Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 243 of 452 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243244245253293343 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,645 of 6766

2019-20 Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

Rumors are getting out of control. Fake niece of Carlos Beltran tweeting about buzzers. Scott Brocious’s son (maybe) saying Mike Trout is on HGH.

I just caught the end of Jesse Rogers on espn 1000. He said the Braves reengaged the Cubs after Donaldson signed and they want KB and are willing to give up value to get him. Said it could be a week or 2 on the grievance (he mentioned Feb 1 as the target). He emphasized they are 100% going under the tax as we expect. If anything falls through with Bryant they’ll move someone else, but they are going under. Most interestingly he said there’s been no progress on a Javy extension so far. He mentioned Rizzos comments about contract stuff today, too.
    Last edited by CP_414; 01-16-2020 at 05:38 PM.

Predictably, nobody in the game is willing to publicly finger those who were cheating or those whom they believe might be cheating. But given assurances of anonymity, several league sources indicate the Astros, Dodgers, Red Sox, New York Yankees and Arizona Diamondbacks have been especially adept with technological surveillance. One source mentions the Cubs and Washington Nationals dabble a bit "but not as much as others." Another source says the Indians, while still another notes the Toronto Blue Jays and Texas Rangers once were suspected as well.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-sign-stealing

She is not his niece. Hard to believe any of it once you start lying about who you are.

As mentioned in the Ken Rosenthal's tweet, anybody remember when the Astros players said "they were not the Cubs?"

Pepperidge farms remembers.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    She is not his niece. Hard to believe any of it once you start lying about who you are.
    Liars on one side, cheaters on the other...Not sure who to believe.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Liars on one side, cheaters on the other...Not sure who to believe.
    Yeah. Better to just sit back, let the dust settle and only believe what is reported from legitimate sources. Random twitter folks claiming they know things and others claiming to be things are not worth it. This whole buzzer thing is just something to file away and maybe we'll get more on it later. Or maybe we won't.

What do the cubs want in return for Kris Bryant?

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Sure, but if Altuve has a 100 wRC+ after 200 PAs, people will be freaking out even though those numbers don’t necessarily mean anything.

Someone good on the Astros will have a tough 2020 and whoever it is people will point to them and say “they aren’t cheating anymore.”
    https://twitter.com/Jared_Carrabis/s...912446987?s=19

Rumors are getting out of control. Fake niece of Carlos Beltran tweeting about buzzers. Scott Brocious’s son (maybe) saying Mike Trout is on HGH.

I just caught the end of Jesse Rogers on espn 1000. He said the Braves reengaged the Cubs after Donaldson signed and they want KB and are willing to give up value to get him. Said it could be a week or 2 on the grievance (he mentioned Feb 1 as the target). He emphasized they are 100% going under the tax as we expect. If anything falls through with Bryant they’ll move someone else, but they are going under. Most interestingly he said there’s been no progress on a Javy extension so far. He mentioned Rizzos comments about contract stuff today, too.
    If I'm Theo, and the Braves are seeking Bryant, I'm asking the Braves for best return package possible..
    Go high and force their hands to pony up the prospects over paying the big $$$$ and prospects for Arenado

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    If I'm Theo, and the Braves are seeking Bryant, I'm asking the Braves for best return package possible..
    Go high and force their hands to pony up the prospects over paying the big $$$$ and prospects for Arenado
    Except the Rockies have to also have a high price on Arenado. Of course Theo is going to go in high. I think it was reported about 6 months ago now (JK, more like 2 weeks ago) the Cub gave the Braves a list of 4 guys and said they can pick 3 to give back. The list had Anderson/Wright/Riley/Waters, I believe. I would say that is going in high.

I think it’s annoying when people throw all the blame at Theo and the front office. The best run in franchise history just happened because of Theo and the fact that 84 win seasons are now disasters is because of how good he’s been at his job. To me, no one person is more responsible for the Cubs recent success than Theo Epstein.

The Cubs are 8th in spending the last 10 years. They’ve gone over the lux tax 2 times. They seem to be refusing to go over 2 years in a row despite other large market teams being willing to do so. There are legitimate complaints about ownership just like there are legitimate complaints about FO moves that went bad or the lack of pitching prospects who produced anything yet and legitimate complaints about players and managers. Everyone owns their part of what’s going wrong right now and everyone owns their part of what went right the last 5 years, too.
    What blame should we put on Ricketts though? He has provided Theo and the front office with plenty enough resources to build a great team. Not his fault one bit that those resources have been misused.

Of all the teams that were in the playoffs this year almost all of them had a payroll lower than the Cubs. Rickets is giving this front office plenty of resources.

I have a hard time being mad at the guy for not wanting to go over the cap if he doesn't think this team is anywhere near winning a championship...
    Last edited by Cubs420; 01-16-2020 at 06:04 PM.

The real Pride of the Midwest

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs420 View Post
    What blame should we put on Ricketts though? He has provided Theo and the front office with plenty enough resources to build a great team. Not his fault one bit that those resources have been misused.

Of all the teams that were in the playoffs this year almost all of them had a payroll lower than the Cubs. Rickets is giving this front office plenty of resources.

I have a hard time being mad at the guy for not wanting to go over the cap if he doesn't think this team is anywhere near winning a championship...
    Ricketts put a self imposed spending freeze on the team during the competitive window. The Cubs are one of the biggest money makers, revenue stream teams in baseball. Why shouldn't they have the highest payroll. It is what the large market teams should do. It is their advantage. This FO doesn't get a competitive balance pick. It doesn't get extra IFA spending money. It doesn't get as good a draft choice when a FA leaves and it gets penalized more when it signs a FA. So their only advantage is to spend. So that is what they did, until now, while in a competitive window.
    And if you are going to criticize this FO for misusing the assets they you need to give them credit for gaining those assets. The same FO you criticize for trading Ely and Cease for Q is the one that got Eloy and Cease in the first place. Same with Gleybor. And, frankly not going to get into another exhausting Q discussion again, AFTER THE FACT. But to win a WS the FO did what it has to do. Something the Dodgers still have not done. And something else the Dodgers still haven't done since this FO took over..... Win a WS.

While some teams are working on creative ways to win championships, the Cubs are working on creative ways to cut their payroll

What's the obsession with having to "blame" somebody? Why does that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    As mentioned in the Ken Rosenthal's tweet, anybody remember when the Astros players said "they were not the Cubs?"

Pepperidge farms remembers.
    “We’re not the Cubs,” he told the Washington Post. “I firmly believe we have better players.”, Dallas Keuchel.

It was after the Astros won the World Series and the reporter asked about possibly having a 2018 hangover like the Cubs had in 2017. Amazing that Keuchel was involved in the cheating which was the only reason they won the World Series and he still has a shot at another team. He could have said that having a hangover is possible for any team and left it at that, that would have been more respectable.