Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    From all reports he keeps his hands off the hockey team. He's let Sather, Gorton and now John Davidson run it. You can tell. The Rangers made the playoffs 11 out of 12 seasons from 2005-2006 to 2016-2017, won a President's trophy and got to a Stanley Cup in that time. And after 2 years of rebuilding the Rangers are 4 points out of a playoff spot this year.

No way that would have happened if Dolan was meddling. You can see that by how irrelevant the Knicks have been since Van Gundy left.
    The Rangers had the tremendous good fortune of having the best goalie of the generation tending the net the last 15 years. He's the sole reason for their sustained relevance over that period of time, and his total lack of Stanley Cup championships proves how incompetent the leadership at MSG has been. They benefited primarily from one incredibly stupid trade with the Canadians for some reason agreeing to take on Scott Gomez (who became the only forward in NHL history to go a year without scoring a goal) in exchange for Ryan McDonagh, but the talent around Lundqvist has been otherwise unexceptional.

Which is to say, even when you give Dolan's team the best ****ing player in the world, he isn't competent enough to hire the people who can turn that into championships.

No. And Stuna with more revisionist history: James Dolan is the worst owner in NBA history. He has negatively impacted every aspect of the organization. It wasn't just one trade, he got involved in every trade. Most recently he allow Porzingis to be traded FOR NOTHING on the false belief that we could bring Kevin Durant to New York. This guy is repellent to wins. He would be the worst thing to happen to the Mets since Fred stole the team from Doubleday.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    The Rangers had the tremendous good fortune of having the best goalie of the generation tending the net the last 15 years. He's the sole reason for their sustained relevance over that period of time, and his total lack of Stanley Cup championships proves how incompetent the leadership at MSG has been. They benefited primarily from one incredibly stupid trade with the Canadians for some reason agreeing to take on Scott Gomez (who became the only forward in NHL history to go a year without scoring a goal) in exchange for Ryan McDonagh, but the talent around Lundqvist has been otherwise unexceptional.

Which is to say, even when you give Dolan's team the best ****ing player in the world, he isn't competent enough to hire the people who can turn that into championships.

No. And Stuna with more revisionist history: James Dolan is the worst owner in NBA history. He has negatively impacted every aspect of the organization. It wasn't just one trade, he got involved in every trade. Most recently he allow Porzingis to be traded FOR NOTHING on the false belief that we could bring Kevin Durant to New York. This guy is repellent to wins. He would be the worst thing to happen to the Mets since Fred stole the team from Doubleday.
    FoC endorses this post.

Who do you think drafted that goalie? Glen Sather. The guy who Dolan hired. It wasn't just McDonagh either. The Rangers had a defensive core of Girardi, Stralman, Staal, then Klein (after Stralman) etc which may have been the best top 4 in the league in terms of defensive defensemen. That's a ridiculous stance btw. In a capped league, its incredibly difficult to make the playoffs 11 out of 12 years. The biggest problem has been the Ranger's ability to develop centers but that's a thing still to this day.

The Rangers have had some really good talent around Lundqvist. Do we forget Jagr, Gaborik, Nash?

Its not easy to win a Stanley Cup. Look how long it took Ovechkin. The Lightning tied the best record in NHL history last year, had the Vezina winner, the Hart trophy winner, and got swept in the first round. Its the hardest championship to win in professional sports. That's just luck, chance, etc. Sure, different moves could have been made but that's every team. Incompetence is the Oilers having McDavid and Draisaitl and all those #1 picks and making the playoffs once with those guys.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-23-2020 at 11:22 PM.

Btw who wouldn't take the Mets making the playoffs 11 out of 12 seasons? And then rebuilding a team for 2 years before being competitive again. Sign me up. The Rangers have the best farm system in hockey, arguably the best young goaltender in hockey (Igor Shesterkin) and some great young prospects btw.

No. And Stuna with more revisionist history: James Dolan is the worst owner in NBA history. He has negatively impacted every aspect of the organization. It wasn't just one trade, he got involved in every trade. Most recently he allow Porzingis to be traded FOR NOTHING on the false belief that we could bring Kevin Durant to New York. This guy is repellent to wins.

This is true. Sometimes you don't hear about meddling until years and years have past but he's involved a good amount.

He told Phil (horrible hire or not) that he had full autonomy....except the medical staff.....Oh, and Melo stays... Re-sign him with a no trade clause too..... But your the boss.

When he heard Melo didn't want to play the 4 anymore, even though they had their best season in decades with him at the 4, he pushed for the Bargs deal so Melo could go back to the 3.

He was told by everyone in his basketball department to stay away from Amare and just save the cap space because Amare's knee had 2-3 years left and overruled them and overpaid.

Added another 1st rounder and young Center to the Melo deal when his GM told him to be patient and walk away.

Stopped Phil from trading KP by firing him. Overruled a trade for Kyle Lowry because he was embarrassed with how much he gave to Urjii for Melo years before.

A lot of other stuff like hiring a firm that advised him not to bring back Glenwald as GM even after that great season. He recently hired another firm to help the team's optics

He's involved a lot more than people think

No one is arguing his Knicks meddling. That's clear. Obviously James thinks he could moonlight as a basketball GM much like Jerry Jones thinks he is a NFL GM. I don't see or hear about nearly the same involvement with the Rangers and they've have a really good run of success until the last 2 seasons.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-24-2020 at 03:18 AM.

Who do you think drafted that goalie? Glen Sather. The guy who Dolan hired.
    Right, here's and another story on how incompetent Dolan is as an owner. Sather, knowing I assume how much os a baffoon this man is, welcomed him into his hockey world. Let him in on what he wanted to do and what he thinks about putting together and running a hockey franchise. He even pretended to care about what Dolan thought about the intricacies of hockey and how he felt about running a hockey team.

Not saying he kissed up but more tried to befriend the billionaire who inherited this fortune- he was born on 3rd base and believed he hit a triple-- and it worked well for him in that he was afforded a ton of patience from Fredo.

Zeke was just as smart in knowing he could make him his friend and last forever, he would still be around if not for the sex trial

No one is arguing his Knicks meddling. That's clear. Obviously Jim thinks he could moonlight as a basketball GM much like Jerry Jones thinks he is a NFL GM. I don't see or hear about nearly the same involvement with the Rangers and they've have a really good run of success until the last 2 seasons.
    He grew up on Long Island an Islanders and Knicks fan.

He was more a drunken bandwagon Isles fan than a true hockey guy. whereas he always felt he knew a little bit about the game of basketball and thought combining what he knew with having top dollars would make him successful

Could it work here? Maybe.

All I know is every 3-4 years I think stuff is finally changing with the Knicks and then my optimism is shot down again with this guy.

Going on 21 years since he walked in the room and told Checkets he had to fire either Grunfeld or Van Gundy. Then he fired Checkets, followed be Van Gundy quittting

Quote Originally Posted by Daaaarryyl View Post
    He grew up on Long Island an Islanders and Knicks fan.

He was more a drunken bandwagon Isles fan than a true hockey guy. whereas he always felt he knew a little bit about the game of basketball and thought combining what he knew with having top dollars would make him successful

Could it work here? Maybe.

All I know is every 3-4 years I think stuff is finally changing with the Knicks and then my optimism is shot down again with this guy.

Going on 21 years since he walked in the room and told Checkets he had to fire either Grunfeld or Van Gundy. Then he fired Checkets, followed be Van Gundy quittting
    Give me Dolan's money and I'll take my chances. As things open up, there are going to be more billionaires in this race. Maybe the Dolan stuff is just smoke. Maybe he's only interested in SNY. Who knows? I'm not of the theory that Dolan can't own a successful franchise. He has. The Rangers are.

Unfortunately its ruined by his involvement with the Knicks. Not to mention basketball has a lot more eyes on it than hockey. I get why fans would be sour on Dolan owning the Mets. I don't think he would run them into the ground though because i dont think he has the same interest in baseball that he does basketball.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-23-2020 at 11:43 PM.

Who do you think drafted that goalie? Glen Sather. The guy who Dolan hired. It wasn't just McDonagh either.
    First of all, Glen Sather was hired as the head coach, and then promptly failed his way into the general manager's role, and then to president. He's Steve Mills on the hockey side. And look, he was a good coach in the 80s, so he actually had bonafides, but come on. Henrik Lundqvist was the 205th overall pick in the draft. Finding a gem in the third round, you're a genius; find a HOFer in the seventh, you got lucky. Sather probably hadn't even seen tape on the guy.

The Rangers had a defensive core of Girardi, Stralman, Staal, then Klein (after Stralman) etc which may have been the best top 4 in the league in terms of defensive defensemen. That's a ridiculous stance btw. In a capped league, its incredibly difficult to make the playoffs 11 out of 12 years. The biggest problem has been the Ranger's ability to develop centers but that's a thing still to this day.
    All of that was due to Lundqvist. All of it. They had some tough defenses, but they never had a complete team to put around Hank.

The Rangers have had some really good talent around Lundqvist. Do we forget Jagr, Gaborik, Nash?
    Yes, 80 year old Jagr, and Concussionhead Nash who folded like origami in the playoffs. Gaborik was genuinely great in 2012, but that's the standout. Hank carried those teams.

Its not easy to win a Stanley Cup. Look how long it took Ovechkin. The Lightning tied the best record in NHL history last year, had the Vezina winner, the Hart trophy winner, and got swept in the first round. Its the hardest championship to win in professional sports. That's just luck, chance, etc. Sure, different moves could have been made but that's every team. Incompetence is the Oilers having McDavid and Draisaitl and all those #1 picks and making the playoffs once with those guys.
    President's Cup winners have a pretty terrible record winning cups, if I'm not mistaken. It's hard to win but the Rangers had the best goalie in hockey for more than a decade and only made one Finals in which they were uncompetitive..

Also, the Lightning were historically bad in that series. I don't think that's ever happened before either. Can't point to the most extreme outlier as to why the Rangers never won the Cup.

Dolan blows. It takes more than money to win in MLB, and I don't trust him to spend it well. He has never spent it well in the NBA.
    Last edited by JoeGamer81; 02-24-2020 at 12:01 AM.

And he spends money on the Rangers and they've been one of the most consistently good teams in hockey the last 15 years.
    Lindqvist. No other reason.

Look, even if you want to pretend it's Sather's doing, he's only the guy because Jim likes him. Same for Mills, who had to be a failure for like 15 years before he finally got fired. Are you gonna trust Dolan to fall in love with the right GM? Because that guy isn't going anywhere once he gets hired.

First of all, Glen Sather was hired as the head coach, and then promptly failed his way into the general manager's role, and then to president. He's Steve Mills on the hockey side. And look, he was a good coach in the 80s, so he actually had bonafides, but come on. Henrik Lundqvist was the 205th overall pick in the draft. Finding a gem in the third round, you're a genius; find a HOFer in the seventh, you got lucky. Sather probably hadn't even seen tape on the guy.

All of that was due to Lundqvist. All of it. They never had some tough defenses, but they never had a complete team to put around Hank.

Yes, 80 year old Jagr, and Concussionhead Nash who folded like origami in the playoffs. Gaborik was genuinely great in 2012, but that's the standout. Hank carried those teams.

President's Cup winners have a pretty terrible record winning cups, if I'm not mistaken. It's hard to win but the Rangers had the best goalie in hockey for more than a decade and only made one Finals in which they were uncompetitive..

Dolan blows. It takes more than money to win in MLB, and I don't trust him to spend it well. He has never spent it well in the NBA.
    I'm aware of Sather being the head coach. I've been following the Rangers since 92'. Lmao, how ridiculous. A GM and president that was at the helm of a team that went to the playoffs 11 of 12 years and you're comparing him to Steve Mills who is in his time with the team (on the player development and executive side) has made the playoffs 4 times in 20+ years of being an on and off executive. Mills is a disaster. Sather was not.

Finding a gem in the 7th round is not luck. Crister Rockstrom (one of the best European scouts in the NHL) scouted him extensively and had him as the best junior goaltender in Europe.

Not all of that was due to Lundqvist. The Rangers had a very good core of defensemen. Their top 4 was as good as anyone in the league.

An 80 year old Jagr who had 329 points in 277 games with the Rangers and was runner up for MVP in 2005-2006 so no.

He wasn't the best goalie for a decade. Quick had years and playoff runs where he was clearly better. Pekka Rinne has been just as excellent as well. Not to mention, Rask, Price, Bishop have all been in that discussion earlier in the decade.

No one is disputing his NBA ineptitude. It doesn't change the fact that he's also owned a successful franchise in the Rangers and has shown a propensity to spend.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-24-2020 at 08:15 AM.

Without turning this into a Rangers or a Knicks forum I think we can all agree Dolan's MSG teams have largely been a failure and its likely his theoretical Met team wouldn't fare a heck of a lot better.

Lindqvist. No other reason.

Look, even if you want to pretend it's Sather's doing, he's only the guy because Jim likes him. Same for Mills, who had to be a failure for like 15 years before he finally got fired. Are you gonna trust Dolan to fall in love with the right GM? Because that guy isn't going anywhere once he gets hired.
    It wasn't only Lundqvist. Part of the reason why Lundqvist was so good was because of the defensemen he had in front of him, the system Tortorella had (where Lundqvist faced significantly less shots than other goalies), and Vigneault system of cycling the puck, the emphasis on puck possession and speed.

I don't know what Dolan is going to do. John Davidson who is president of the Rangers is one of the smartest guys in the business. Both St. Louis and Columbus were very good in his tenures as GM and president. Gorton has done a great job putting together the best farm system in hockey.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-24-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Without turning this into a Rangers or a Knicks forum I think we can all agree Dolan's MSG teams have largely been a failure and its likely his theoretical Met team wouldn't fare a heck of a lot better.
    The Knicks have, yes. It depends on his involvement. That's my point. If he handles the Mets like he does the Knicks, yeah I don't want him as an owner. If he handles them like he has the Rangers, I have no issues with it.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast