nfl is trying to go to 17 games and has 4 preseason games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019-20 Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

Quote Originally Posted by BigRoy View Post
    Also more teams get a piece of playing a game in the play offs which helps line their pockets. The same reason why the nfl is trying to go to 17 games and has 4 preseason games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It lowers the bar to get in so you can get in with a worse team and creates more playoff revenue by adding 8-10 playoff games per year.

If the playoffs are mostly a crapshoot anyway, why spend an extra 40 million to go from an 84 win team to a 89 win team? Both teams probably get in the playoffs in the proposed model. Neither team gets the bye. Under the current format the 84 win team probably doesn’t get in and the 89 win team is 50/50. They still might pick the cheaper option like Boston just did, but there’s some incentive to spend more to make the playoffs.
    Last edited by CP_414; 02-12-2020 at 08:11 PM.

I have comcast and I just realize now how much it going to suck if they and Marquee dont come to an agreement..

Usually rely on SportsTalkLive and Comcast Sports Channel to get my daily Cubs fix in, but watching recently and especially now since ST started it been mostly Whitesox bias for the obvious reason..

Part of me wonder if Comcast playing hardball with Marquee a little bit because it the Cubs and all, probably not, but it makes you wonder

It lowers the bar to get in so you can get in with a worse team and creates more playoff revenue by adding 8-10 playoff games per year.

If the playoffs are mostly a crapshoot anyway, why spend an extra 40 million to go from an 84 win team to a 89 win team? Both teams probably get in the playoffs in the proposed model. Neither team gets the bye. Under the current format the 84 win team probably doesn’t get in and the 89 win team is 50/50. They still might pick the cheaper option like Boston just did, but there’s some incentive to spend more to make the playoffs.
    I'm hoping that them wanting the extra playoff teams stems more from them adding 2 expansion teams and creating four 4 team divisions with the 8 division winners only making it with no wild card..

Best of 7 LDS, LCS, and WS

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I'm hoping that them wanting the extra playoff teams stems more from them adding 2 expansion teams and creating four 4 team divisions with the 8 division winners only making it with no wild card..

Expansion??? There's not enough talent to fill 30 rosters! It's already very deluded.

That wouldn’t be playoff expansion. That would be a playoff reduction. Right now 10 out of 30 teams make it. If they had 8 division winners and no WC that’s 8 out of 32 teams. They are proposing 14 out of 30 teams (maybe 32 eventually) getting in.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Expansion??? There's not enough talent to fill 30 rosters! It's already very deluded.
    I dont disagree but it coming

That wouldn’t be playoff expansion. That would be a playoff reduction. Right now 10 out of 30 teams make it. If they had 8 division winners and no WC that’s 8 out of 32 teams. They are proposing 14 out of 30 teams (maybe 32 eventually) getting in.
    There no time or reasonable format to do 7 teams in each league

You have to look at what would make sense as a format, so unless they plan on shortening the season or starting in Mid March to add more playoff rounds so the World Series not ending in November, it just not doable.

Plus after 10 as it is now, it would have to be 16 teams for it to be doable as a format, 12 and 14 wont work, otherwise theyll have teams sitting and waiting for over a week to play, especially if they extend the first round to best of 3 or 5...

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    And when will that stop baseball from expanding?
    Screw sabermetics.

2019-20 Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

There no time or reasonable format to do 7 teams in each league

You have to look at what would make sense as a format, so unless they plan on shortening the season or starting in Mid March to add more playoff rounds so the World Series not ending in November, it just not doable.

Plus after 10 as it is now, it would have to be 16 teams for it to be doable as a format, 12 and 14 wont work, otherwise theyll have teams sitting and waiting for over a week to play, especially if they extend the first round to best of 3 or 5...
    I’m not sure what you mean. Did you see the format they proposed the other day? It goes from 10 to 14, but since the 1st round is all at one site it wouldn’t necessarily add any more time to the playoffs. Maybe a day or two tops. Maybe none at all. Right now teams wait from Sunday till Thursday/Friday. They could do the WC round Tues-Thurs and still start the DS on Friday/Saturday. It doesn’t really change the timeline.
    Last edited by CP_414; 02-12-2020 at 09:14 PM.

I dont disagree but it coming
    Knock it down to 24 teams!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    And when will that stop baseball from expanding?
    It won't

I’m not sure what you mean. Did you see the format they proposed the other day? It goes from 10 to 14, but since the 1st round is all at one site it wouldn’t necessarily add any more time to the playoffs. Maybe a day or two tops. Maybe none at all. Right now teams wait from Sunday till Thursday/Friday. They could do the WC round Tues-Thurs and still start the DS on Friday/Saturday. It doesn’t really change the timeline.
    Crazy as it sounds, I really like the picking your opponent idea.

I’m now excited about Arenado and shouldn’t be.