Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 68 of 78 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1166

Cohen buying the Mets (Post # 134, Team to be put up for auction)

This is just another reason to hate deBlasio.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Why hate him on something he has not done? The ability may be there but I seriously doubt he would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    It’s New York City.

While MLB owners are scheduled to vote Nov. 17 on whether to approve Cohen at their owners’ meetings in Dallas, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio could torpedo Cohen’s plans before it even reaches a vote.

The 2006 Stadium Lease Agreement between the New York City Industrial Development Agency and Queens Ballpark Company provides the city consent rights to deny the Mets and their stadium be transferred to a person who has committed a felony.

Cohen was never charged with a crime, but in 2013 his former hedge-fund company, S.A.C. Capital Investors, pleaded guilty to securities fraud and wire fraud. The company agreed to pay $1.8 billion in fines in one of the largest criminal cases against a hedge fund. Cohen, in a civil suit with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, was prohibited from managing outside money for two years.

In the stadium lease agreement, Cohen is technically classified as a “prohibited person,’’ which the agreement defines as “any person that has been convicted in a criminal proceeding for a felony or any crime involving moral turpitude.’’

Mayor de Blasio and his office, under section 17.01 of the lease agreement, have the legal right to determine whether to approve the sale. The New York City Mayor’s office has a 30-day window, which was triggered last week, to complete their vetting process.

“The Mayor has an obligation to the people of New York City,’’ press secretary Bill Neidhardt told USA TODAY Sports, “to closely examine new leases on culturally important and incredibly valuable city-owned land.’’

If de Blasio rejects or even delays the $2.475 billion sale, the Mets’ ownership led by Fred Wilpon, would have to decide whether to simply wait, or re-open the bidding process.

The MLB ownership committee voted 7-1 on Tuesday to recommend the approval of Cohen to the Executive Council, which will then make its recommendation to the 30 clubs. Cohen must receive 23 of the 30 votes by clubs to be approved.

If Cohen’s purchase gets held up with de Blasio, it could cause further consternation among MLB owners, with several already planning to vote against his approval.

MLB owners are scheduled to make the official decision in three weeks whether to welcome Cohen into their fraternity, but if New York City rejects the Cohen sale, the call will be made for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    Why is this just coming up now? Nothing about this is new.
    Because it’s likely fake news and an attempt at getting more clicks. What a shock from the classless media

Why hate him on something he has not done? The ability may be there but I seriously doubt he would do it.
    My hatred for DeBlasio stems well beyond this situation.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

This guy is absolutely ridiculous. This is an obvious attempt to strong arm cohen to get something under the table or for deblasio to hook up one of his rich buddies. How this guy is still around is disgusting. How can this even be a case if cohen already owned a small percentage

Even DeBlasio is not be that stupid.

He is just holding the Mets up for a concession.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 10-22-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Theoretically. But ultimately it's about making decisions and choosing the sources and the data on which to base those decisions. And this conversation is about whether Cohen should choose between spending a boatload of money on the best available talent versus spending on the data that will find the overlooked players who the team needs more than the so-called best available.

As for me, I'm good just trying to find the best available burger or steak joint during the off season. But that's just me.
    I’ll go for a seafood restaurant given the proximity of CitiField to Flushing. :-)

With the World Series set to end next Wednesday at the latest, a vote on Steve Cohen’s bid to purchase the Mets could come as soon as next Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, according to executives familiar with the process.

But the vote is not yet scheduled, in part because the parties involved in the sale want to be sure that any outstanding issue with New York City mayor Bill de Blasio is resolved before the league’s owners decide if they are going to approve Cohen, according to sources.

Cohen needs 23 out of 30 votes in order to take control of the Mets.

As USA Today first reported, de Blasio technically has the right to block the sale to “any person that has been convicted in a criminal proceeding for a felony or any crime involving moral turpitude.’’

The company that Cohen founded, S.A.C. Capital, pleaded guilty in 2018 to securities fraud and wire fraud and paid $1.8 billion in fines. But Cohen was not personally charged with a crime, making it unclear what grounds de Blasio would have to block the deal.

But, per sources, the parties involved in the sale were aware of the de Blasio situation long before it surfaced publicly. League officials want it fully settled before the MLB vote.

If there is a delay beyond next week, this will be the likely reason. Both the Mets’ current ownership and Cohen hope for de Blasio’s blessing by then, so they can proceed with the vote.

Once Cohen is approved -- and, as SNY has been reporting, that is the expected outcome -- he and incoming team president Sandy Alderson will be able to move forward with both their search for a head of baseball operations and building a roster for 2021.

ARod just does not want to go away. He claims he would of raised the payroll to 225 million.

Cohen will be approved. This is just the media fanning flames because there is nothing much to talk about. The other owners want Cohens money in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Cohen will be approved. This is just the media fanning flames because there is nothing much to talk about. The other owners want Cohens money in the league.
    Yes, that's all this is.

NYC needs Cohen's $.

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

I just things hilarious that so many people wanted Jlo and ARod to be owners just because of the image. Yeah as a Latino is nice to have Latin owners own clubs but this group just did not have the money or the long term plan to really make this team what it should be. I mean ARod was willing to keep Jeffy on an important role.

I just things hilarious that so many people wanted Jlo and ARod to be owners just because of the image. Yeah as a Latino is nice to have Latin owners own clubs but this group just did not have the money or the long term plan to really make this team what it should be. I mean ARod was willing to keep Jeffy on an important role.
    Yeah, as a half Latino myself I was against it also. LOL
    I don’t care what nationality You are, just put the team first and make us competitive

Any time media brings up jRods nationality as a PRO reason for their ownership candidacy..should really research what Cohens wife's is...never gets mentioned..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Page 68 of 78 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast