The Cincinnati Reds lost one of their top hitting coaches Thursday when Donnie Ecker was chosen to be the San Francisco Giants hitting coach, a source told The Enquirer.

Ecker, 33, was hired as the Reds’ assistant hitting coach last offseason and he was expected to have a larger role next season as the club’s director of hitting. In his role with the Reds, he would’ve created and implemented a hitting philosophy throughout the organization with newly-hired hitting coach Alan Zinter.

Hitters credited Ecker with improving their swings through biomechanics. Aristides Aquino completely overhauled his swing in spring training with Ecker’s help and it resulted in the best season of his career. Aquino had 19 homers and 47 RBI in 56 big-league games.

“In spring training when I met (Ecker), he just came by and stuck to me and said, ‘Let’s go to work.’” Aquino said through a team translator last season. “At the beginning, I started opening up and then I began to start seeing the results. I just kept going and going.”
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ch/2625590001/

Reds fans are pretty bummed out about losing this guy, so it seems like a good hire.