Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Homelessness

Quote Originally Posted by ChiSox219 View Post
    Scoots made a very interesting thread about an issue that is relevant to just about everyone in this country and you turned to partisan politics without any additional contribution and it took all of 6 minutes. Get help.
    Yep. I was disappointed that he chose not to respond to my reply to his post that you quoted.

He's a hack.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I dont believe that stat that less than 40% are on something
    Okay. The 40% was drugs, another 30% have alcohol related issues, so your "on something" could then go to 70%, but an important part to understand is that a lot of those issues came AFTER homelessness.

I get what youíre saying but what about Chicago? Our housing is extremely affordable relative to other major cities and we still have a major homeless problem. I just got home, right now there is a person in the hallway of my floor sleeping with a garbage bag full of their belongings.
    It's not simple.

Chicago is more affordable compared to other major cities, but it's still expensive if you are making minimum wage.

Drugs and alcohol consumption waste money and cause bad decisions which can lead to homelessness.

Bad luck, a car breaking down, a simple medical issue, people living on the edge can get pushed over it by simple things.

Once homeless drugs and alcohol use takes a significant jump.

Mental illness can cause bad decisions and limit income which can put people on that edge that can easily lead to homelessness too.

The end result is a bunch of people who are homeless and it's much harder to stop being homeless than to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    It's not simple.

Chicago is more affordable compared to other major cities, but it's still expensive if you are making minimum wage.

Drugs and alcohol consumption waste money and cause bad decisions which can lead to homelessness.

Bad luck, a car breaking down, a simple medical issue, people living on the edge can get pushed over it by simple things.

Mental illness can cause bad decisions and limit income which can put people on that edge that can easily lead to homelessness too.

The end result is a bunch of people who are homeless and it's much harder to stop being homeless than to start.
    I don't know if I agree with everything you are saying in this thread but I appreciate your passion. It is definitely an issue that should get a lot more attention and needs creative solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I don't know if I agree with everything you are saying in this thread but I appreciate your passion. It is definitely an issue that should get a lot more attention and needs creative solutions
    But who will pay for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    But who will pay for it?
    Society. We pay one way or another.

You could have posted a couple sentences and the link rather than all that text. In fact you should never post all the text for copyright reasons.
    saves time. why clink a link and have to read it there when it could already be provided.

I agree.

Any ideas on how to get people to move out of the cities so they are cheaper to live in?
    are there not cities/towns/villes/ect in America that have been basically abandoned? that is where homeless could go.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Either care about all of it like a decent human being or shut the **** up and stop selective outrage based on whether it serves your political purposes.

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome
    the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    saves time. why clink a link and have to read it there when it could already be provided.
    It's against copyright law and the rules of this site. Stop doing it.

are there not cities/towns/villes/ect in America that have been basically abandoned? that is where homeless could go.
    Yes, but they are abandoned because they were not appealing enough to stay there. Now if you can make such towns so appealing people will move to them from the cities you've got something.

It's not simple.

I agree itís a definitely a complex issue.

Minimum wage here is 13/hr. If you can land a full time gig you can comfortably afford rent and regular expenses although youíd probably want a roommate to make it work. I dont know what the availability of full time minimum wage jobs is like but that could maybe be something the government at federal, state, and local levels could help with. Realistically even if there was a job available for every homeless how do you motivate them to show up every day and also avoid the debilitating level of drug abuse? I do think the trend tends to be mental illness leading to drugs leading to homelessness and we should probably attack all 3 of those if we really want to solve the problem.

Society. We pay one way or another.
    True i like how you put it, i never quite thought of it that way. Itís a good argument for UBI
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    2 years ago, this team was worth 650 million dollars. Derrick Rose has played ten games since and now this team is worth a billion dollars. Clearly, it's Tom Thibodeu.

Minimum wage here is 13/hr. If you can land a full time gig you can comfortably afford rent and regular expenses although youíd probably want a roommate to make it work. I dont know what the availability of full time minimum wage jobs is like but that could maybe be something the government at federal, state, and local levels could help with. Realistically even if there was a job available for every homeless how do you motivate them to show up every day and also avoid the debilitating level of drug abuse? I do think the trend tends to be mental illness leading to drugs leading to homelessness and we should probably attack all 3 of those if we really want to solve the problem.

True i like how you put it, i never quite thought of it that way. Itís a good argument for UBI
    There is no good argument for UBI. Just maneuvering the regulations alone tells you the idea is a ****ing nightmare. Let alone the actual concept of the process.

I agree that we need to tackle mental health and drug addiction. We have a lot being invested in fighting drug addiction, but we have totally screwed up mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    There is no good argument for UBI. Just maneuvering the regulations alone tells you the idea is a ****ing nightmare. Let alone the actual concept of the process.
    That's just because government sucks at doing things efficiently. If done right UBI would essentially eliminate huge numbers of government jobs and programs by replacing pretty much all government welfare in one step that nobody has to qualify for.

It's against copyright law and the rules of this site. Stop doing it.

Yes, but they are abandoned because they were not appealing enough to stay there. Now if you can make such towns so appealing people will move to them from the cities you've got something.
    so now the rules are important, please, people troll here on a regular basis.

what does it matter if places are appealing or not to people that are homeless. they don't have a home and should be happy to go literally anywhere that can provide shelter.
    Either care about all of it like a decent human being or shut the **** up and stop selective outrage based on whether it serves your political purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    so now the rules are important, please, people troll here on a regular basis.

what does it matter if places are appealing or not to people that are homeless. they don't have a home and should be happy to go literally anywhere that can provide shelter.
    So ... you want to give them titles to homes free and clear?

So ... you want to give them titles to homes free and clear?
    what does America do with the thousands of new immigrants/refugees? why give new people free stuff but not give the same thing to homeless American citizens. how about taking care of your own.

if there are buildings/houses abandoned then I'm guessing nobody is returning.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast