Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Free Agency 2020

Count me in as someone who is glad Avila hasn't run out and signed guys already. I really want him to sit back and see how the market plays out. The only player I may look at early is Jason Castro, just because he fits this team perfectly. A catcher who can hit from the left side and for some power, is exactly what we could use with out young RH hitting catchers. Otherwise, the only other real "need" I see is some LH pitching in the pen and a starter so we can trade Boyd for some prospects. In looking at the LH options, there are a lot of them so let Avila see what the trade market is for Boyd and then go get a LH starter. We can also sit back and see what bargains are out there once the market settles in at other positions. We really don't "need" a 30 something at any position but a bargain that might be attractive at the deadline at a low cost? Heck yea, you got to do that where we are at right now.

Here's the list of LH pitchers I'd bring in that could benefit us at the deadline or at least be has somewhat cheap and fill in till the young guys get up here:

Wade Miley (33)- good innings guy who would be around $8M
    Alex Wood (29)- bad year last year but has good history probably around $8M
    Brett Anderson (32)/ Gio Gonzales (34)- both have injury history but pitch well when healthy and could be between $6-$8M
    Matt Moore (31)- pitched really well before injury, would be real cheap.
    Wei-yin Chen (34)- since leaving the AL hasn't been as affective but still has a really nice SO/BB combo, should come real cheap and could be used in the pen
    Martin Perez (29)- decent year last year but still a guy in the mid 4 era so should be around $6M a year

Michael Wacha (28)- might be a reclamation project for us but is a RH pitcher (if we could get him in the pen, I think he'd increase his value)
    Arodys Vizcaino (29)- good bullpen arm that should come cheap
    Jason Adam (28)- another bullpen arm that will come cheap

Starlin Castro (30)- Could be our first base guy with options at 2B/3B as well. Better option than Ronny Rodriguez. Have to see about the price.

apparently we have interest in Addison Russell

*edit* now I'm reading we do not

How about a creative trade? SD is desperate to move on from Wil Meyers who has a three year $20M a year ($61M in total with buyout) tag still. They are willing to pay a large portion of his contract and give up some prospects. So, how about getting one of these two deals:

Tigers trade: Jake Rogers (C) and Anthony Castro (RHP)

Tigers get: Wil Meyers (1B/OF) with $28M put toward his contract, Luis Campusano (C) and one of the following: Owen Miller (SS/2B), Edward Olivares (OF), Gabriel Arias (SS), or Joey Cantillo (LHP)

Tigers trade: Jake Rogers (C), Kyle Funkhouser (RHP), Derek Hill (OF), and Jordan Zimmerman (RHP)

Tigers get: Wil Meyers (1B/OF) with $20M put toward his contract, Luis Campusano (C) and one of the following: Owen Miller (SS/2B), Edward Olivares (OF), Gabriel Arias (SS), or Joey Cantillo (LHP)

Campusano has to be included in all deals. He is a great catching prospect (#5 SD prospect and #86 overall) who can hit. Roger's is a great defensive catcher who can't hit but could be their back up this year in SD. The other 4 players listed are between #9 - #15 on SD's top 30 prospects and all very good with upside. It's a way to eat some money but get some prospects for it. CREATIVE!

Rumor has it the Tigers are really interested in Jason Castro.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Rumor has it the Tigers are really interested in Jason Castro.
    whoever that is

Looks like we are getting Austin Romine as our catcher next season. Did decent with Yankees last year, has some power, and he's the brother of our last Romine. It is said to be a $4.1M deal.

Do they think Rogers is that bad that they can't give him a shot? They need to just suck and not sign a veteran that isn't going to have any trade interest at the deadline and play the young guys to develop them.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Do they think Rogers is that bad that they can't give him a shot? They need to just suck and not sign a veteran that isn't going to have any trade interest at the deadline and play the young guys to develop them.
    Does it really matter either way? Detroit sports are done and should be contracted, all of 'em