Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nuggets - Who could they add to help them get over the hump?

Who could the Nuggets feasibly attain to help them get over.

They have trade chips and prospects in MPJ, G. Harris, Juancho, Beasley, picks?

They have a big expiring in Milsap, but it appears he's the type of big they need next to Joker, especially on defense.

Or do y'all think they should stay Pat?

I don't think they will keep Beasley (long term), and Mason is also a solid expiring contract. They have roster flexibility. Even Gary Harris isn't untouchable. They are arguably the deepest team in the league, maybe they should consolidate?

DeRozan

As long as they keep Murray and Jokic

If you're committed to Murray/Milsap/Jokic as your 3 and developing Porter Jr, your best bet is replacing Harris with a better outside shooter who doesn't need the ball and still plays defense. Justin Holiday was very gettable this summer and ended up signing a 1yr deal with my Pacers at the last minute for less than the MLE. The way he's playing that definitely won't happen next summer. He's been great for us in exactly the kind of role I think Denver would want, but he's on a 1yr deal and will get squeezed out by the long term deals to Jeremy Lamb, TJ Warren and Edmond Sumner. Once Oladipo is back there won't be minutes. Someone should make him a starter or 6th man.

But my honest opinion on Denver is you don't alter a #1 rated defense with basically a 75% win rate.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    But my honest opinion on Denver is you don't alter a #1 rated defense with basically a 75% win rate.
    Do you think the regular season success can translate to the playoffs? I am thinking a guy like Chauncey Billups would help in tight and pressure situations and to help close out games/series. They are still young and someone might emerge into that role, but last years playoffs has people skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    DeRozan

As long as they keep Murray and Jokic
    I think they are an unproven playoff team and Derozan isn't a guy that would elevate them when it matters. I don't think anyone is worried about if the Nuggets can handle the regular season, even then not sure Derozan will help them get more w's vs. gary harris who is a nice part of a good defense and has better shooting skills. I think his iso/ft game isn't enough to off-set his determent. His skills kind of overlaps Murray's, as well.

Prime Nikola Jokic

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    Do you think the regular season success can translate to the playoffs? I am thinking a guy like Chauncey Billups would help in tight and pressure situations and to help close out games/series. They are still young and someone might emerge into that role, but last years playoffs has people skeptical.
    I don't understand that question. When was the last time a team made it to the Finals who wasn't top 4 in their conference? Hakeem's Rockets? Regular season record is a prerequisite for a good postseason run, and a team that plays defense is built for the postseason when defenses are allowed to be more disruptive by the refs.

If you've built your team around an offensive center and are looking for someone else to be your closer, there is a fundamental problem with your team.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    I don't understand that question. When was the last time a team made it to the Finals who wasn't top 4 in their conference? Hakeem's Rockets? Regular season record is a prerequisite for a good postseason run, and a team that plays defense is built for the postseason when defenses are allowed to be more disruptive by the refs.

If you've built your team around an offensive center and are looking for someone else to be your closer, there is a fundamental problem with your team.
    Coaching and ability to close matters too for a top 4 team. Look at the Raps before Kawhi/Nurse, and Bud coached teams in the EC. There are teams that struggle to get over the hump with a top 4 seeding as well. OKC with KD made it to the finals only once. The stats are nice right now, but who would really pick the Nuggets as a unit to shut someone down in the playoffs?

Nuggets are one of those type of teams whee people don't trust the regular season metrics to translate. There have always been teams like that. Not saying stats aren't reliable and point to a certain trend, but there are always teams that don't live up to a trend. Nuggets have to prove their worth on the court under pressure situations in games that really matter.

First off, Denver's a contender. Experience alone could be enough to get them over the hump. But they lack a good combo forward. I would go for one of those — maybe Gordon Hayward, Justise Winslow or Danilo Gallinari.

Jamal Murray has another level that i'd like to see him sustain this season but what's up with the joker? He's been off lately.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    First off, Denver's a contender. Experience alone could be enough to get them over the hump. But they lack a good combo forward. I would go for one of those — maybe Gordon Hayward, Justise Winslow or Danilo Gallinari.
    No doubt, experience might elevate someone. They are a young contender.

I think they are too deep and with some trade-able expiring and prospects and enticing chips not to at least look into getting another piece.

Beasley, Juancho, Plumlee, Milsap all expiring and might not be a nugget next year so do you ride it out or consolidate for another piece since Denver isn't a big free agent destination and they are probably over the cap anyway (didn't check that part)?

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    Jamal Murray has another level that i'd like to see him sustain this season but what's up with the joker? He's been off lately.
    Maybe him and Gasol need some load management after the fiba world cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    Maybe him and Gasol need some load management after the fiba world cup.
    Perhaps, Jokic always looks like he's out of shape though.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    Perhaps, Jokic always looks like he's out of shape though.
    Yeah maybe needs a diet change. You would think Fiba would keep him in shape but he looks a lil bigger vs. last year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/n...u-think-it-is/

i just clicked on the link above and he claims that adding weight (15 lbs) will help him not get pushed around, because that's what happened when he lost weight he said.

I don't know, maybe the trade-off is his efficiency and effective scoring.
    Last edited by Heediot; 12-06-2019 at 06:22 PM.

The Nuggets are a legit all-star level player away from winning the championship. Don't let the regular season fool you, when its crunch time Nikola Jokic is not that type of player, and Jamal Murray is not that good yet.

Siakam, Paul George come to mind, but there's really no realistic chance they'd get either of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast