Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 78

Thread: Homelessness

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    47,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I think in LA part of the problem is that the housing projects are nightmares and life in LA is so expensive it puts a lot of people on the edge of being homeless.

    Mental/drug issues are a significant cause, but it's hard to tell how much of those issues are the result of financial issues and how much are the cause. Also hard to tell how many homeless have mental/drug issues at all since getting that information reliably is expensive too.
    What do you mean by the housing projects are nigthmares?
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    73,610
    Sanders' Housing For All

    Warren's "American Housing and Economic Mobility Act"



    By all accounts, the actual cost of fixing homelessness is less than the economic benefits of fixing it. But god forbid we do anything good for anyone. Nothing more despicable than a handout!! The poors must suffer!
    HELLO

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,388
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    What do you mean by the housing projects are nigthmares?
    That they are often under maintained, and are often controlled by gangs. Not always but a lot.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,388
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Sanders' Housing For All

    Warren's "American Housing and Economic Mobility Act"



    By all accounts, the actual cost of fixing homelessness is less than the economic benefits of fixing it. But god forbid we do anything good for anyone. Nothing more despicable than a handout!! The poors must suffer!
    That last bit seems really harsh. I think you are the only person I've seen say that.

    Sanders wants to spend a quarter of a million per residence? That seems like a LOT of money.

    The issue isn't the price of rent as much as it is the lack of living space. Don't need rent control, need to speed up and simplify the building process.

    Warren doesn't seem to want to do anything new, just put more into existing programs that are mostly failing.
    Last edited by Scoots; 12-06-2019 at 09:51 PM.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,592
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    people that are homeless probably don't have much money, right, unlikely to even have a job. meaning it should be stupid to fine them $1,000 for sleeping on the streets.

    https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...t-sleeping-law



    isn't there a better alternative to fining the homeless. sure you want them to go to shelters instead of the streets, but fining them isn't helping them.
    Good post, agreed.

    Our govt needs to change their basic approach, we need to be more efficient with our legislation. This is the type of stuff that start clogging up the system
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,388
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Good post, agreed.

    Our govt needs to change their basic approach, we need to be more efficient with our legislation. This is the type of stuff that start clogging up the system
    I agree.

    Any ideas on how to get people to move out of the cities so they are cheaper to live in?

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I agree.

    Any ideas on how to get people to move out of the cities so they are cheaper to live in?
    What?
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,866
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    What?
    I guess he’s suggesting that if rather than moving into the cities (as has apparently been the trend in selected cities), more people “with means” moved out of the cities, rents would go down and thereby reduce homelessness.

    Just a guess.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I guess he’s suggesting that if rather than moving into the cities (as has apparently been the trend in selected cities), more people “with means” moved out of the cities, rents would go down and thereby reduce homelessness.

    Just a guess.
    Oh, I dont know. Most people who are homeless are so because they are ****in crack heads, not because rent went up 50 bucks.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,866
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Oh, I dont know. Most people who are homeless are so because they are ****in crack heads, not because rent went up 50 bucks.
    Like I said, just a guess, not an assertion.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Like I said, just a guess, not an assertion.
    Well make better guesses dammit



    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,388
    Homelessness creates crack heads and crack creates homelessness. At least if rent was a lot less there would be less of the former.

    Less than 40% of homeless in the US are drug addicts, the number that are specifically crack addicts is much lower.

    Rent is high because there is more demand for housing than there are residences. Increase supply dramatically or reduce demand and prices go down.

    It's not just about rich people. If all the poor people left the cities the rent would go down too.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Homelessness creates crack heads and crack creates homelessness. At least if rent was a lot less there would be less of the former.

    Less than 40% of homeless in the US are drug addicts, the number that are specifically crack addicts is much lower.

    Rent is high because there is more demand for housing than there are residences. Increase supply dramatically or reduce demand and prices go down.

    It's not just about rich people. If all the poor people left the cities the rent would go down too.
    I dont believe that stat that less than 40% are on something
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,870
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I'm not really sure what you can do about it. But it is always used to attack California but the people who attack California never attack the next 5-6 states for homelessness. Probably because those are deep red states.
    Scoots made a very interesting thread about an issue that is relevant to just about everyone in this country and you turned to partisan politics without any additional contribution and it took all of 6 minutes. Get help.
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    2 years ago, this team was worth 650 million dollars. Derrick Rose has played ten games since and now this team is worth a billion dollars. Clearly, it's Tom Thibodeu.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Homelessness creates crack heads and crack creates homelessness. At least if rent was a lot less there would be less of the former.

    Less than 40% of homeless in the US are drug addicts, the number that are specifically crack addicts is much lower.

    Rent is high because there is more demand for housing than there are residences. Increase supply dramatically or reduce demand and prices go down.

    It's not just about rich people. If all the poor people left the cities the rent would go down too.
    I get what you’re saying but what about Chicago? Our housing is extremely affordable relative to other major cities and we still have a major homeless problem. I just got home, right now there is a person in the hallway of my floor sleeping with a garbage bag full of their belongings.

    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I dont believe that stat that less than 40% are on something
    I’m with you, would be curious what the source data is that says that
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    2 years ago, this team was worth 650 million dollars. Derrick Rose has played ten games since and now this team is worth a billion dollars. Clearly, it's Tom Thibodeu.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •