Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 287
  1. #211
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    13,300
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I dont hate it as long he gets the right backers. Not to mention, he's another guy who is a Met's fan so there would be a vested interest in the team besides the financial one. A-Rod seems like a smart guy, he knows the analytics, etc.

    Yeah, I know he doesn't have the best reputation from his playing days but if it happened, i wouldn't hate it. Just get the Wilpons out.
    Alex strikes me as an idiot. Maybe he understands baseball, but as an owner I only want him hiring baseball people to run the organization and then he can **** off. I don't want someone who thinks they are smarter than they really are, and that's exactly A-Rod.

    But whatever, as long as the Wilpons are gone, I'm good.

  2. #212
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    36,247
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Alex strikes me as an idiot. Maybe he understands baseball, but as an owner I only want him hiring baseball people to run the organization and then he can **** off. I don't want someone who thinks they are smarter than they really are, and that's exactly A-Rod.

    But whatever, as long as the Wilpons are gone, I'm good.
    The thing I get from A-Rod is that he's an insecure diva. I don't think he's stupid by any means. I just think he's not comfortable in his own skin or at least he used to be that way. Since his playing days are over, he seems a lot more comfortable with who he is.

    Of course that's the main goal. You want an owner who is hands off and puts the right people in charge of baseball matters. That's first and foremost. I think A-Rod and co. would do that. I just want no part of Fred, Jeff or Saul owning this team anymore or being around in any capacity.

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    45,925
    Although Arod made a boatload of cash and supposedly invested it wisely, he doesnt have Steven Cohen money. Not even close. The best he could do is head up a syndicate to buy the team and then presumably he would be the President of it all.

    And then God help us.

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    13,300
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The thing I get from A-Rod is that he's an insecure diva. I don't think he's stupid by any means. I just think he's not comfortable in his own skin or at least he used to be that way. Since his playing days are over, he seems a lot more comfortable with who he is.

    Of course that's the main goal. You want an owner who is hands off and puts the right people in charge of baseball matters. That's first and foremost. I think A-Rod and co. would do that. I just want no part of Fred, Jeff or Saul owning this team anymore or being around in any capacity.
    He's definitely a diva, maybe that's the vibe I'm confusing for stupidity. Or maybe there's not much difference. Either way, I don't trust him to be hands-off...and maybe that's an irrational hope anyway.

    I don't like A-Rod, so I'd rather somebody else but the team. That's my take.

  5. #215
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,952
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Alex strikes me as an idiot. Maybe he understands baseball, but as an owner I only want him hiring baseball people to run the organization and then he can **** off. I don't want someone who thinks they are smarter than they really are, and that's exactly A-Rod.

    But whatever, as long as the Wilpons are gone, I'm good.
    This will be one of the few instances where I would say, dont sell wilpons. It hurts typing that.

    Never liked the guy. It genuinely doesnt inspire confidence that he will be any better than the wilpons. With cohen, the guy was filthy rich and I was confident that with the right people the money would be spent wisely.

    It doesnt help that I can't stand a-roid either.

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    65,782

    Wilpons to Sell Team (Post # 134, Team to be put up for auction)

    Iíve always liked A-Rod tbh.

    Iíve enjoyed having him on broadcasts.

    As far as buying the Mets, I would prefer someone else, but I wouldnít be against him either.

  7. #217
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toms River, NJ
    Posts
    9,197
    Anything is better than the wilpons but not too excited about someone who canít afford to buy to whole team. I know those options are limited but if itís a group of investors will they spend like a billionaire? Seems less likely.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #218
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,940
    Thereís only so many people or groups of people who can afford an asset like the Mets. And they just all watched this fiasco play out with Fred and Jeff blowing up a sale in no small part due to their ridiculous demand to keep control even after selling - for the 2nd time in 10 years.

    Iím hoping thereís a solid buyer out there who sees the value and just wants the team. But I wouldnít be shocked if potentially really good buyers were just scared off from dealing with the Wilpons and MLB.

    What person with that amount of money wants to deal with this sort of nonsense at that price tag? Nothing short of complete and immediate control of everything - with immediate renegotiation of the awful SNY deal is what Iíd expect a legitimate buyer to demand.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    100,938
    The SNY thing is not happening.

  10. #220
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    49,502
    They are stuck for the foreseeable future with that contract.

    But SNY or whoever, is going to have pony up billions of dollars the next go round.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  11. #221
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,940
    They may not get it but itís the kind of thing Iíd ask for in a negotiation for the most expensive price ever paid for an MLB team.

    Why wouldnít you ask for more TV money in the NY market if youíre gonna shell out billions to buy the team?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  12. #222
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    49,502
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    They may not get it but itís the kind of thing Iíd ask for in a negotiation for the most expensive price ever paid for an MLB team.

    Why wouldnít you ask for more TV money in the NY market if youíre gonna shell out billions to buy the team?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Comcast and Charter communications own 35%, so the new owner would have to get them to agree to renegotiate. And why would they, what is their incentive?


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  13. #223
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Comcast and Charter communications own 35%, so the new owner would have to get them to agree to renegotiate. And why would they, what is their incentive?
    I realize itís unlikely but the other 2/3 is Wilpon owned and they are holding on to the company right?

    Quite frankly Iíd make it plain that Iíd like a new deal or maybe the Mets will be looking for a new network when the deal expires. 10 years goes by quick and without Mets games what is the actual value of SNY?

    Maybe thatís what Cohen wanted. Who knows? But there is a major disconnect between the lousy TV deal and the price tag on the team in the largest American media market. I imagine people have to be asking ďwhyĒ the team should cost so much if the TV deal isnít better.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  14. #224
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,940

    Wilpons to Sell Team (Post # 134, Team to be put up for auction)

    Nm
    Last edited by GottaBelieve; 02-15-2020 at 03:33 PM.

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  15. #225
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    36,247
    Cohen might not be out the bidding yet.

    https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/unrele...sale-wants-sny

    Not surprisingly he wants majority stake in SNY. I'm sure that was one of Jeffy boy hangups when its impossible for me to believe that someone is buying this team without also wanting to buy the Wilpons 65% stake in SNY.

    At the end of the day, the Wilpons might not have a ton of other options.

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •