Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Homelessness

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Okay, you seem to be arguing, and I'm agreeing. We need to give homeless people homes. They should come with mandatory counceling, and they should not be free forever, like after a year they should be cheap but not free.
    I would be good with that. I don't think that would work for all homeless people but this helps those that want help.

don't get your panties in a bunch because you don't like what I'm posting.
    Į\_(ツ)_/Į

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome
    the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

This infographic nicely illustrates what housing is like in big cities. 101 attempts to look at a place resulted in 21 they could look at, of which 8 were turned down by the customer, 13 were applied for, only 1 accepted. When there are so many customers landlords can be more selective, and can charge more, the more they can charge the closer to homeless more people get.

If you count alcohol as a drug, I agree.

But if you are talking about 5000 homeless then 1000+ are probably there because of bad luck. That's still a really big number.
    Very few people experience long term homelessness due to bad luck.

Homelessness

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Is Schizophrenia bad luck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

I donít put much faith in the accuracy of these kind of stats but if they think 25% of homeless suffer from mental illness itís pretty safe to say itís a lot

https://mentalillnesspolicy.org/cons...tally-ill.html

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    You can be an alcoholic drug addict with mental health issues and have a home, but be living pay check to pay check ... then you get hurt at work, or your car breaks, or your dog gets sick, and that uses up your margin and you are out on the street. That last straw is often something unexpected ... or "bad luck".

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I donít put much faith in the accuracy of these kind of stats but if they think 25% of homeless suffer from mental illness itís pretty safe to say itís a lot

https://mentalillnesspolicy.org/cons...tally-ill.html
    There are some studies that investigate the vicious circle between mental health, alcohol, and drugs ... all 4 may be causally related to the others. It just makes it that much harder to get someone back from homelessness.

There are some studies that investigate the vicious circle between mental health, alcohol, and drugs ... all 4 may be causally related to the others. It just makes it that much harder to get someone back from homelessness.
    My brother is schizophrenic and our family isn't prefect but if he was born into a different one he might be homeless or dead. The notion that it all people own choices and you can't help people is BS.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    My brother is schizophrenic and our family isn't prefect but if he was born into a different one he might be homeless or dead. The notion that it all people own choices and you can't help people is BS.
    Several of the addicts I helped were diagnosed bi-polar. It's unclear if they went to drugs to "control" or "cope" with the bi-polar, or if the drugs caused the bi-polarism. But either way, they are largely incapable of "pulling themselves up" on their own. Once they were in functional lives again they were generally fine. People discount how out of control and how fast a "downward spiral" can ruin a life even without bad decisions.

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...cisco-safeway/

Man in isle 10 of Safeway in San Fransisco Poops in isle.

To get a UBI you would have to have an address. A free and clear $1k a month would be significant enough to get most of the homeless off the street on it's own.

In 2017 the SF Bay Area added 74k jobs and 4.8k housing units. This is a 30 year trend. The result is a median home price of $1.2M and homelessness.

New York is doing a MUCH better job of building housing and as a result has less of a homeless issue.

In 2018 LA has added 3 times the number of housing units of any other CA city at 16.5k, but added 67k jobs, and that 16.5k is a huge jump up of the regular trend LA had been managing. The NIMBY responses of the suburbs around LA has resulted in LA rents getting ever more expensive and homelessness continues to be a growing issue.

To drive rent down housing has to exceed new jobs, but CA has a number of issues, high on that list is that living in CA is expensive so labor is expensive so builders need to charge more, so they need to build premium space to make money, also high on that list is density is expensive, but it's even more expensive when it has to be done with earthquakes taken into account as well as the regulatory quagmire of CA zoning and politics.

To get a UBI you would have to have an address. A free and clear $1k a month would be significant enough to get most of the homeless off the street on it's own.
    I think UBI would be more effective for those in the lower and lower middle class, working minimum wage type jobs and falling into poverty traps simply because they dont have a choice. Certainly these people are at risk of becoming homeless and this would give them a cushion. My guess is UBI will not be as effective for those battling addiction and mental illness, they will burn through that money quickly and stay on the street. Maybe that money can be used more as a trust, used on housing and treatment for homeless.
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    2 years ago, this team was worth 650 million dollars. Derrick Rose has played ten games since and now this team is worth a billion dollars. Clearly, it's Tom Thibodeu.

In 2017 the SF Bay Area added 74k jobs and 4.8k housing units. This is a 30 year trend. The result is a median home price of $1.2M and homelessness.

New York is doing a MUCH better job of building housing and as a result has less of a homeless issue.

In 2018 LA has added 3 times the number of housing units of any other CA city at 16.5k, but added 67k jobs, and that 16.5k is a huge jump up of the regular trend LA had been managing. The NIMBY responses of the suburbs around LA has resulted in LA rents getting ever more expensive and homelessness continues to be a growing issue.

To drive rent down housing has to exceed new jobs, but CA has a number of issues, high on that list is that living in CA is expensive so labor is expensive so builders need to charge more, so they need to build premium space to make money, also high on that list is density is expensive, but it's even more expensive when it has to be done with earthquakes taken into account as well as the regulatory quagmire of CA zoning and politics.
    I agree, we need regulations that encourage high volume building of middle class housing. The vast majority of new housing in Chicago is ridiculously expensive and ends up vacant or bought by chinese, russians, and other foreigners stashing their money. We are actually losing population so rents actually went down last year but I can definitely see the problem here and how bad it would be in growing cities
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    2 years ago, this team was worth 650 million dollars. Derrick Rose has played ten games since and now this team is worth a billion dollars. Clearly, it's Tom Thibodeu.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiSox219 View Post
    I agree, we need regulations that encourage high volume building of middle class housing. The vast majority of new housing in Chicago is ridiculously expensive and ends up vacant or bought by chinese, russians, and other foreigners stashing their money. We are actually losing population so rents actually went down last year but I can definitely see the problem here and how bad it would be in growing cities
    What do you mean stashing money? Like money laundering?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast