Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The Wilpons have reportedly lost 60 million dollars the last two years. They can't keep bleeding money like that and continue owning the team so it makes sense they are looking to move it. To me whatever gets them the **** out is a good thing. If its not Cohen so be it. As long its not someone named Wilpon or Katz.
    As Mike Francessa was always fond of saying, if you can't afford to pay for the chips, don't sit down at the table.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    As Mike Francessa was always fond of saying, if you can't afford to pay for the chips, don't sit down at the table.
    When I go to Vegas I play at the $1/$3 no limit hold'em tables at Aria. I start with $200 and usually walk away once I've hit $1000 or lost $400.

The moral of the story is there's a table for everyone.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Too bad we weren't flies on that wall. We may have heard something like this.

Cohen: So let me get this straight. You want to sell me controlling interest in the team, yet you two remain CEO and COO and run stuff with my money for the next 5 years and you want Jeff to get a raise?
    Fred: Yes, that is correct.
    Cohen: Fuggedaboutit! Your boy can't even tie his own shoes, much less run a team in any capacity. I'm out!

Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    Too bad we weren't flies on that wall. We may have heard something like this.

Cohen: So let me get this straight. You want to sell me controlling interest in the team, yet you two remain CEO and COO and run stuff with my money for the next 5 years and you want Jeff to get a raise?
    Fred: Yes, that is correct.
    Cohen: Fuggedaboutit! Your boy can't even tie his own shoes, much less run a team in any capacity. I'm out!
    Dude.

His name his Steven Cohen, not Tony Amendoluna or some other name that ends in a vowel. More likely he'd have said something like this:

Cohen: What, you think I'm a Schmuck? Tell your boy Jeffrey he has as about much chance of running my team or getting his raise as Bernie Sanders does of becoming the Mayor of Jerusalem! Now get the hell out of here!
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    When I go to Vegas I play at the $1/$3 no limit hold'em tables at Aria. I start with $200 and usually walk away once I've hit $1000 or lost $400.

The moral of the story is there's a table for everyone.
    Indeed. And just like some play in the majors, others play in beer leagues.

How is that worse than new investors coming in and allowing the Wilpons to continue to run the show?
    Well considering the fact that Bradley Wilpon works for the firm they hire to see the team, I now believe that they will try to find a buyer that will allow baby Huey to stay as COO and yes that’s the absolute worst thing that can happen.

Well considering the fact that Bradley Wilpon works for the firm they hire to see the team, I now believe that they will try to find a buyer that will allow baby Huey to stay as COO and yes that’s the absolute worst thing that can happen.
    i think there are 0.0% of people in this world that will ever cede the rights to control something they purchased for north of 3 billion dollars to Baby Wilpon. im hoping so anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
    i think there are 0.0% of people in this world that will ever cede the rights to control something they purchased for north of 3 billion dollars to Baby Wilpon. im hoping so anyways.
    This is my feeling too. I can't see someone buying that much of the team and letting the Wilpons run it, especially now seeing how they handled the situation with Cohen. If I'm a buyer at that price, I want control from day 1.

Just so long as we understand each other.

To be clear, if Fred and Jeff still want to be in charge, then they're not looking for buyers, they're looking for investors. I can't imagine anyone wanting to invest in a majority share without taking a controlling interest. These people didn't get to be billionaires by being morons.

Just so long as we understand each other.

To be clear, if Fred and Jeff still want to be in charge, then they're not looking for buyers, they're looking for investors. I can't imagine anyone wanting to invest in a majority share without taking a controlling interest. These people didn't get to be billionaires by being morons.
    I get it though. The nepotism of Bradley Wilpon working for the firm that is going to sell the Mets would scare me a bit and who is to say they aren't looking for a significant investor? Someone who will buy a large part of the team but keep the Wilpons as majority owners. I would hope that isn't the case but you never know.

A lot of this sounds sketchy. The fact that Cohen wasn't buying SNY as part of his deal to buy the Mets (I'm aware they are separate entities), the fact that the Wilpons had any working titles when Cohen was going to buy 80% of the team, etc. Hopefully whoever buys the Mets, buys SNY as well and there are no Wilpon traces left associated with this organization.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-07-2020 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I get it though. The nepotism of Bradley Wilpon working for the firm that is going to sell the Mets would scare me a bit and who is to say they aren't looking for a significant investor? Someone who will buy a large part of the team but keep the Wilpons as majority owners. I would hope that isn't the case but you never know.

A lot of this sounds sketchy. The fact that Cohen wasn't buying SNY as part of his deal to buy the Mets (I'm aware they are separate entities), the fact that the Wilpons had any working titles when Cohen was going to buy 80% of the team, etc. Hopefully whoever buys the Mets, buys SNY as well and there are no Wilpon traces left associated with this organization.
    Again, then they'd be searching for investors, not buyers. But he's not looking for investors. And buyers would simply steer clear.

Goes back to what I said a few days ago. As much as Jeffrey would like it to be so, he can't have his cake and eat it too, no matter who he employs to do his search.

It wouldn't surprise me if they end up making nice-nice with Cohen after all. What they want and what they can have are two different things.

If it was a matter of finding a major investor so he could keep running the show, he would have done that a long time ago. But that's not reality. The Mets/SNY tangle is just so much corporate speak. No, Jeff, you don't get to sell the Mets while holding on to SNY. No one wants your Mets without SNY.

I still think we haven't heard the last of Steven Cohen. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 02-07-2020 at 02:22 PM.

I feel like I am in an 80's slasher movie, where the Killer (Wilpons) won't die, and like a fool, I keep sticking around hoping everything will get better.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    I feel like I am in an 80's slasher movie, where the Killer (Wilpons) won't die, and like a fool, I keep sticking around hoping everything will get better.
    It's a 2-hour movie, maybe 2 hours and 15 minutes if it's a bad editing job. We're only at the 28-minute point. The good news is that it's still bound to be a better movie than The Irishman.

Why would anyone allow them to double dip that way? That's asking someone to give them a huge chunk of money up front and then to also pay a member of the family in perpetuity. How the **** does that make sense for anyone? Also, if they are actually desperate for cash and need to sell the team, then how the **** do they have any leverage in determining anything like that?

Are you serious? Wow. The Wilpons just can't do anything without meddling and making a mess of things.

Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast