Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Dolan would be an unmitigated disaster, the only man I can think of who would be worse than the Wilpons. I don't know that he doesn't interfere with the Rangers, I just know that he doesn't interfere as much. I have no faith in his ability to choose the right guy, or to keep his hands out of it. He's a buffoon who thinks he's a genius. No thank you.
    From all reports he keeps his hands off the hockey team. He's let Sather, Gorton and now John Davidson run it. You can tell. The Rangers made the playoffs 11 out of 12 seasons from 2005-2006 to 2016-2017, won a President's trophy and got to a Stanley Cup in that time. And after 2 years of rebuilding the Rangers are 4 points out of a playoff spot this year.

No way that would have happened if Dolan was meddling. You can see that by how irrelevant the Knicks have been since Van Gundy left.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-23-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I get how every Met fan is so anxious is see the Wilpons go but you have to step back and see who they're going to be replaced with. I expressed my reservations about Cohen but even he'd be heads and shoulders above Dolan on my list of preferences.

I'm old enough to remember when the Fred Wilpon was once looked upon as a hero when he stood on the podium alongside Nelson Doubleday at a press conference announcing him as the new President of and minority owner of the Mets after Nelson's publishing company bought the team from the dreaded deRoulets. Lorinda deRoulet, the daughter of beloved Mets founder Joan Payson, was the owner who once wondered at a board meeting why it was necessary to spend so much money on new baseballs. She also nixed a trade for a promising shortstop named Dickie Thon because, in her opinion, he just looked too young.

Yeah.

But it didn't sure take long for Fred to move from hero to villain status. Just something to keep in mind before we all start cumming in our jeans when the name of the next billionaire comes us as a prospective owner of the Mets.
    The problem is the Wilpons are broke or they feign insolvency. They are only near the luxury tax this year because they want an attractive product to sell. I'm not sold they would keep that going if their intention was to continually keep the team. This is re-investment in the hopes of someone buying an bullish asset. Same reason for the new clubhouses in Florida.

Whatever the case is, it would be a change of pace to have an owner with incredibly deep pockets. Someone who isn't afraid to spend and doesn't cap this team on what they can do with their roster. Someone who isn't afraid to make big splashes when the right players come around, someone who keeps them near or over the luxury tax year after year while having a competent FO run a perennial contender.

The Mets can do that. Yes, they don't have the monetary resources the Dodgers or Yankees do but they're not barely scrapping by either.

I have no issue with Dolan (as long as he doesn't meddle) because, guess what? For all the **** he takes, both the Knicks and Rangers are always above the soft cap (in regards to the Knicks) and at the cap with the Rangers. He's never shown a fear to spend money. I want an owner who is willing to do those things.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-23-2020 at 02:47 PM.

As much as I hate Dolan, as long as he spends money on the team, who cares? With the salary cap in the NBA, his deep pockets are no advantage whatsoever. Dolan canít get superstars to play for the Knicks because every team with cap space can offer the same amount of $$ the Knicks can and no one wants to leave their situation to play for a perennial losing team.

But in MLB, being able to spend a lot would raise the ceiling of this team considerably. MLB FAs are basically like hired guns. Superstars will come to the Mets if they money is there.

Obviously the biggest thing would be hire a GM that knows what he is doing, but lets say the Mets are winning and doing well? There would be no reason to get rid of Brodie for example.

Not only are the Wilpons a joke, but they donít spend what they should on the team like they did pre-Madoff. They are the worst possible owners for this NY team.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    As much as I hate Dolan, as long as he spends money on the team, who cares? With the salary cap in the NBA, his deep pockets are no advantage whatsoever. Dolan canít get superstars to play for the Knicks because every team with cap space can offer the same amount of $$ the Knicks can and no one wants to leave their situation to play for a perennial losing team.

But in MLB, being able to spend a lot would raise the ceiling of this team considerably. MLB FAs are basically like hired guns. Superstars will come to the Mets if they money is there.

Obviously the biggest thing would be hire a GM that knows what he is doing, but lets say the Mets are winning and doing well? There would be no reason to get rid of Brodie for example.

Not only are the Wilpons a joke, but they donít spend what they should on the team like they did pre-Madoff. They are the worst possible owners for this NY team.
    Dolan spends money on the Knicks and look at the hole he's dug them into.

And he spends money on the Rangers and they've been one of the most consistently good teams in hockey the last 15 years.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-23-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Wilpons to Sell Team (Post # 134, Team to be put up for auction)

The only time I can recall Dolan actually meddling with player operations was when the Knicks basically traded for future All-Star and NBA Finals champion Kyle Lowry. They backed out last second because Dolan thought the Raptors team president was trying to bamboozle the Knicks again after they dealt with him on the Carmelo Anthony trade from Denver when he was the GM there. Turns out the Lowry trade would have helped the Knicks very much.

Aside from that, Dolan just writes the checks. And every owner in the NBA does the same so heís not special in that regard. In MLB, that would give the Mets an advantage they havenít been able to utilize.

The only time I can recall Dolan actually meddling with player operations was when the Knicks basically traded for future All-Star and NBA Finals champion Kyle Lowry. They backed out last second because Dolan thought the Raptors team president was trying to bamboozle the Knicks again after they dealt with him on the Carmelo Anthony trade from Denver when he was the GM there. Turns out the Lowry trade would have helped the Knicks very much.

Aside from that, Dolan just writes the checks. And every owner in the NBA does the same so heís not special in that regard. In MLB, that would give the Mets an advantage they havenít been able to utilize.
    Dolan has made a lot of mistakes with the Knicks. Hiring Steve Mills, hiring Isiah Thomas, hiring Phil Jackson, pushing to draft guys like Frederick Weis, Michael Sweetney, making that trade for Andrea Bargnani, etc. When his hands are in the pot, its trouble for the team he's running.

That said, if he keeps his hands clean like he does with the Rangers, the team succeeds. At the end of the day, its about the fact that he's super rich and he can afford this team luxuries they don't have with the Wilpons.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-23-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Thatís because he has voted horrible people to run that team.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Thatís because he has voted horrible people to run that team.
    And why would that be any different if he took over the Mets?
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Dolan has made a lot of mistakes with the Knicks. Hiring Steve Mills, hiring Isiah Thomas, hiring Phil Jackson, pushing to draft guys like Frederick Weis, Michael Sweetney, making that trade for Andrea Bargnani, etc. When his hands are in the pot, its trouble for the team he's running.

That said, if he keeps his hands clean like he does with the Rangers, the team succeeds. At the end of the day, its about the fact that he's super rich and he can afford this team luxuries they don't have with the Wilpons.
    Hiring Phil Jackson was the worst decision imaginable, except from the perspective of the Phil Jackson estate. Hiring Isiah Thomas was the worst decision imaginable, except from the perspective of the Isiah Thomas Estate.

See why I'm not anxious for him to take over the Mets?
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post

Yeah but heís not making player moves. All those those guys havenít gotten the job done. The Knicks have just made awful decisions. Even when they strike gold with Porzingis for example, they trade him and other productive players for false hope and virtually nothing in return.

The Mets would definitely have more sustained success with Dolan than the Wilpons, or at the very least, the downspells would be less frequent. Worst case weíd probably be like the Angels, but at least they get to keep the best player in MLB and add another MVP-caliber player in Rendon.

And why would that be any different if he took over the Mets?
    I dunno

Metswon has mention how he has stayed away from the Rangers.

Basketball seems to be his one obsession and like baby Huey he canít help but meddle.

Would he do the same for baseball? I dunno.

If Iím not mistaken, I believe Dolan has a unique and very long standing relationship with Glen Sather that dates back decades. It is probably why he allowed Sather to run the Rangers - and thatís why they have been consistently good for so long.

His body of work with the Knicks is probably much more revealing of his own true tendencies and abilities as an involved owner.

I see no reason to believe heíd be any better with the Mets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry. He's got this.

Hiring Phil Jackson was the worst decision imaginable, except from the perspective of the Phil Jackson estate. Hiring Isiah Thomas was the worst decision imaginable, except from the perspective of the Isiah Thomas Estate.

See why I'm not anxious for him to take over the Mets?
    Because he's had no input on the Rangers side (from almost every account those who write or are close to Ranger sources) and the Rangers have been very good. He's also the guy who hired Sather, Gorton and now John Davidson. It seems like when Dolan is just writing the checks, its fine and that's the biggest thing. He has deep pockets.

Yeah but heís not making player moves. All those those guys havenít gotten the job done. The Knicks have just made awful decisions. Even when they strike gold with Porzingis for example, they trade him and other productive players for false hope and virtually nothing in return.

The Mets would definitely have more sustained success with Dolan than the Wilpons, or at the very least, the downspells would be less frequent. Worst case weíd probably be like the Angels, but at least they get to keep the best player in MLB and add another MVP-caliber player in Rendon.
    The problem is his influence. If an owner wants something bad enough, he has the ultimate leverage because he is the last voice on the matter. That's where Dolan has gotten in trouble. If he was do that with the Mets, it would be like Jeff Wilpon with more money and more meddling. That said, I don't believe Dolan would do those things because I dont think he's interested in baseball and hockey like he is basketball.

To him, its presumably just a way to make more money. At this point, i'll take anyone over the Wilpons. The Wilpons act insolvent and then on top of that, meddle. You can't find a worse combination than that.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-23-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast