Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 257 of 420 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267307357 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,855 of 6291

2019-20 Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    She is too much though.
    There are two Bryant’s. There is the wife of Kris Bryant, Jessica, who posts on social media and tbf no one who is not a family member or friend should be following anyway (I found the post on reddit) and there is Kris Bryant, the Chicago Cubs player. WCWW wants both Bryant’s gone hence his “gtfo” to both of them. That is why his post won’t go over well.
    Last edited by JHBulls; 01-19-2020 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    There are two Bryant’s. There is the wife of Kris Bryant, Jessica, who posts on social media and tbf no one who is not a family member or friend should be following anyway (I found the post on reddit) and there is Kris Bryant, the Chicago Cubs player. WCWW wants both Bryant’s gone hence his “gtfo” to both of them. That is why his post won’t go over well.
    No, I gotcha. That’s why I was just agreeing that she’s too much. Kris is fine. Honestly, I just hate when athletes spouses get involved. Male or female athlete. Just leave it to the actual people that play.

Quote Originally Posted by toovey107 View Post
    All in all, it's not who we lost (Bryant trade pending) it's the fact we haven't added to the roster.
    It's not who we lost, it's who we lost vs who we've added, come the start of the season.

This is greatly exaggerated. Zobrist hardly played. Cishek and Kintzler are both up in age and fall under the 'relief pitchers are volatile year to year' spectrum. Cubs have plenty of options who could be just as good as either of those guys.
    I like some of our young pen arms like Wick etc., but based on the very small sample-sizes we shouldn't be betting our season on them being as effective as Cishek, who is one of the best non-closers in the game, or Kintzler, who has a 3.37 career ERA. We need at least one proven setup guy to backup Kimbrel, and i'd grab 2 if I were Theo and had any expectation of winning this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    No, I gotcha. That’s why I was just agreeing that she’s too much. Kris is fine. Honestly, I just hate when athletes spouses get involved. Male or female athlete. Just leave it to the actual people that play.
    Totally agree with you.

Eh, we're definitely due some positive variance, but Bryant's not gonna be here. Assuming we grab no other impact players (I'd count Castellanos) I think any 82-88 projections are fair.

Quote Originally Posted by toovey107 View Post
    This is greatly exaggerated. Zobrist hardly played. Cishek and Kintzler are both up in age and fall under the 'relief pitchers are volatile year to year' spectrum. Cubs have plenty of options who could be just as good as either of those guys. Hamels wasn't the same coming off injury, and is only getting older. Is he any better than a BORP pitcher at this point? Probably not.

Castellanos does hurt if he's even close to the player he was in the second half but once again, he was only on the team for 3 months.

All in all, it's not who we lost (Bryant trade pending) it's the fact we haven't added to the roster.
    Nonsensical post.

Regardless of the "true talent level" of the guys you mentioned, the point is they were at times very important contributors to our team last year. Letting them walk out the door, sure, fine I get it. Not replacing them at all? That's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    Nonsensical post.

Regardless of the "true talent level" of the guys you mentioned, the point is they were at times very important contributors to our team last year. Letting them walk out the door, sure, fine I get it. Not replacing them at all? That's a problem.
    Losing AND not replacing Castellanos is huge.

Unless something way under the radar happens, they’ll be opening spring training with the same group of outfielders for the fourth straight season. Which is mind numbing.

If they do trade Bryant, I'm hoping for ready to near ready SP in return

I'm not as confident in the current SP as some here are, I see a group that been declining since 2016.

They may be good enough to help them get to 500 for the year, but if that the case and they are hovering 500 and or look to be non contenders at the break, I hope they consider adding young cost controlled SP at the deadline and also use the 2nd half to get younger guys some starting experience to get them prepared for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post

Unless something way under the radar happens, they’ll be opening spring training with the same group of outfielders for the fourth straight season. Which is mind numbing.
    I think the loss of Castellanos is over rated by fans if it happens. He had a magical two months, but the team was in first place before that happened last year. You can say a lot of things about him, he kept our offense afloat down the stretch, but at the same time, the offense showed the first half what a fully healthy team could do. He won't be a 2 win player every three months. More likely, he is a 3 win player overall. I'm not that broken up if he goes elsewhere.

Heyward is perfectly fine against RHP, especially as a RF (worthless against LHP). Schwarber might have turned a corner, and looks like he's less of a platoon player than originally thought.

The issue is they basically have punted CF unless something off the radar happens. Castellanos might have helped, but I'm not excited about trading Bryant and then signing Castellanos for the OF as a coupled pair of moved. I don't really want to go the "Heyward in CF full-time" route.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Well this is not really true. Not if Happ starts in center. He wasn’t even in the team at the start of last year. And if he is what he was when he came back last year why is it mind numbing to go with Schwarber/Happ/Heyward as a starting outfield? Their biggest problem is depth. And they didn’t address it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    Nonsensical post.

Problem is, with the plan of getting and staying under the Threshold, there no way for them to even try and equal the productivity they loss from that group at the cost it would take because it will put them back over the Threshold.

As Stratos pointed out most of that money from those players went to the increase of salary to current players on roster.

So, to stay under the Threshold, their replacements are players signed to the minimum salary possible, which will probably bring lesser production unless of course we get surprise by someone or two, which can happen.

We're all just going to have to accept the fact that 2020 is a reset year and their only plan is to get through it as best as possible on the field and hope they're able to add players via trades at some point and be able to put together a contending roster next offseason for 2021 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I think the loss of Castellanos is over rated by fans if it happens. He had a magical two months, but the team was in first place before that happened last year. You can say a lot of things about him, he kept our offense afloat down the stretch, but at the same time, the offense showed the first half what a fully healthy team could do. He won't be a 2 win player every three months. More likely, he is a 3 win player overall. I'm not that broken up if he goes elsewhere.

Heyward is perfectly fine against RHP, especially as a RF (worthless against LHP). Schwarber might have turned a corner, and looks like he's less of a platoon player than originally thought.

The issue is they basically have punted CF unless something off the radar happens. Castellanos might have helped, but I'm not excited about trading Bryant and then signing Castellanos for the OF as a coupled pair of moved. I don't really want to go the "Heyward in CF full-time" route.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Yea, I like Castellanos but there a reason no team to this point has signed him or if I'm not mistaken has even made him an offer yet.

He just may have a buyers beware on him for the price he seeking

I'm interested in seeing where he ends up and the deal he gets

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Well this is not really true. Not if Happ starts in center. He wasn’t even in the team at the start of last year. And if he is what he was when he came back last year why is it mind numbing to go with Schwarber/Happ/Heyward as a starting outfield? Their biggest problem is depth. And they didn’t address it.
    I hope Happ has figured it out. And yes he was part of the outfield mix a year ago. And was sent down in favor of Albert Almora. The outfield might be mediocre, as it currently stands. As long as they don’t face LHP.
    And we’re banking that last year’s, league average-ish Heyward is the Heyward going forward over the Jason Heyward of the previous three seasons.
    They refuse to bring in any sort of competition. And it’s not a budget thing, it’s been going on for years.

2019-20 Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

I hope Happ has figured it out. And yes he was part of the outfield mix a year ago. And was sent down in favor of Albert Almora. The outfield might be mediocre, as it currently stands. As long as they don’t face LHP.
    And we’re banking that last year’s, league average-ish Heyward is the Heyward going forward over the Jason Heyward of the previous three seasons.
    They refuse to bring in any sort of competition. And it’s not a budget thing, it’s been going on for years.
    This year it was all about budget though no doubt about it. They were absolutely forced to bring back the same group .

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dfan25; 01-19-2020 at 03:29 PM.

I think if Happ figured it out the outfield would be much better than mediocre. I think Schwarber is much closer to what he was the last half of 10', and I also see no reason Heyward can't be league average. He was ok last year, and actually good when not leading off. To me the key is Happ. I do agree, that against left handed pitching they might have some issues. This is why, to me, the biggest issue they had is depth. I do not hate the current outfield, offensively, and think it can actually be good IF Happ figured it out.
    If we are being honest, they did not improve it mainly because of the budget. So we can only hope for the best.