Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 65 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    That is exactly my concern since all of the owners are going to cry broke due to Covid. They are going to collude to tamp down FA spending this offseason. There might be a lot of accepted qualifying offers.
    Not a lot of FA this year to open the wallet for

I doubt that Cohen, once approved, will give a **** about what the other owners think. He'll likely tell Alderson and his GM his big picture goals -- for instance, blow it up or be aggressive and go for it -- and they'll execute against that. Beyond initially placating owners, I see Alderson's value as assessing and providing holistic oversight of all operations, from scouting to analytics to international.

Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    I doubt that Cohen, once approved, will give a **** about what the other owners think. He'll likely tell Alderson and his GM his big picture goals -- for instance, blow it up or be aggressive and go for it -- and they'll execute against that. Beyond initially placating owners, I see Alderson's value as assessing and providing holistic oversight of all operations, from scouting to analytics to international.
    Let's just hope Alderson hires a GM who is looking to win next year. This team has the pieces. No reason to blow it up and rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Let's just hope Alderson hires a GM who is looking to win next year. This team has the pieces. No reason to blow it up and rebuild.
    My gut says Cohen will believe they can win next year; ideally Alderson makes the best, smartest move for GM, rather than the safest, and he knows enough to let him/her execute a plan.

Alderson if nothing else will be a better team President than Jeffrey. That's the starting point. So kudos to Cohen (and kudos to FoC for the aliteration) for bringing in a smart baseball man who should be able to find other smart baseball men to properly run the team.

The thIng with Alderson's first tenure is that he was continually hamstrung by Jeff's hands-on involvement. He'll have no similar handicaps this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Alderson if nothing else will be a better team President than Jeffrey. That's the starting point. So kudos to Cohen (and kudos to FoC for the aliteration) for bringing in a smart baseball man who should be able to find other smart baseball men to properly run the team.

The thIng with Alderson's first tenure is that he was continually hamstrung by Jeff's hands-on involvement. He'll have no similar handicaps this time around.
    Alderson is a solid leader in constructing a quality front office. He revamped the scouting department and player development. He was in charge of cultivating the talent throughout this roster. He was shrewd in his trade dealings and most importantly brought respectability to the Mets that were owned by the Wilpons.

As a talent evaluator, I have my doubts. But as a man who can assemble a quality Front Office I'm all in. The nice thing is that Steve isn't married to a single employee in this franchise so he will not be forced to have a "handicap" this time around.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post

A slow off-season is equal to doing nothing. If they are going to stay in the secondary market for talent because Alderson likes the market to come back to him, they might as well blow it up. Either this team is all in and makes a genuine effort in FA and trade or they should rebuild.

This is a win now team though. Whoever is in charge should treat it as such.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-25-2020 at 08:46 PM.

Anderson is a very good executive and his biggest strength during his tenure as GM was a commitment to acquiring and developing young talent.

He attracted good young talent in the FO. He was not good at FA talent acquisition at all. How much of that was Jeff? I donít know - but Iíd like a GM who will go for it while deGrom remains in his prime and as our solid young core continues to hit its stride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry. He's got this.

I donít think Cohen or Alderson intend on blowing things up.

They know they have a win now team, but they need to add to the core and not half *** it like the Wilpons did.

Iíll give Alderson the benefit of the doubt, I was very critical of him in his tenure here, but I do understand that he had ****** owners who would move the goal posts as far as how much they could spend year in and year out, well now it seems he has a guy who wonít be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I donít think Cohen or Alderson intend on blowing things up.

They know they have a win now team, but they need to add to the core and not half *** it like the Wilpons did.

Iíll give Alderson the benefit of the doubt, I was very critical of him in his tenure here, but I do understand that he had ****** owners who would move the goal posts as far as how much they could spend year in and year out, well now it seems he has a guy who wonít be cheap.
    I am worried they will half *** it because Alderson by nature is a very methodical decision maker. I don't see him hiring someone unlike that ilk either. We'll see but I could see this offseason being very similar to what we saw when Alderson was here last time. I understand he has significantly more resources at his disposal but that doesn't necessarily they act on those resources.

Like Gotta said, it would be smart to act now with deGrom being in the midst of his prime and with the talent they have.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-26-2020 at 03:12 AM.

I think the Johnson family is quickly establishing themselves as one of the worst owners in NY history.

The Johnsons are god awful. Unlike the Wilpons they are y cheap but they are simply stupid. They have literally no idea how to run a franchise. I like Joe Douglas but I doubt it was their idea. Hiring Adam Gase was a massive mistake. From what Iíve heard Peyton Manning is the one who convinced them to hire Gase which is pretty pathetic when you think about it. Anybody who is a Jet fan knows that Manning had two chances to be a Jet and never wanted to be so now all of a sudden he wants to help us lol.

hated alderson for awhile but theres no doubt he rebuilt the farm system and kept them out of horrible long term deals

we will get to see his vision now without wilpon meddling

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 65 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast