Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Winter Notes

Winter Notes

Not much news coming out of the Tigers right now so I thought Iíd throw some things out there to talk about:

Winter League Info

Isaac Paredes didnít have the best fall league but he has certainly not disappointed with his overall winter stats in the Mexican league. Overall in the two leagues, he is hitting .281 with 4 HRís in 42 games and 160 at bats. The dude keeps busy. He also has shown just how good he is as a hitter with continued plus/plus with On Base % of .383 and a 22K to 21BB rate. This kid is just going to keep getting better and better. I look for a boost in power this year, with my guess being 20+ HRís in Toledo.

Gregory Soto, LHP- I gave up on this guy not too long ago but man he has just excelled in the pen. He has a lightning fastball which favors the pen and his winter stats have been excellent at 8 games, 0.00 ERA, 2 saves, and 13K in 7 innings. Unless something weird happens, I think this is our LH out of the pen this year.

Jeimer Candelario seems to be back on track a bit after his horrendous year this year. If nothing else, in years prior you could at least get a good On Base % out of him but not last year. In his Dominican winter he has a .250 average, 7 doubles, 1 tripe, 1 homer, 9 RBI, and a .360 On Base.

My Breakout Player Prediction

I have two guys for my break out player this year. My hope is at least one of them makes me proud. First, Victor Reyes (25), he really started coming on last year and I expect even more this year. He has always been an On Base guy (high .330ís or more) until the Rule V draft where he had to stay with the MLB club. He brought that back last year with a great AAA on base and a good on base in the MLB. I want to see more pop in his bat and more stolen bases with a better steal rate. His fielding is outstanding and he can play all three spots so I expect him in the lineup every day. I could see him being a 20/20 guy down the road.

My second guy is Christian Stewart (26), although I have no idea what to do with him in the field. I have read he may be tried at first base but dang heís so bad in the outfield (.962 fielding percentage) I donít know how you put him at first. In comparison for those that thought Nick Castellanos was a bad outfielder, he had a .990 fielding percentage. Stewart has 7 errors in 104 games and Nick only has 6 errors in the outfield with triple the amount of games. Regardless of where he is at in the field, I need his bat to come to life. I need that power he showed in the minor leagues. Without it, we just canít afford to have him in LF or 1B. I could see 25+ HRís this year from him and hopefully a .250 or better average.

yeah hopefully Jeimer bounces back, he was god awful at the plate last year

I'm looking for a Franklin Perez renaissance.

oh boy! thanks for the help ianmale! I'd be lost without your vast knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    oh boy! thanks for the help ianmale! I'd be lost without your vast knowledge.
    I still can't write notes

Guy, me too brother......it's a sad day