Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 62 of 70 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast
Results 916 to 930 of 1050
  1. #916
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50,613
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I was just speaking in generalities. It just shows how people have short term memories. I don't mind Sandy in a consultant role. I just don't want too many cooks in the kitchen. If they fire Brodie, get a guy who has a track record of recent success or an up and comer.

    Slow and methodical was an understatement and sure the farm system would have been good but given Sandys track record, offseasons would have been continual bores. FOC is right in the sense that Sandy always wanted to do more with less. That goes back to his days in Oakland.
    I know you were speaking about a macro view.

    I want Sandy as the President of Baseball Operations. Sandy in year 5 took this beleaguered franchise that was flat broke to the WS. What has all the off-season excitement have gotten us over the past two years. No where.

    Hell, half of the league makes the playoffs this year, and this team will be watching from home while the Marlins will be playing.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  2. #917
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    No way Wheeler would still be a Met. Mets wouldve QOd him and let him walk.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why would you say that, they have 47 million tied up in Stroman, Lowrie and Cano.
    I would rather have Wheeler and 26 million. But that's me.

    They spent all that money for 1.3 WAR.

    Could have had Zack with all that money, still a good farm and a WAR of 1.6.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  3. #918
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50,613
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    100%. Sandy didn't like long term deals. Thats why he was right up the Wilpons alley.
    David Wright says hi.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  4. #919
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    38,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    David Wright says hi.
    David Wright was the face of the franchise. One deal in 8 years and they did at the expense of not even offering Jose Reyes a contract.

  5. #920
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50,613
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    David Wright was the face of the franchise. One deal in 8 years and they did at the expense of not even offering Jose Reyes a contract.
    So now you are just moving the goalposts.

    He offered Cespedes a big contract for a team that was basically broke.
    So in essence, he offered 2 100+ million contracts.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  6. #921
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    38,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    So now you are just moving the goalposts.

    He offered Cespedes a big contract for a team that was basically broke.
    So in essence, he offered 2 100+ million contracts.
    I am not moving goalposts. One long term deal in 8 seasons as GM gives us all the evidence we need.

    He offered Cespedes a 4 year deal. In line with his version of a "long term deal". If Cespedes would have gotten a 5 or 6 year offer from another team, he would have worn another uniform. In hindsight, we wish that team would have existed.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-21-2020 at 06:07 PM.

  7. #922
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50,613
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I am not moving goalposts. One long term deal in 8 seasons as GM gives us all the evidence we need.

    He offered Cespedes a 4 year deal. In line with his version of a "long term deal". If Cespedes would have gotten a 5 or 6 year offer for another team, he would have worn another uniform. In hindsight, we wish that team would have existed.
    But he is not adverse in handing out 110 million for Cespedes.

    There was no need to offer Cespedes 5 or 6 years if he was willing to take 4. Sandy didn't bid against himself.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  8. #923
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    38,098
    The Wilsons are cheap *******s but they aren't stupid. They weren't letting Wright walk under any circumstances. It would have been awful PR after letting Reyes walk to have Wright go as well.

  9. #924
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    38,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    But he is not adverse in handing out 110 million for Cespedes.

    There was no need to offer Cespedes 5 or 6 years if he was willing to take 4. Sandy didn't bid against himself.
    There's little evidence to suggest Alderson signs Wheeler if he is GM. I understand why you would want to believe that but the Wilpons don't make it regular practice to hand out long term deals. They were in the mindset of selling the team and they still wouldn't sign Wheeler.

  10. #925
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,185
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    100%. Sandy didn't like long term deals. Thats why he was right up the Wilpons alley.
    Every GM deserves a fair assessment of what he's done well and what he's not done well.

    Alderson was excellent at drafting and developing young talent. Also great at flipping older players for solid young talent. He did a good job keeping those players to build the Mets pipeline. He was terrible with free agency and acquiring higher level talent.

    BVW has drafted well. He's also good at luring free agents because he has that skill set. But his weakness is the kind that erodes the foundation of a team. He doesn't value young talent and flips it for garbage in return. His GM view is completely unsustainable for an organization.

    Both were probably impaired badly by the Wilpons.

    I'm fine with each of them not being GM but advisors in various capacities.

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  11. #926
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    38,098
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Every GM deserves a fair assessment of what he's done well and what he's not done well.

    Alderson was excellent at drafting and developing young talent. Also great at flipping older players for solid young talent. He did a good job keeping those players to build the Mets pipeline. He was terrible with free agency and acquiring higher level talent.

    BVW has drafted well. He's also good at luring free agents because he has that skill set. But his weakness is the kind that erodes the foundation of a team. He doesn't value young talent and flips it for garbage in return. His GM view is completely unsustainable for an organization.

    Both were probably impaired badly by the Wilpons.

    I'm fine with each of them not being GM but advisors in various capacities.
    I am good with Sandy coming back. I wasn't commenting on Met fans in this forum either. I just remember all the **** Alderson got from Met fans in media and on social media. Now they welcome back him back with open arms.

    I just want new blood if they are cleaning house. No one previously associated with this organization making decisions. Give me Epstein, Cashman, Rick Hahn, AJ Preller, whoever who has shown they can operate a farm system, build a strong foundation, and make big FA splashes.

    The more that is out there, the less confident I am the Mets will be big players in FA next year. Its a shame because they aren't far off.

  12. #927
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    38,098

  13. #928
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    103,499
    Yeah and am more than ok with that.

    I appreciate the fact that he was active and willing to take risks but his big deal deal not work out as expected and his dumping of prospects left and right for marginal players was so ill advice and a detriment to the teams long term success.

    Can we have somebody thats not slow to move like Alderson but not quick to pull the trigger like Brody.

  14. #929
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    68,791
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    I know you were speaking about a macro view.

    I want Sandy as the President of Baseball Operations. Sandy in year 5 took this beleaguered franchise that was flat broke to the WS. What has all the off-season excitement have gotten us over the past two years. No where.

    Hell, half of the league makes the playoffs this year, and this team will be watching from home while the Marlins will be playing.
    The Nationals were 19-31 after 50 games last season and won the WS. This season is a crapshoot as far as Im concerned.

    Id prefer that Brodie gets one more year to right the ship with Cohen, but Im okay if Cohen wants to bring in his own guys instead too.

  15. #930
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,413
    Well, the very fact that with Cohen in charge we won't have a Fredo mucking up the joint can only be a push in the right direction.

Page 62 of 70 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •