Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Homelessness

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I think in LA part of the problem is that the housing projects are nightmares and life in LA is so expensive it puts a lot of people on the edge of being homeless.

Mental/drug issues are a significant cause, but it's hard to tell how much of those issues are the result of financial issues and how much are the cause. Also hard to tell how many homeless have mental/drug issues at all since getting that information reliably is expensive too.
    What do you mean by the housing projects are nigthmares?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Sanders' Housing For All

Warren's "American Housing and Economic Mobility Act"

By all accounts, the actual cost of fixing homelessness is less than the economic benefits of fixing it. But god forbid we do anything good for anyone. Nothing more despicable than a handout!! The poors must suffer!
    HELLO

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    What do you mean by the housing projects are nigthmares?
    That they are often under maintained, and are often controlled by gangs. Not always but a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Sanders' Housing For All

Warren's "American Housing and Economic Mobility Act"

By all accounts, the actual cost of fixing homelessness is less than the economic benefits of fixing it. But god forbid we do anything good for anyone. Nothing more despicable than a handout!! The poors must suffer!
    That last bit seems really harsh. I think you are the only person I've seen say that.

Sanders wants to spend a quarter of a million per residence? That seems like a LOT of money.

The issue isn't the price of rent as much as it is the lack of living space. Don't need rent control, need to speed up and simplify the building process.

Warren doesn't seem to want to do anything new, just put more into existing programs that are mostly failing.
    Last edited by Scoots; 12-06-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    people that are homeless probably don't have much money, right, unlikely to even have a job. meaning it should be stupid to fine them $1,000 for sleeping on the streets.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...t-sleeping-law

isn't there a better alternative to fining the homeless. sure you want them to go to shelters instead of the streets, but fining them isn't helping them.
    Good post, agreed.

Our govt needs to change their basic approach, we need to be more efficient with our legislation. This is the type of stuff that start clogging up the system
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Good post, agreed.

Our govt needs to change their basic approach, we need to be more efficient with our legislation. This is the type of stuff that start clogging up the system
    I agree.

Any ideas on how to get people to move out of the cities so they are cheaper to live in?

I agree.

Any ideas on how to get people to move out of the cities so they are cheaper to live in?
    What?

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

What?
    I guess he’s suggesting that if rather than moving into the cities (as has apparently been the trend in selected cities), more people “with means” moved out of the cities, rents would go down and thereby reduce homelessness.

Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I guess he’s suggesting that if rather than moving into the cities (as has apparently been the trend in selected cities), more people “with means” moved out of the cities, rents would go down and thereby reduce homelessness.

Just a guess.
    Oh, I dont know. Most people who are homeless are so because they are ****in crack heads, not because rent went up 50 bucks.

Oh, I dont know. Most people who are homeless are so because they are ****in crack heads, not because rent went up 50 bucks.
    Like I said, just a guess, not an assertion.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Like I said, just a guess, not an assertion.
    Well make better guesses dammit

Homelessness creates crack heads and crack creates homelessness. At least if rent was a lot less there would be less of the former.

Less than 40% of homeless in the US are drug addicts, the number that are specifically crack addicts is much lower.

Rent is high because there is more demand for housing than there are residences. Increase supply dramatically or reduce demand and prices go down.

It's not just about rich people. If all the poor people left the cities the rent would go down too.

Homelessness creates crack heads and crack creates homelessness. At least if rent was a lot less there would be less of the former.

Less than 40% of homeless in the US are drug addicts, the number that are specifically crack addicts is much lower.

Rent is high because there is more demand for housing than there are residences. Increase supply dramatically or reduce demand and prices go down.

It's not just about rich people. If all the poor people left the cities the rent would go down too.
    I dont believe that stat that less than 40% are on something

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I'm not really sure what you can do about it. But it is always used to attack California but the people who attack California never attack the next 5-6 states for homelessness. Probably because those are deep red states.
    Scoots made a very interesting thread about an issue that is relevant to just about everyone in this country and you turned to partisan politics without any additional contribution and it took all of 6 minutes. Get help.
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    2 years ago, this team was worth 650 million dollars. Derrick Rose has played ten games since and now this team is worth a billion dollars. Clearly, it's Tom Thibodeu.

I get what you’re saying but what about Chicago? Our housing is extremely affordable relative to other major cities and we still have a major homeless problem. I just got home, right now there is a person in the hallway of my floor sleeping with a garbage bag full of their belongings.

I dont believe that stat that less than 40% are on something
    I’m with you, would be curious what the source data is that says that
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    2 years ago, this team was worth 650 million dollars. Derrick Rose has played ten games since and now this team is worth a billion dollars. Clearly, it's Tom Thibodeu.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast