Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 58 of 79 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 856 to 870 of 1177
  1. #856
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    51,594
    Money may not buy you love, but it can certainly buy you a championship.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  2. #857
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    105,725
    It may not win you a WS but is sure as hell gives you a chance year in and year out.

  3. #858
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,754
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Cohen bought the Mets because he prizes valuable assets. He owns a Picasso. His assets gain value under his watch.

    Heís also a Mets fan and would like to see them win it all with a rich *** Mets fan (himself) leading the way.

    Heíd be an excellent owner with motivation to see this thing through to years of excellence.

    Iíll just believe it has happened when the ink dries on the owners signing off.

    Iím a Mets fan after all.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If the Wilpons taught us anything it's that winning baseball games and the value of an MLB franchise aren't necessarily synonymous.

    They ran the F ing team into the ground and still sold it for a record price. Enjoy the dream while it lasts.

  4. #859
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,378
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    If the Wilpons taught us anything it's that winning baseball games and the value of an MLB franchise aren't necessarily synonymous.

    They ran the F ing team into the ground and still sold it for a record price. Enjoy the dream while it lasts.
    You're being objectively non-objective with respect to Cohen here. I have no glorified view of a hedge fund manager who was essentially under SEC investigation for a decade before he finally ponied up a billion dollars (fun fact, my sister has worked as global chief compliance officer for several international hedge funds over the years and they all know what Cohen was up to was skirting the rules for years.

    All that said, the man is a lifelong Mets fan who has also been part owner for some time. He's watched, in misery as we have, the Wilpons run this organization into the ground. He has zero need to own an MLB team to enhance his wealth. Does he want to enhance his wealth with the Mets - sure, who wouldn't? But I think Cohen understands that to enhance the value of a MLB organization you have to 1) have the capital to invest to make it a top organization, 2) invest that capital, 3) create a powerful developmental program that creates a steady flow of high end young talent, and 4) win.

    Without all of the above, this is a bad investment for Cohen. So what's his incentive to not invest in the team to win? The Wilpons on the other hand never had the real capital to run the team, so they couldn't get past the first step. They had no business at all owning this team. This is an entirely different situation.

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  5. #860
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,754
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    You're being objectively non-objective with respect to Cohen here. I have no glorified view of a hedge fund manager who was essentially under SEC investigation for a decade before he finally ponied up a billion dollars (fun fact, my sister has worked as global chief compliance officer for several international hedge funds over the years and they all know what Cohen was up to was skirting the rules for years.

    All that said, the man is a lifelong Mets fan who has also been part owner for some time. He's watched, in misery as we have, the Wilpons run this organization into the ground. He has zero need to own an MLB team to enhance his wealth. Does he want to enhance his wealth with the Mets - sure, who wouldn't? But I think Cohen understands that to enhance the value of a MLB organization you have to 1) have the capital to invest to make it a top organization, 2) invest that capital, 3) create a powerful developmental program that creates a steady flow of high end young talent, and 4) win.

    Without all of the above, this is a bad investment for Cohen. So what's his incentive to not invest in the team to win? The Wilpons on the other hand never had the real capital to run the team, so they couldn't get past the first step. They had no business at all owning this team. This is an entirely different situation.
    I would have at least hoped you would have said something about depressing a hyena. But ok.

  6. #861
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,378
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I would have at least hoped you would have said something about depressing a hyena. But ok.
    I'd never accuse you of being George Washington.

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  7. #862
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Flushing, 10/16/69
    Posts
    2,160
    Does anyone know when teams will be allowed to start bidding on free agents this post season? I'm curious about that start date in relation to the date that Cohen gets approved (or not) by the owners. One would think that Cohen, anticipating approval, is already speaking to his future braintrust and is making something of a plan of attack. I'd hate to have a matter of a few weeks impact our ability to get in on someone from the get go. That said, I'm guessing this off season will be odd, and the FA period unprecedented because of the unknowns, and that any top tier player with half a brain would wait around for Cohen to participate, creating competition and driving up prices.

  8. #863
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,754
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    I'd never accuse you of being George Washington.
    Lol touche

  9. #864
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    40,250
    Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    Does anyone know when teams will be allowed to start bidding on free agents this post season? I'm curious about that start date in relation to the date that Cohen gets approved (or not) by the owners. One would think that Cohen, anticipating approval, is already speaking to his future braintrust and is making something of a plan of attack. I'd hate to have a matter of a few weeks impact our ability to get in on someone from the get go. That said, I'm guessing this off season will be odd, and the FA period unprecedented because of the unknowns, and that any top tier player with half a brain would wait around for Cohen to participate, creating competition and driving up prices.
    That's a good question. Usually FA starts sometime in early November. Sounds like the baseball season will end similarly in terms of previous seasons in late October. Maybe they push FA back until there is a clearer picture of if fans can attend next year. That will certainly have an affect on FA value. Uncertainty about fan revenue next year drives down the price even on the best talent imo.

    We will see. The problem is MLB and the MLBPA seem to negotiate everything in compartments. They are probably waiting for the WS to end before they make a decision on what the offseason will be like. That in turn will probably cause another stalemate between the two sides.

  10. #865
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Flushing, 10/16/69
    Posts
    2,160
    I can't find a definitive date for when FA 2020 starts. Usually it's about a week after the WS. Might not be a big deal now because Newsday is reporting that MLB might vote earlier than the late November meetings, which would even things out a bit. Hopefully he's all in building a FO as we speak. One No vote is expected to come from Reinsdorf, though not sure why.

  11. #866
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,754
    Further articulating my cynicism about Cohen, it's important to note his $2.4 billion didn't net him SNY. The Wilpons and others still own that franchise.

    So to further pontificate, what would happen to the value of a non Cohen property if he were to pour his money into the Mets and turn them into must watch TV across the tri state area?

    SNY would become even more profitable, even more valuable. The Mets? They're already the second most valuable piece of property in MLB. Doubtful they'll be eclipsing the Yankees anytime soon.

    On the other hand, can anyone really see this world class hedge fund champion really spend so much money to benefit someone else's business?

    Hmmmm.

  12. #867
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,378
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Further articulating my cynicism about Cohen, it's important to note his $2.4 billion didn't net him SNY. The Wilpons and others still own that franchise.

    So to further pontificate, what would happen to the value of a non Cohen property if he were to pour his money into the Mets and turn them into must watch TV across the tri state area?

    SNY would become even more profitable, even more valuable. The Mets? They're already the second most valuable piece of property in MLB. Doubtful they'll be eclipsing the Yankees anytime soon.

    On the other hand, can anyone really see this world class hedge fund champion really spend so much money to benefit someone else's business?

    Hmmmm.
    You literally just described the best case scenario for every MLB owner and TV network owner with a regional contract in the country.

    What's wrong with this? For SNY to become must see TV during baseball season the Mets have to be a perennial WS contender. If that happens then (post COVID) Citi Field is always filled. The Mets franchise becomes much more valuable. Cohen's net worth goes up by a billion or so.

    You're really grasping for cynicism here my friend.

    Also, SNY's contract is up by 2030. The bulk of their value is tied to the Mets. After the Mets that's a garbage asset. So it really only is a matter of time before they sell it to Cohen, or face the risk of just letting the asset collapse in 10 years.

    My guess is Fred and Jeff want to squeeze as much out of this teet for as long as they can and then are forced to sell to Cohen within a few years or face an oncoming train of value collapse.

    I'll go so far as to bet every year they delay the sale to Cohen will shave value off their sales price.

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  13. #868
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    105,725
    Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    Does anyone know when teams will be allowed to start bidding on free agents this post season? I'm curious about that start date in relation to the date that Cohen gets approved (or not) by the owners. One would think that Cohen, anticipating approval, is already speaking to his future braintrust and is making something of a plan of attack. I'd hate to have a matter of a few weeks impact our ability to get in on someone from the get go. That said, I'm guessing this off season will be odd, and the FA period unprecedented because of the unknowns, and that any top tier player with half a brain would wait around for Cohen to participate, creating competition and driving up prices.
    The owner will meet before FA starts to approve or not approve the sale, thatís how they always do it, to be fair to that team in tradition.

    But their is a rumor that they will meet before November to vote, I assume they can do this via zoom and just get it over with.

  14. #869
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    105,725
    Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    I can't find a definitive date for when FA 2020 starts. Usually it's about a week after the WS. Might not be a big deal now because Newsday is reporting that MLB might vote earlier than the late November meetings, which would even things out a bit. Hopefully he's all in building a FO as we speak. One No vote is expected to come from Reinsdorf, though not sure why.
    I heard two owners will likely vote no, but most others will vote yes.

  15. #870
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    51,594
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Further articulating my cynicism about Cohen, it's important to note his $2.4 billion didn't net him SNY. The Wilpons and others still own that franchise.

    So to further pontificate, what would happen to the value of a non Cohen property if he were to pour his money into the Mets and turn them into must watch TV across the tri state area?

    SNY would become even more profitable, even more valuable. The Mets? They're already the second most valuable piece of property in MLB. Doubtful they'll be eclipsing the Yankees anytime soon.

    On the other hand, can anyone really see this world class hedge fund champion really spend so much money to benefit someone else's business?

    Hmmmm.
    Streaming service that would compete with SNY. My guess he will buy SNY and give an option as a streaming service.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 58 of 79 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •